View Poll Results: Was the court's decision correct?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 36.00%
  • No

    13 52.00%
  • Don't know / Not sure

    3 12.00%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 119

Thread: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

  1. #51
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,147

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    No. The Independent Payment Advisory Board, which was created under the Affordable Care Act, has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. Her treatment has absolutely nothing to do with "Nationalization" of health care, as you put it. This case was decided by the State of Connecticut.

    And please, one last time, stop derailing the discussion, and please stop the baiting.
    The "derail" was started by TDS - you aren't responding to him, because you are supporting your Tribe. I got it. In the meantime, inasmuch as the topic is "does the government have the right to make these kinds of decisions", well, actually, yeah, IPAB does indeed have relevance.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    She's a minor (and not emancipated), so she doesn't have any say.

  3. #53
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The "derail" was started by TDS - you aren't responding to him, because you are supporting your Tribe. I got it. In the meantime, inasmuch as the topic is "does the government have the right to make these kinds of decisions", well, actually, yeah, IPAB does indeed have relevance.
    So now you want to make it personal? OK, I can go for that. 'Ya ready? LOL.

    'Ya know, until now, I felt sorry for you, because I thought you had been brainwashed by a retarded wombat. Then I realized that the wombat didn't have any eyedroppers, so he couldn't have brainwashed you. You are just a freakin' idiot, that's all. And again, IPAB does not even apply in this case, but you wouldn't know it because you are even more retarded than that retarded wombat I had previously thought brainwashed you.

    Report THAT, bitch!!

    And, yea, this is definitely worth it,..... 'Ya freakin' jerk. LOL.
    Last edited by danarhea; 01-08-15 at 11:22 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #54
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,643

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yeah? So patients can expect to stay in remission?
    Yep. Most completely cured.

    Hodgkins is one of the most treatable of cancers.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Yep. Most completely cured.

    Hodgkins is one of the most treatable of cancers.
    If what you say is true, what kind of mother would allow her own child to refuse this sort of treatment? Perhaps the state was right to step in and basically take over guardianship of this minor.

  6. #56
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Yep. Most completely cured.

    Hodgkins is one of the most treatable of cancers.
    Wasn't always that way. My wife's father died of Hodgkins. However, they gave him 6 months to live, and he stayed alive for 10 years.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #57
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    There is no place for the government to do this.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  8. #58
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,661
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    As a citizen, I voted "No" on principle because I don't believe the government has the right to enforce "life" on anyone against their will.

    As a parent, I'd have more trouble with it, because a teenager's brain is not completely formed, and I might struggle with the option of using my parental rights to insist my child be saved if at all possible.

    However, the government should have had no say in it at all. The only exception is when a very young child is being denied life-saving treatment by parents because of their own personal beliefs.

  9. #59
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    If what you say is true, what kind of mother would allow her own child to refuse this sort of treatment? Perhaps the state was right to step in and basically take over guardianship of this minor.
    Maybe the mother is a Christian Scientist. Or maybe the mother feels that her daughter is adult enough to make the decision for herself. Or maybe the mother agrees with the child that the treatment amounts to poison. For whatever reason, why does the government believe it has the right to force the child do to something she does not want to do? Also, at what age does a child become an adult?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: APNewsBreak: Girl says she knows she'll die without chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    As a citizen, I voted "No" on principle because I don't believe the government has the right to enforce "life" on anyone against their will.

    As a parent, I'd have more trouble with it, because a teenager's brain is not completely formed, and I might struggle with the option of using my parental rights to insist my child be saved if at all possible.

    However, the government should have had no say in it at all. The only exception is when a very young child is being denied life-saving treatment by parents because of their own personal beliefs.
    So at what age do you draw the line? If its more at a stage of development-what stage?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •