View Poll Results: Was the court's decision correct?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 36.00%
  • No

    13 52.00%
  • Don't know / Not sure

    3 12.00%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 119

Thread: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

  1. #71
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No it doesn't.
    The IPAB

  2. #72
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,941

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Looks like you missed the memo the IPAB is pretty much " toast ".

    From a Jan. 2014 article


    Reform Update: Its funding gutted, IPAB fades into background


    But all of the noise surrounding IPAB has since subsided, and news that Congress gutted the program raises questions about the panel's relevance.

    “It's sort of an academic discussion,” said Dr. Robert Berenson, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute, a left-of-center think tank. Berenson said IPAB was always intended as a “safety valve” if per-capita cost growth in Medicare surpassed targets, and there has been no need to pull the trigger.

    Total Medicare spending per enrollee grew just 0.7% in 2012, even slower than the 2.5% growth rate in 2011, economists in the CMS Office of the Actuary reported this month.


    “And yet it's still politically like gunpowder,” Berenson said. “You have a bunch of groups that continually attack it. So I assume the administration doesn't want to have to defend IPAB when it doesn't serve any practical purpose at this point,” he continued. “More importantly, the appointees have to go through hearings to be approved and they didn't even put Don Berwick up,” he said, referring to the Harvard-trained physician who President Barack Obama appointed as CMS administrator during a congressional recess. Berwick departed from his post in late 2011 and never went through the Senate confirmation process.
    http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/301249973
    Last edited by minnie616; 01-11-15 at 01:03 AM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  3. #73
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,742

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The board does not rule on, or even review, individual cases.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But she will die if not given the chemo. How does that translate to a "death panel", where the government would mandate a death?
    I know. being against this ruling is like wanting assisted suicide on demand for anyone that asks. She's a minor and scared kid who was dealt a bad hand but when she is cured she wlll be grateful to be alive. I would just make sure she gets plenty of marijuana for the side effects and she will get thru it fine. Many who receive Chemo happily have no where near those odds. We should not let her commit suicide when she has hope for a normal life.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 01-11-15 at 02:16 AM.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No, the government should NOT have rights in this decision. Who makes the decision that what the government has decided, is the right decision? This isn't a moral issue. It's one of the right to self-determination wrt living and dying.
    So you support assisted suicide on demand even when the patient has a chance for a normal life? Do you think we should set up suicide clinics for people who don't want to live anymore for whatever reason? Even for minors? I Believe in assisted suicide but for terminally ill patients only and only if they are suffering and have no hope of regaining their health. Death isn't all its cracked up to be.

  6. #76
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    The article is a lie as is the statement by authorities.

    There is not a "cure" rate. Rather, projected "survival" rates.

    "Survival" means 5 years, not a cure. "Chemo" is used for a huge array of drugs, not one drug. The function of some Chemo is to slow down the rate at which a person is dying, but at the price for which the person wishes to die because of the Chemo effects.

  7. #77
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,941

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The article is a lie as is the statement by authorities.

    There is not a "cure" rate. Rather, projected "survival" rates.

    "Survival" means 5 years, not a cure. "Chemo" is used for a huge array of drugs, not one drug. The function of some Chemo is to slow down the rate at which a person is dying, but at the price for which the person wishes to die because of the Chemo effects.
    10 year survival rates is 80 percent.

    After 10 years they consider the patient as cured.

    My good friend who was in his 20s and in med school ( now a retired MD ) diagnosed himself as having Hodgkins.
    He had the Chemo over 45 years ago and is now enjoying his retirement.

    Here are some stats
    The American Cancer Society’s estimates for Hodgkin disease in the United States for 2014 are:

    About 9,190 new cases (4,120 in females and 5,070 in males)
    About 1,180 deaths (510 females, 670 males) from this cancer
    Hodgkin disease can occur in both children and adults. It is most common in early adulthood (ages 15 to 40, especially in a person’s 20s), where it is mostly of the nodular sclerosis subtype, and in late adulthood (after age 55), where the mixed cellularity subtype is more common. Hodgkin disease is rare in children younger than 5 years of age. About 10% to 15% of cases are diagnosed in children and teenagers.

    Because of advances in treatment, survival rates have improved in the past few decades.

    The 1-year relative survival rate for all patients diagnosed with Hodgkin disease is now about 92%; the 5-year and 10-year survival rates are about 85% and 80%, respectively.

    Certain factors such as the stage (extent) of Hodgkin disease and a person’s age affect these rates. For more detailed survival rates based on the stage of disease, as well as a discussion of other factors that affect survival, see the section “Survival rates for Hodgkin disease by stage.”
    What are the key statistics about Hodgkin disease?
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So you support assisted suicide on demand even when the patient has a chance for a normal life? Do you think we should set up suicide clinics for people who don't want to live anymore for whatever reason? Even for minors? I Believe in assisted suicide but for terminally ill patients only and only if they are suffering and have no hope of regaining their health. Death isn't all its cracked up to be.
    It's different for minors but IMO, yeah, sure assisted suicide on demand. I think you still need to undergo counseling first and there should be a waiting period (but a week or a month, not a yr) but adults should be able to make this decision. Who are you or anyone else to say what is suffering or intolerable? Life isnt all it's cracked up to be for some people either.

    If it were a legal option, maybe more people that do commit suicide for psychological reasons rather than chronic disease may change their minds. Because those are the people that go off and do it in secret and devastate their families. Maybe they would seek out a professional to get a more peaceful end and then be convinced not to do so if it didnt all have to be secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's different for minors but IMO, yeah, sure assisted suicide on demand. I think you still need to undergo counseling first and there should be a waiting period (but a week or a month, not a yr) but adults should be able to make this decision. Who are you or anyone else to say what is suffering or intolerable? Life isnt all it's cracked up to be for some people either.

    If it were a legal option, maybe more people that do commit suicide for psychological reasons rather than chronic disease may change their minds. Because those are the people that go off and do it in secret and devastate their families. Maybe they would seek out a professional to get a more peaceful end and then be convinced not to do so if it didnt all have to be secret.
    People who wish commit suicide without being terminally ill and in pain are mentally unfit by definition. To enable people to commit suicide without those conditions is barbaric. Most suicides are by the young and just because we can't prevent all is no reason to make it a business. You only get one life and throwing it away should never be an acceptable option.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    People who wish commit suicide without being terminally ill and in pain are mentally unfit by definition. To enable people to commit suicide without those conditions is barbaric. Most suicides are by the young and just because we can't prevent all is no reason to make it a business. You only get one life and throwing it away should never be an acceptable option.
    No they're not. Not all. And even if they are, if it is prolonged and causes them great emotional pain...let them.

    And again, minors would still not be able to do so.

    How is it a business anymore than regular medical or psychiatric care? They unfortunately already have undesirable aspects in that regard.

    It is only your opinion that someone is throwing their own life away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •