Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 242

Thread: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Look, I could understand the pastor refusing to do the funeral when they first approached him. But if he has this kind of bias, he should do the homework up front to find out if the dead person is gay or not.

    Once the funeral is underway - there is no way he should have stopped and demanded that that pictures be removed. That is a gross dereliction of his pastoral duties in my opinion.

    Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay - The Denver Post
    Private property, they can do what they want.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Perhaps the Pastor remembered that God has in fact judged the behavior to be sinful.
    And God still may. That is up to God, not the pastor.

    And since when dont churches allow sinners in? Er...they'd be empty, now wouldnt they? And not all of those sinners have renounced their sins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #13
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    WOW

    In my opinion the pastor is complete, ignorant, hateful douchebag and im surprised somebody didnt punch him right in the face

    With that said if this was a church it had ever "right" to do so unless there was some type of contract that stated otherwise. Its gross but thats how it is and how rights work.

    Most certainly I would not pay them a dime or fight to get my money back if already paid but AGAIN that would be based on if there was a contract allowing or not allowing that.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #14
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,464

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Private property, they can do what they want.
    Sure can. His ball, his bat, his rules. Doesn't make him any less an a-hole.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  5. #15
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,663

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And God still may. That is up to God, not the pastor.

    And since when dont churches allow sinners in? Er...they'd be empty, now wouldnt they? And not all of those sinners have renounced their sins.
    They DO allow sinners in. Thats not the point. The point is they dont allow celebration of the sin. It seems like such a simple compromise. Have the ceremony there, celebrate her life. If you want to celebrate her sexuality as part of her life, have it someplace else. No harm...no foul...and good for everyone.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    They DO allow sinners in. Thats not the point. The point is they dont allow celebration of the sin. It seems like such a simple compromise. Have the ceremony there, celebrate her life. If you want to celebrate her sexuality as part of her life, have it someplace else. No harm...no foul...and good for everyone.
    Why would they celebrate her 'sin?'

    Would they celebrate an alcoholic's drinking? A wife beater's abuse? A bank robber's thefts?

    No. They focus on forgiveness and remembering a PERSON, not a sin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #17
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,663

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why would they celebrate her 'sin?'

    Would they celebrate an alcoholic's drinking? A wife beater's abuse? A bank robber's thefts?

    No. They focus on forgiveness and remembering a PERSON, not a sin.
    I completely agree...so why could the family not comply with their very basic requirement that she not be seen in pictures kissing her girlfriend?

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I completely agree...so why could the family not comply with their very basic requirement that she not be seen in pictures kissing her girlfriend?
    Is kissing a loved one a sin? Or did the church just choose to interpret that? What if it was a married straight woman and they showed a pic of her kissing a man not her husband? Would everyone assume she was an adulteress?

    Her life is her life....a complete picture, not a snapshot of things the church doesnt 'like' or chooses to call out. How about if she was toasting friends in a pic and they objected to her drinking alcohol? Do a lot of churches take license to do those things or just ones that want to force their own judgement on people? Rather than, again, letting God do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #19
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,663

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is kissing a loved one a sin? Or did the church just choose to interpret that? What if it was a married straight woman and they showed a pic of her kissing a man not her husband? Would everyone assume she was an adulteress?

    Her life is her life....a complete picture, not a snapshot of things the church doesnt 'like' or chooses to call out. How about if she was toasting friends in a pic and they objected to her drinking alcohol? Do a lot of churches take license to do those things or just ones that want to force their own judgement on people? Rather than, again, letting God do so.
    What if the sky turned green and pooh stopped smelling like pooh?

    The simple fact is the church and family disagreed on what should be allowed and the family, rather than comply, chose to take their party elsewhere. Why is this a problem? Is it just because gawdammit....they didnt get their way?

    I dont think the family should have edited out people that were important to her. If they wanted to leave the pics in there then they should certainly be free to do so. Just hold the ceremony someplace else. Win win.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    What if the sky turned green and pooh stopped smelling like pooh?

    The simple fact is the church and family disagreed on what should be allowed and the family, rather than comply, chose to take their party elsewhere. Why is this a problem? Is it just because gawdammit....they didnt get their way?

    I dont think the family should have edited out people that were important to her. If they wanted to leave the pics in there then they should certainly be free to do so. Just hold the ceremony someplace else. Win win.
    I never said the church couldnt do it. I pointed out why it was selective, intolerant in the face of tolerance of other sins, and cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •