Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 430

Thread: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

  1. #391
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    1. She is the one suffering the effects.

    2. Chemotherapy is harmful. It is also beneficial, but it is most certainly harmful.
    She is not an adult. It doesn't matter if chemo has harmful side effects or not. She is on it and that is how it will be until she turns 18.

  2. #392
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Natural Law doesn't have handcuffs.
    Worse. It has hellfire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    She is not an adult. It doesn't matter if chemo has harmful side effects or not. She is on it and that is how it will be until she turns 18.
    It's how it is, and it is grievously immoral.

  3. #393
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I was a child in the late 50s /early 60s when I heard on the news the state stepped in because a Christian Scientist family who lived in our area would not get medical care for their sick child.
    In Cruzan v Director MDH, 497 US 261 (1990) The US Supreme Court said:

    "A competent person has a liberty interest under the Due Process Clause in refusing unwanted medical treatment."

    This doesn't say that it has to be an adult, or on some wacky religious grounds, but simply puts the standard at "A competent person".... That the CT decided this case without considering the "mature minor doctrine" is a violation of this girls Due Process rights under the 5th and 14th amendments of the Constitution...At least that is how I see it, as heartbreaking as this case is.

    However, unless they pursue this further, she will get the chemo, so rights or not we can all agree that is a good thing that she will live. She may have to just get the treatment and sue the state later for violating her rights.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #394
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    In Cruzan v Director MDH, 497 US 261 (1990) The US Supreme Court said:

    "A competent person has a liberty interest under the Due Process Clause in refusing unwanted medical treatment."

    This doesn't say that it has to be an adult, or on some wacky religious grounds, but simply puts the standard at "A competent person".... That the CT decided this case without considering the "mature minor doctrine" is a violation of this girls Due Process rights under the 5th and 14th amendments of the Constitution...At least that is how I see it, as heartbreaking as this case is.

    ...
    According to the yahoo article in the OP Cassandra's lawyers had the opportunity to prove she was mature enough to make that decision and they failed to do so.


    The court ruled Cassandra's lawyers had the opportunity to prove she's mature enough to make that decision during a Juvenile Court hearing in December and failed to do so.
    APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  5. #395
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    According to the yahoo article in the OP Cassandra's lawyers had the opportunity to prove she was mature enough to make that decision and they failed to do so.



    APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo
    Yes, That is what one judge on the panel argued, and they refused to hear the argument, because if they had, it is likely that they would have had to determine that Cassy was a "mature minor" and allow her to refuse treatment. But, because that is NOT what they wanted to do, they ignored evidence, and thus violated her rights....Thanks for proving my argument.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #396
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes, That is what one judge on the panel argued, and they refused to hear the argument, because if they had, it is likely that they would have had to determine that Cassy was a "mature minor" and allow her to refuse treatment. But, because that is NOT what they wanted to do, they ignored evidence, and thus violated her rights....Thanks for proving my argument.
    I disagree.
    From everything I have read on this case ( several articles from several different sources ... I already posted links to a few of those ) it seems Cassandra has not faced reality.
    Some articles she says she knows will die without chemo but in the most recent article since the Supreme Court ruling
    Cassandra says wants treatment for the Hodgkins but she wants to cure it without Chemo.
    She wrote that she wants to cure her Hodgkins with, vitamins, diet and exercise.

    It seems she still has not faced up to the reality that without chemo she will die within a couple of years.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  7. #397
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    ...
    Some articles she says she knows will die without chemo but in the most recent article since the Supreme Court ruling
    Cassandra says wants treatment for the Hodgkins but she wants to cure it without Chemo.
    She wrote that she wants to cure her Hodgkins with, vitamins, diet and exercise.

    It seems she still has not faced up to the reality that without chemo she will die within a couple of years.

    She wrote she’s not looking to avoid treating her Hodgkin’s lymphoma altogether.

    “I always tell people I do want treatment for my cancer, I just don’t believe in the chemotherapy,” wrote Cassandra. “I want something more natural, something that’s not drugs. If the court decided to let me go, I would look into natural remedies that would stop the growth of the cancer. I would take vitamins and remedies that fight inflammation. I would eat healthy and go to the gym, and I would still monitor the cancer with regular scans.”

    Link to article:Teen opens up about forced chemotherapy, death
    Last edited by minnie616; 01-16-15 at 10:20 AM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  8. #398
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I disagree.
    From everything I have read on this case ( several articles from several different sources ... I already posted links to a few of those ) it seems Cassandra has not faced reality.
    Some articles she says she knows will die without chemo but in the most recent article since the Supreme Court ruling
    Cassandra says wants treatment for the Hodgkins but she wants to cure it without Chemo.
    She wrote that she wants to cure her Hodgkins with, vitamins, diet and exercise.

    It seems she still has not faced up to the reality that without chemo she will die within a couple of years.
    That's fine, we can disagree on that, but I am basing it on an article YOU posted, and you confirmed yourself that they refused to take into account the "Mature Minor Doctrine".... That she is rather misguided in what she wants to treat it with is not of consequence here...I agree that she needs the chemo, but the state no more has the right to force her to take it, then it does, to deny her from getting it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #399
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    She sure doesn't sound like she is irrational, or immature at all in that article....In fact, she speaks kindly of the DCF agents that are working against her wishes, that to me signals maturity....But, take a look at some of the strong arm tactics here, her phone was locked up? Why? What are they afraid of? Social Media? Interesting. I guess add violating her 1st amendment right to the list.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #400
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's fine, we can disagree on that, but I am basing it on an article YOU posted, and you confirmed yourself that they refused to take into account the "Mature Minor Doctrine".... That she is rather misguided in what she wants to treat it with is not of consequence here...I agree that she needs the chemo, but the state no more has the right to force her to take it, then it does, to deny her from getting it.
    No , the article posted does not say the Supreme Court refused to take into account the "Mature Minor Doctrine." It just says her lawyers were given the opportunity to present evidence that Cassandra was mature and had failed to so.

    Before a state Supreme Court makes a ruling in a case like this it reviews all of the evidence ,and testimonies from the lawyer/s and from the doctor/s( in this case several testified )the medical records including any psychological testing ). These are Supreme Court justices and usually they were judges in lower courts and federal courts before they were elected to Supreme Court.
    They base their decisions on the evidence presented to them not on emotions.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •