Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 430

Thread: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

  1. #241
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,843

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    In other words, people are too stupid to make their own decisions so you want Uncle Sam and Big Brother to make them for them, and if they think it's a good decision, that's A-Okay with you.

    I'm fine with that. At least you're honest.
    Not "people" - children. There's a huge difference. And this minor child was given the opportunity to prove to the court she was capable of making adult decisions, and the running away from home, skipping doctors' appointments, and failure to present a viable treatment alternative gave her away as the irresponsible child she so obviously is.

    You're focused on abortion, but it's a different issue. Maybe minors should or should not be able to have an abortion without the consent of a parent or guardian, but that's a different set of medical risks, with all kinds of thorny family and societal issues attached. But they can be evaluated independently, and the law in CT requires them to be evaluated independently.

  2. #242
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Not "people" - children. There's a huge difference. And this minor child was given the opportunity to prove to the court she was capable of making adult decisions, and the running away from home, skipping doctors' appointments, and failure to present a viable treatment alternative gave her away as the irresponsible child she so obviously is.

    You're focused on abortion, but it's a different issue. Maybe minors should or should not be able to have an abortion without the consent of a parent or guardian, but that's a different set of medical risks, with all kinds of thorny family and societal issues attached. But they can be evaluated independently, and the law in CT requires them to be evaluated independently.
    Her parents made the decision as well. They are not children. They are adults. This isn't just about her. Do you know what this story is about?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #243
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,355

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The thread has to do with her body. The state doesn't get to pick and choose when it's her body to make decisions on, and when it isn't.

    If you don't see the hypocrisy, I can't help you. I see it, and I know I'm not alone.
    Yes the state does have that right. The state picks and chooses these lines all the time. A 15 year + 11 month old person is not mature enough to drive. A couple of weeks later, give them the keys. 17 years + 364 days you are not smart enough to vote, next day, you've gotten smarter. A friend of my son did 5 hard for sex with an underage girl. She was 2 weeks under 18.

    We as a society create these arbitrary lines all the time. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we got.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Not "people" - children. There's a huge difference. And this minor child was given the opportunity to prove to the court she was capable of making adult decisions, and the running away from home, skipping doctors' appointments, and failure to present a viable treatment alternative gave her away as the irresponsible child she so obviously is.
    A seventeen year old is not a child, really. How does running away from home or skipping doctor appointments make you unable to make decisions? Why does it seem like you just disapprove of her decisions and then declaring her unable to make decisions based on it?

    You're focused on abortion, but it's a different issue. Maybe minors should or should not be able to have an abortion without the consent of a parent or guardian, but that's a different set of medical risks, with all kinds of thorny family and societal issues attached. But they can be evaluated independently, and the law in CT requires them to be evaluated independently.
    Why is it different? Because you say it is?

  5. #245
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,843

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So a seventeen year old is unable to consent? Exactly how do you come to that conclusion? What exactly is different in a person between the ages of seventeen and eighteen? I don't know about you, but I was more or less the same person I was at eighteen that I was seventeen. A year of difference does not cause a person to mature. Time itself in fact has nothing to do with it.
    The law in the state of CT for this purpose considers one a minor and one an adult? Seems directly on point to me....

  6. #246
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Yes the state does have that right. The state picks and chooses these lines all the time. A 15 year + 11 month old person is not mature enough to drive. A couple of weeks later, give them the keys. 17 years + 364 days you are not smart enough to vote, next day, you've gotten smarter. A friend of my son did 5 hard for sex with an underage girl. She was 2 weeks under 18.

    We as a society create these arbitrary lines all the time. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we got.
    I already know all of that. Not sure what this was supposed to mean in relation to my post that you quoted (which was about the state saying a 17 year has a right to make medical decisions on her own body except when they say she doesn't).
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Btw, just a few weeks ago I skipped a doctors appointment for a shoulder that badly needs surgery. Why did I do it? Because I felt like it.

    I guess at 32 I should be treated like a child because I'm skipping doctors appointments.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    The law in the state of CT for this purpose considers one a minor and one an adult? Seems directly on point to me....
    So basically it's a legal distinction with nothing to back it. Good to know.

  9. #249
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    A seventeen year old is not a child, really. How does running away from home or skipping doctor appointments make you unable to make decisions? Why does it seem like you just disapprove of her decisions and then declaring her unable to make decisions based on it?



    Why is it different? Because you say it is?
    I'm wondering too, based on his post....does he think every adult who skips doctor's appointments (there are a lot of them), "runs away from home" (get mad and go back to mother's house, skip town for a few days), and fails to present "viable alternative treatments" for their medical conditions (without medical training, of course) should also be deemed to incompetent to make their own decisions, and become wards of the state?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #250
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Btw, just a few weeks ago I skipped a doctors appointment for a shoulder that badly needs surgery. Why did I do it? Because I felt like it.

    I guess at 32 I should be treated like a child because I'm skipping doctors appointments.
    OMFG I was just posting something similar to you.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •