Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 242

Thread: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

  1. #91
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I think this is excellent evidence as to why society cannot trust religious institutions with important parts of our lives. What does a funeral need a church or a preacher for? This pompous man has decided its his place to hurt a grieving family. Religious bigots picket funerals and hurt other mourners. Secular principles don't lead people to do this kind of thing. This is just one more thing that religion perverts.
    I have been to funerals at which there was no clergy. That is a choice people make.

    Your knee jerk reaction to feed your anti-religion bias leaves you not considering other possibilities here. That a bunch of lesbians were able to snatch the coffin up and parade it across the street and supposedly have a funeral on the spot at another location leaves me questioning whether or not this was already expected and planned for as a staged victimhood event.

  2. #92
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,889

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I have been to funerals at which there was no clergy. That is a choice people make.

    Your knee jerk reaction to feed your anti-religion bias leaves you not considering other possibilities here. That a bunch of lesbians were able to snatch the coffin up and parade it across the street and supposedly have a funeral on the spot at another location leaves me questioning whether or not this was already expected and planned for as a staged victimhood event.
    I've been to funerals where there was no clergy either. Family members/friends gave the Eulogy.
    If a Christian burial was so important, why didn't they seek someone who had no rejections against same sex couples? This pastor was willing to give the Eulogy but was unwilling to celebrate a same sex union. And they couldn't honor that. Why?

  3. #93
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Why are you confused by my use of the word "we?" Are you under the impression that I'm the only person here who wouldn't want to live in a society dictated by the church's views of right and wrong?
    No, I think you speak your hate filled ideas about religion from your own self and attempt to make it a group thing to avoid looking like the hater. The whole "society dictated by church rules" thing is your attempt to disguise your hatred behind a political issue (that has nothing to do with the thread in any event).

  4. #94
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    Again that "pastor" should have realised, as any normal person would, that this would be an onerous condition that could not possibly be enforced even if the family wanted it be enforced. Someone would have brought a picture of her and her wife together. Why is that so hard to understand? I am not saying the "pastor" wasn't within his rights to do what he did. He was, however, everyone should denounce him as the cruel bastard he is for doing what he did.
    Bull**** plain and simple. The pastor did not come to them soliciting his funeral services, THEY came to him, to his church. If they couldn't live with that church's rules they were always free to go elsewhere. Instead they agreed to follow his rules and the day of tried to pull a fast one figuring he would be stuck.

  5. #95
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, I think you speak your hate filled ideas about religion from your own self and attempt to make it a group thing to avoid looking like the hater. The whole "society dictated by church rules" thing is your attempt to disguise your hatred behind a political issue (that has nothing to do with the thread in any event).
    1. Do you agree with me that the church had the right to stop the funeral and fire the pregnant woman for not marrying in a timely manner?
    2. Do you agree with me that the church should be upfront and honest about their principles and shouldn't be afraid to demonstrate them?
    3. Do you agree that we should be allowed to come to our own decision after witnessing such principles in action and decide for ourselves if that's the kind of society we'd want to live in?

  6. #96
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    1. Do you agree with me that the church had the right to stop the funeral and fire the pregnant woman for not marrying in a timely manner?
    2. Do you agree with me that the church should be upfront and honest about their principles and shouldn't be afraid to demonstrate them?
    3. Do you agree that we should be allowed to come to our own decision after witnessing such principles in action and decide for ourselves if that's the kind of society we'd want to live in?
    You can stop the twisting and spinning now, I do not agree with your knee jerk hatred of religion and people's spirituality. It drips from your posts and the hatred you express is easy to see, you cannot run from that.

  7. #97
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Bull**** plain and simple. The pastor did not come to them soliciting his funeral services, THEY came to him, to his church. If they couldn't live with that church's rules they were always free to go elsewhere. Instead they agreed to follow his rules and the day of tried to pull a fast one figuring he would be stuck.
    I am just finding this thread and am asking a favor, could you link me to where it talks about them springing anything on the church? I would appreciate it.

  8. #98
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You can stop the twisting and spinning now, I do not agree with your knee jerk hatred of religion and people's spirituality. It drips from your posts and the hatred you express is easy to see, you cannot run from that.
    I don't think you quite understand how this "tolerance" thing works. Obviously I don't like these demonstrations of religion, are you so amazed that I would have a difference of opinion? I'm here arguing for the church's right to run their church according to their principles, yet you have the nerve to call me a "hater?" If you want to see intolerance, look in the mirror and observe your belief that I don't have the right to disagree with the principles of your religion even though I'm arguing in favor of its followers having the right to practice their faith.

  9. #99
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,125

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    This story is outrageous and it makes Christianity look bad. The pastor was clearly wrong. Stopping a funeral is beyond offensive, and the family will always remember his actions on a day that was already tragic. His actions hurt dozens of innocent people, and for no good reason.

    I agree, if he has issues with performing funerals for LGBT people then he should be upfront about it.
    The pastor was upfront - it was those who arranged the funeral who chose to create a conflict, assuming that the pastor would allow them to run over the church. They are the ones who violated trust in this situation, and it is on their heads that the tragedy falls.

  10. #100
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I've been to funerals where there was no clergy either. Family members/friends gave the Eulogy.
    If a Christian burial was so important, why didn't they seek someone who had no rejections against same sex couples? This pastor was willing to give the Eulogy but was unwilling to celebrate a same sex union. And they couldn't honor that. Why?
    Because that was his choice. The article in the OP at least implies that the minister had conditions attached to his willingness to perform the service and the lesbian horde undermined his terms and now expect New Hope Ministry to pay for the funeral which makes even less sense unless they were plotting this. Too much coincidence here for me to believe that there is not something relevant not being said by the deceased woman's activist posse.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •