Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 430

Thread: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

  1. #291
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Oh come on, that's just ridiculous.

    Don't you accept that there are cases where the state should intervene and remove a child from the care of her parents? If so we agree on the principle, just not on the circumstances in which this drastic step should be taken.
    Of course there are cases where a child should be removed. Abuse. Severe neglect. But what do they have to do with this situation? And this young lady wasn't removed from her parents' custody. She was forced into a medical treatment against her will. You'd be hard pressed to find children who are abused by their parents telling you that they enjoy being abused or that they want to continue being abused.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #292
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Potato, potato. If there was no chance of the child actually living, and the parents kept her hooked up to a machine because that's what they believed "life" was, it's definitely death support. It's holding off death for as long as you possibly can in hopes that something other than nature will take its course.



    So the parents acted based on the rights provided by the state, you saw no problem with it, however, when it's clear that the state was acting within its rights, you oppose it. Is that what we're getting at here? Because that's REALLY something you should take up with the state of CT.
    It's called life support, not death support. Nobody supports the death of infants (that I know anyway). No, this also wasn't to "hold off death". It was about making a decision on the viability of a quality life.

    And the young lady at the center of this story also wants nature to take its course.

    Not sure what the state's rights have to do with this. Do you always agree with every ruling made by judges? I don't. I don't know anyone who is a bobblehead for the courts. They are humans - judges aren't infallible.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #293
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,807

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Of course there are cases where a child should be removed. Abuse. Severe neglect. But what do they have to do with this situation? And this young lady wasn't removed from her parents' custody. She was forced into a medical treatment against her will. You'd be hard pressed to find children who are abused by their parents telling you that they enjoy being abused or that they want to continue being abused.
    Alright, we agree on the principle!! As to this case, it's an easy one IMO, but I certainly understand that reasonable minds can differ.

    But in fact she was removed from her mother's custody and confined to a hospital.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It's called life support, not death support.
    It's life support, if it's actually supporting a lie, I call it death support when it's just parents ignoring the inevitable. Considering you claim she was "kept alive" by these machines, then it was nothing more than death support.

    Not sure what the state's rights have to do with this. Do you always agree with every ruling made by judges? I don't.
    Nope, I agree with this ruling because neither the parent nor the child demonstrated that this decision was A) informed or B) had the child's best interest at hand. Do you agree that parents who can't demonstrate that they're making informed decisions on their child's welfare, should not be left to handle that child's welfare?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    It's a horrible death. One family member passed 3 years ago in December and another is dying. Chemo made it much, much worse. The oncologist said it would and told us there is a field of study which is indicating that chemo may extend life a week, or two or a month. But honestly, I wished neither would have done more than a course. The subsequent courses took a greater and greater toll. I understand why they did. Neither wanted to "give up". Their last months were/have been hellacious and sad. The pain from the complications was/is awful.

    My condolences for the passing of your mother, TB.
    There are many cases when chemo is likely to be futile and only makes the quality of life worse for someone who is probably dying. This case of 17 year old with a type of lymphoma know to be treatable with chemo is not one of those situations.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And it's our business...why again? And there's a guarantee that she is going to die anyway. We all do. What right does someone else have to decide that she can't die on her terms and when she chooses to.

    Will she die in a year? 2? 5? 7? The fact is, nobody knows. Nobody can predict cancer.
    If she wanted to commit suicide to avoid a six moth prison sentence would you support allowing her to do that?

    You can't predict cancer with complete accuracy but you can use statistics to know what is most likely to happen.

  7. #297
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,948

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    ...

    Will she die in a year? 2? 5? 7? The fact is, nobody knows. Nobody can predict cancer.
    According to her doctors without the chemo she would die in 2 years.


    In Cassandra’s case, the chemotherapy gives her an 85 percent chance of survival. Without it, she has two years to live, according to doctors.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...to-die/384303/
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  8. #298
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Thanks Gina, and happy new year hugs to you!

    Before my mother passed away she told me and my sister that she wished she hadn't have done what she did (chemo and radiation). It didn't add to her life, the 4 years that she went through it were awful, and she wants us to think about that should we ever find ourselves where she was. My mom was a very vibrant woman and loved life, and when her quality of life went, well you know the rest. As much pain as she was in from the cancer (bone), the horrible retching, the sweats, the discomfort, the constant feeling of exhaustion, all of the side effects from the treatments were as awful as the cancer was.

    That's another reason I think this is a very personal choice.

    I'm so very sorry about your family member as well, and I will send good thoughts his/her way, as well as all of your family. It isn't easy on anyone who has to live it or see it. I'm also sorry about the one you already lost.
    You are welcome, and back at you, TB!

    Your mother gave good advice and I would take it myself if I were to find myself in that position. I understand, no one wants to just give in, but chemo is so destructive and it doesn't only attack the cancer. They both were diagnosed at stage 4 lung cancer. It's hard to discern which are symptoms of cancer and which are side-effects of chemo because in addition to what you mentioned, they had/have sores in their mouths and couldn't eat and pre-existing health problems (in my still living family member) have been greatly exacerbated. Why radiate lung cancer when it eliminates good lung tissue with the bad making it even more difficult to breathe when it will not cure the cancer?

    I agree. It is a very personal choice and one no one should be forced into, either way (in case euthanasia comes up).

    Thank you, TB. I appreciate your kindness and good thoughts. It's a helpless position to be in, and not just for the suffering.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    C'man, that's still not better than the uninformed parent's plea for "alternative medicine"! 2 years!? I mean, if she tried chemo she'd have a success rate of 85%, as opposed to no chemo... where she'd die in 2 years! The parent had the child's best interest in mind when she ignored that fact while making her case! I hope you realize how facetious I'm being here.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #300
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    There are many cases when chemo is likely to be futile and only makes the quality of life worse for someone who is probably dying. This case of 17 year old with a type of lymphoma know to be treatable with chemo is not one of those situations.
    20 years ago another family member had two forms of lymphoma (Hodgkins and non-Hodgkins). He laughed that, leave it to him, he got both. It was very difficult to live with the treatment which he did for years. I won't fault anyone, even a 17-year-old, for electing to fore go chemo.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •