Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 242

Thread: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

  1. #101
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I have been to funerals at which there was no clergy. That is a choice people make.

    Your knee jerk reaction to feed your anti-religion bias leaves you not considering other possibilities here. That a bunch of lesbians were able to snatch the coffin up and parade it across the street and supposedly have a funeral on the spot at another location leaves me questioning whether or not this was already expected and planned for as a staged victimhood event.
    You say lesbians like that's a bad thing. And you say bias like you don't really understand what the word means.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #102
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Excuse me but the pastor told them ahead of time if they wanted him to officiate the funeral in his church, the same sex relationship could not be celebrated. Those who hired him did not honor that. If the family was not happy with the agreement, they could have sought someone else to do the service. They did not. If they wanted the same sex relationship highlighted in the service, they should have chose someone that was willing to do so.
    I think stopping a funeral in this way is hideous. But openly defying the agreement created the problem.

  3. #103
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    You say lesbians like that's a bad thing. And you say bias like you don't really understand what the word means.
    I say lesbian like it means a female who is sexually attracted to another female. Here you go, trolly, a gift, or in this case, a well deserved recognition of your contribution

  4. #104
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I am just finding this thread and am asking a favor, could you link me to where it talks about them springing anything on the church? I would appreciate it.
    Go back, read the whole OP and then the thread thus far. The info is there. The pastor knew of their gay marriage a week before the funeral. Rules were laid down. The pictures were brought in by the family and when the pastor asked for them to be taken down before he proceeded, they moved the whole shebang rather than follow the rules.

  5. #105
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I don't think you quite understand how this "tolerance" thing works. Obviously I don't like these demonstrations of religion, are you so amazed that I would have a difference of opinion? I'm here arguing for the church's right to run their church according to their principles, yet you have the nerve to call me a "hater?" If you want to see intolerance, look in the mirror and observe your belief that I don't have the right to disagree with the principles of your religion even though I'm arguing in favor of its followers having the right to practice their faith.
    Not at all consistent with what you've been posting here, and called on your hatred of religion you decide to go soft because you know it's hate. I know very well how tolerance works, I also know how to recognize tactics and games. We have not been discussing whether this church had the right to refuse blessing until the offending material was removed. We were discussing your kneejerk comments about cruelty and lack of forgiveness.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    So the pastor was okay with sending this sinner up into heaven.... as long as icky pictures weren't on display? The silliness of some religious ideas is incredible.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #107
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The pastor was upfront - it was those who arranged the funeral who chose to create a conflict, assuming that the pastor would allow them to run over the church. They are the ones who violated trust in this situation, and it is on their heads that the tragedy falls.
    That's not what the OP says. The pastor was mad because he saw the photos of her and her wife.

  8. #108
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,889

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I think stopping a funeral in this way is hideous. But openly defying the agreement created the problem.
    Hidious? I wouldn't use that word Nota. No one in this country should be forced to go against their moral conscience regardless. If they couldn't abide by the pastor's request to use his church, what choice did they give him? They had no respect whatsoever for the pastor and defied his wishes. Luckily for them the funeral home was just across the street.
    Last edited by vesper; 01-14-15 at 10:15 PM.

  9. #109
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I am just finding this thread and am asking a favor, could you link me to where it talks about them springing anything on the church? I would appreciate it.
    In the linked article in the OP, it says the family provided the pastor with a memorial video and it included images of her kissing and embracing her wife.

  10. #110
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    That's not what the OP says. The pastor was mad because he saw the photos of her and her wife.
    Yes. Because he had clearly said that he could not allow the church to be used to celebrate the homosexual lifestyle, specifically in the manner that they tried to. That was part of the deal - "Yes, we can do the funeral. But in order to hold true to our beliefs, we cannot do A, B, or C". They broke the deal.


    To shift it to a much more mundane example, if I were to ask to come into your house, and you were to reply "certainly, only take off those muddy boots please", and my reply was to stomp into your house with my boots on and wipe them off on your carpet.... I can't exactly complain when you ask me to leave that you are somehow being cruel to me. You let me into your house and I refused to follow the rules you asked me to.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •