Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 266

Thread: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

  1. #231
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    There is a difference between 'refusing' and just simply cannot.
    Thank you for stating the obvious. Apparently not all lefties are gifted enough to understand plain English but maybe you have helped out your less erudite comrades with that important observation.

    But that is why some people may end up getting tossed in the clink for welching on their debts. If the court finds it calculated and wilful, i.e. THEFT, then I understand why the court might think a little time-out to think about it all might be in order.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #232
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Thank you for stating the obvious. Apparently not all lefties are gifted enough to understand plain English but maybe you have helped out your less erudite comrades with that important observation.

    But that is why some people may end up getting tossed in the clink for welching on their debts. If the court finds it calculated and wilful, i.e. THEFT, then I understand why the court might think a little time-out to think about it all might be in order.
    Um, no. They actually are not getting put into a cell until the judge sees that they are unable to pay for something and it may not be from a lender. It could be something like a traffic or parking ticket. If they had the money to pay it, they wouldn't be sent to jail. So, it goes back to they are put in a cage because they don't have the money/means to pay.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Um, no. They actually are not getting put into a cell until the judge sees that they are unable to pay for something and it may not be from a lender. It could be something like a traffic or parking ticket. If they had the money to pay it, they wouldn't be sent to jail. So, it goes back to they are put in a cage because they are don't have the money.
    Well, lucky them! Free room and board, then. For someone that doesn't have any money, that's not such a bad deal, huh?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #234
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Well, lucky them! Free room and board, then. For someone that doesn't have any money, that's not such a bad deal, huh?
    Having your freedom taken away because you are poor?

  5. #235
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Having your freedom taken away because you are poor?
    More like because you couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge your personal responsibilities.

    Under the law, debtors aren't arrested for nonpayment, but rather for failing to respond to court hearings, pay legal fines, or otherwise showing "contempt of court" in connection with a creditor lawsuit.
    If you can't be bothered to even respond to actions your creditors are taking to try to recover what you owe and won't pay, then you're going to have to deal with the consequences. Act like an adult and you don't have to worry about such extreme measures. The court doesn't like to be held in contempt.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #236
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    More like because you couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge your personal responsibilities.



    If you can't be bothered to even respond to actions your creditors are taking to try to recover what you owe and won't pay, then you're going to have to deal with the consequences. Act like an adult and you don't have to worry about such extreme measures. The court doesn't like to be held in contempt.
    Strawman. That is not at all what the other poster I were even talking about when you responded. We were talking about people getting put in prison because they were too poor to pay violations. This is being challenged. It's not legal to put people in prisoners for being too poor to pay a bill but my response was that seems the way some people would like it. Thank you for proving my point btw.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Um, no. They actually are not getting put into a cell until the judge sees that they are unable to pay for something and it may not be from a lender. It could be something like a traffic or parking ticket. If they had the money to pay it, they wouldn't be sent to jail. So, it goes back to they are put in a cage because they don't have the money/means to pay.
    By the way. I've seen how this works first hand in New Orleans. The police arrest you for some nuisance charge like "obstructing the sidewalk". You get hauled in and if you can't pay the nuisance charge bond, you wait for a hearing behind bars. Either you plead no contest or guilty and the judge sentences you to $25.00 or two days in prison (or something like that) and you choose which you prefer. If you don't have $25.00, then you prefer two days in jail.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Strawman. That is not at all what the other poster I were even talking about when you responded. We were talking about people getting put in prison because they were too poor to pay violations. This is being challenged. It's not legal to put people in prisoners for being too poor to pay a bill but my response was that seems the way some people would like it. Thank you for proving my point btw.
    I see. So you figure, someone should be able to commit violations with impunity if they are poor. Well, that's an interesting perspective. Not one that I think makes much sense, but I've come to expect liberal notions about what's right and fair to be lacking in that department.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #239
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    By the way. I've seen how this works first hand in New Orleans. The police arrest you for some nuisance charge like "obstructing the sidewalk". You get hauled in and if you can't pay the nuisance charge bond, you wait for a hearing behind bars. Either you plead no contest or guilty and the judge sentences you to $25.00 or two days in prison (or something like that) and you choose which you prefer. If you don't have $25.00, then you prefer two days in jail.
    That should not be legal. That was the point the other poster and I were making. I went one step further by saying I wouldn't doubt some on this board would like the return of debtor prisons.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Most of America’s rich think the poor have it easy

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    That should not be legal. That was the point the other poster and I were making. I went one step further by saying I wouldn't doubt some on this board would like the return of debtor prisons.
    Sounds to me like you think that if you don't have any money, you should be able to commit violations with impunity. Can't fine you. Can't jail you. You aren't going to pay and you don't figure the court should be able to make you. Maybe you are inclined to institute caning as a good compromise? Then you could choose between paying, sitting in jail for a few days, or just taking a few whacks with a cane. How about that? What about if the judge decreed that your EBT get reduced to cover the fine for your violation?

    Nah, I'll bet you don't go for that, either. You really just figure the least we can give the deadbeats of the world is the right to commit petty crimes without risk of any punishment. 'Cause you got a big heart.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •