Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

  1. #21
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From NBC News on September 19, 2014:

    U.S. military forces carried out two more airstrikes against ISIS militants in Iraq on Thursday and Friday, striking a boat and a small ground unit, United States Central Command said. The strikes came the same day that France participated in airstrikes against the terror group in Iraq for the first time.

    U.S. Launches More Airstrikes Against ISIS as France Joins Fight - NBC News
    Let's see if they can keep up.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  2. #22
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I was also disappointed that the U.S. had no senior officials at the rally. IMO, the President, Vice President or Secretary of State should have been there. As the Secretary was in India, it would have made sense for either the President or Vice President to have been there. While their absence doesn't have major substantive implications, it does have major symbolic implications at a time when it is essential that the world rally for the cause of free expression. Furthermore, France is a longstanding reliable ally.
    Furthermore, it does highlight (once again ) that the Obama administration does not always read international relations, that well.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  3. #23
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,348

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    His walk so far is bigger than his talk. He at least is ordering air-strikes on ISIS and has a garrison in the ME.

    The french are doing nothing, like they have been doing for a while since WWII.

    They can make some good cheese though
    Greetings, Luftwaffe.

    There are many countries that have joined in the fight, including France which has sent fighter planes to fight terrorism. What explanation do you have for America not joining those leaders who took the time to show their contempt for a group of terrorists that just killed 12 people over a lampoon, in addition to regularly beheading innocent people? Talk about "my way or the highway" thinking, and apparently Obama agrees with them! Why? He now looks bad before the civilized people of the world, but he doesn't represent the thinking of the majority of people in this country who are going to remember what stand he took if we are attacked! It would be ironic if a DC airport or a building in Washington becomes a target! Just saying....

  4. #24
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, Luftwaffe.

    There are many countries that have joined in the fight, including France which has sent fighter planes to fight terrorism. What explanation do you have for America not joining those leaders who took the time to show their contempt for a group of terrorists that just killed 12 people over a lampoon, in addition to regularly beheading innocent people? Talk about "my way or the highway" thinking, and apparently Obama agrees with them! Why? He now looks bad before the civilized people of the world, but he doesn't represent the thinking of the majority of people in this country who are going to remember what stand he took if we are attacked! It would be ironic if a DC airport or a building in Washington becomes a target! Just saying....
    What explanation do you have for the other countries not sending all their leaders after Sandy Hook?

    Let the Europeans congregate over European problems and let the Americans congregate over American problems

    Be careful with your speech.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  5. #25
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,348

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    What explanation do you have for the other countries not sending all their leaders after Sandy Hook?

    Let the Europeans congregate over European problems and let the Americans congregate over American problems

    Be careful with your speech.
    One reason might be that Sandy Hook was not terrorism, but a deranged person with mental problems, the same as the idiot that shot Gabby Giffords, and sadly every country has those in their midst. The difference here is that these countries are condemning terrorism, and we should have joined them but did not. Will our attitude change if we are attacked, and can we then expect commiseration from the rest of the civilized world, or will it be a case of "well, it looks like it's their turn?" We shall see.

  6. #26
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    What explanation do you have for the other countries not sending all their leaders after Sandy Hook?

    Let the Europeans congregate over European problems and let the Americans congregate over American problems

    Be careful with your speech.


    What? Sandy Hook vs. terrorist attack?


  7. #27
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,934

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    Our Attorney General was in Paris but Obama decided he should not attend the massive protest against terror attended by world leaders from all parts of the globe proving beyond all doubt the President of the United States is a babbling imbecile and a disgrace.
    I don't remember Jacques Chirac in NYC when bush was addressing people at ground zero. After 9/11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  8. #28
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,934

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    His walk so far is bigger than his talk. He at least is ordering air-strikes on ISIS and has a garrison in the ME.

    The french are doing nothing, like they have been doing for a while since WWII.

    They can make some good cheese though
    That's not true the French did help us in Desert Storm. And several minor altercations between World War II in today. They were also part of the defense plan against the Soviets in the event of World War III. However they are not a part of NATO, and the reason is because of bad feelings going back to the 60s, The French wanted nuclear weapons, they currently have nuclear weapons. We did not want the French to have them, we tried to get them to agree not to develop nukes well Charles de Gaulle didn't like that, so they flip NATO the middle finger left NATO and develop their own nuclear weapons. French president Charles de Gaulle, was not a fan of the US having to bail out his country twice and wanted a more powerful military including nukes to ensure a third time would not be necessary
    That's a reason they don't participate in many of our wars, is because they were not a NATO country until the late 90s
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 01-12-15 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    From the BBC:

    Mr Kerry defended his absence, citing prior commitments and saying the US relationship with France "is not about one day or one particular moment"...

    White House officials told CBS News Mr Obama did not attend because his security would have interfered with the huge crowds.


    BBC News - Kerry to visit France amid criticism of rally absence

    The rather amateurish explanations are really astonishing from a PR standpoint, especially as the Obama Administration has been in office for almost 6 full years.

    The first point lacks merit, as others with longstanding relationships with France were represented i.e., the UK and Germany.

    The second point also lacks merit, as the presence of 40 world leaders or senior officials would result in extraordinary security precautions. Any additional U.S. security requirements would have been marginal in that context.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Unprecedented rally is largest in France's history, officials say

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I don't remember Jacques Chirac in NYC when bush was addressing people at ground zero. After 9/11
    The U.S. did not organize the kind of rally that was organized in Paris. In any case, President Chirac flew to Washington and met with President Bush on 9/18.

    President Chirac Pledges Support

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •