Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.6%

  1. #11
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't think that a 30 hr per week job, is a full time job.
    Who said it was? Furthermore, full time employment (seasonally adjusted) increased by roughly 400 thousand in the past month.

    Further, the LFPR has not been accurate for quite some time now.
    That's an opinion and frankly nothing more.

  2. #12
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Who said it was? Furthermore, full time employment (seasonally adjusted) increased by roughly 400 thousand in the past month.



    That's an opinion and frankly nothing more.
    Who said it was? Obama, and democrats. That's who...And yep, it's an opinion...Mine...I believe if we ever saw the true UE numbers, there would be outrage, and backlash against the government.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #13
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who said it was? Obama, and democrats. That's who
    Citation needed.

    ..And yep, it's an opinion...Mine...I believe if we ever saw the true UE numbers, there would be outrage, and backlash against the government.

  4. #14
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Citation needed.



    Citation?

    The health insurance law said employees who work 30 hours a week must be considered “full-time” and must be offered health insurance by employers covered by the law.

    Read more here: Definition of

    First liberal progressives said to us, 'we don't need manufacturing, we will become a service based society in a global market place.' and we listened, now liberal progressives say that 'we don't need to work 40 hours, it should be 30' and you say you know nothing of it? Really? liberal progressives are killing this country.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    A few more tidbits from the BLS report (household survey):

    Only 111,000 more Americans were employed.

    And despite the over-16 female unemployment rate dropping from 5.7 to 5.3%...there were actually 205,000 less over-16 females employed last month.

    Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

    Heck, even the non-seasonally adjusted U-6 unemployment rate went up.


    So, once again, the drop in the U-3 is principally due to people leaving the labor force, not because more Americans are employed.
    Last edited by DA60; 01-11-15 at 03:09 PM.

  6. #16
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Gains? or a shell game....?

    From your link.



    "In December, the number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or
    longer) was essentially unchanged..."

    and

    "The civilian labor force participation rate edged down by 0.2 percentage point
    to 62.7 percent in December. Since April, the participation rate has remained
    within a narrow range of 62.7 to 62.9 percent."
    The Labor Force Participation Rate is a nice number, but its change is not necessarily indicative of economic health. People often leave the Labor Force because they do not NEED to work (retire, go to school, become stay-at-home moms, start a business). The PPACA unbundled healthcare from employment, allowing people to cut the tether to jobs they did not want only to have the benefits they needed. An increasing LFPR can, in some circumstances, support the notion the economy is improving...

    Unfortunately, all of the Cons predictions about our economic future levied in 2008 and 2012 have been proven to be wrong, so all they are left with is argue that underlying data wrong. Its a weak argument, but we all appreciate the fact that it is rapidly becoming their only argument.

  7. #17
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by STUT View Post
    I believe that Declan has a good point. For those of us who are not economists, looking to local recoveries might well be the best way to judge the health of the economy. The county in which I live in Indiana had the unfortunate distinction of having the highest unemployment rate in the country at one point, topping out around 20.2 percent. Today, the unemployment rate here is 5.3 percent. I live in a manufacturing county, the "RV capital of the world" some call it. With the return of the RV industry, I think its safe to say that we are on a healthy rebound, and there isn't much to complain about here compared to what it used to be. Granted this isn't the same for everywhere else, but it certainly does represent a forceful economic upturn.
    As an employer in Colorado, a full-employment state, I can tell you that it is increasingly difficult to find people. Last year, my revenue grew by 8%, but my margins decreased significantly because all of my "growth" went to my employees in the form of wage increases and benefits....

  8. #18
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Citation?

    The health insurance law said employees who work 30 hours a week must be considered “full-time” and must be offered health insurance by employers covered by the law.

    Read more here: Definition of

    First liberal progressives said to us, 'we don't need manufacturing, we will become a service based society in a global market place.' and we listened, now liberal progressives say that 'we don't need to work 40 hours, it should be 30' and you say you know nothing of it? Really? liberal progressives are killing this country.
    The definition of a full-time employee, for the BLS purpose, is 35 hours per week.

    BLS Glossary

    The PPACA definition of full-time employee is its own animal (it has its own definition for its own purpose) and is not germane to this discussion. The 30 hours was suppose to keep employers from cutting 40 hour people...

  9. #19
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The Labor Force Participation Rate is a nice number, but its change is not necessarily indicative of economic health. People often leave the Labor Force because they do not NEED to work (retire, go to school, become stay-at-home moms, start a business). The PPACA unbundled healthcare from employment, allowing people to cut the tether to jobs they did not want only to have the benefits they needed. An increasing LFPR can, in some circumstances, support the notion the economy is improving...

    Unfortunately, all of the Cons predictions about our economic future levied in 2008 and 2012 have been proven to be wrong, so all they are left with is argue that underlying data wrong. Its a weak argument, but we all appreciate the fact that it is rapidly becoming their only argument.
    Yeah, I've heard that argument before, however when asked to quantify, and back up that the Participation rate is due to Retirees, and people going back to school, I get crickets, so I am not buyin' it at the moment...Although I do think that some things are getting slightly better, I sure don't see any kind of boom's taking place, and local, and state governments are damned near broke. Roads suffering, tax initiatives on ballots, etc. Plus the stores that used to flourish in various strip malls, and downtown sectors are NOT coming back, and the jobs that seem to be out there are min wage jobs that illegals are soaking up, while those crushed in the downturn have given up, and aren't even counted anymore...Not something I would tout as some great achievement by Dear Leader....I'm no economic whiz but I do have eyes, and do talk to people....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #20
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,941

    Re: Payroll employment rises by 252,000 in December; unemployment rate declines to 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that argument before, however when asked to quantify, and back up that the Participation rate is due to Retirees, and people going back to school, I get crickets, so I am not buyin' it at the moment....
    Every month more a quarter of a million Americans turn 65.
    That equals over 3 million a year.

    From a May 2014 article


    For decades, the retirement of the baby boom generation has been a looming economic threat. Now, it’s no longer looming — it’s here. Every month, more than a quarter-million Americans turn 65. That’s a trend with profound economic consequences. Simply put, retirees don’t contribute as much to the economy as workers do. They don’t produce anything, at least directly. They don’t spend as much on average. And they’re much more likely to depend on others — the government or their own children, most often — than to support themselves.
    What Baby Boomers’ Retirement Means For the U.S. Economy | FiveThirtyEight
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •