Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 256

Thread: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

  1. #231
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    It sounds like extending the public school system two years, in return for some sort of work program. Volunteer work? Military?

    If I were 16, I'd like it. But now, it just sounds expensive. I also don't trust another program that's supposed to pay for itself. Fool me once......
    you have to work at least part time and carry a 2.5 GPA at least.
    however the cost is about 60+b dollars over 10 years. so far no one has explained where that money is going to come from.

    I went to school working full time going to class on the weekend (12-15) hours depending on the semester and if there were any labs.
    while getting married and having a kid.

    it doesn't pay for itself, but it makes for great political points.

    Republicans block graduates from going to college will be the headlines.
    you will see tuition costs balloon out of control.

  2. #232
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    While the ones who need help are left falling further and further behind.

    Kids with good grades do not pay much for community college. Most states have dual enrollment programs that allow HS students to attend CC at the same time as high school with the state picking up the tuition.

    Not including scholarships and work programs. Some communities HS graduation isn't even 50%. We need to fix that before creating a new entitlement. I'd rather pump 34b into inner city schools
    or get rid of the inner city schools and get them into private/charter schools with good records to give them a better chance.
    you can dumb that much money into those schools but that is throwing more money after bad money.

    you need to get them out of that situation and into a better environment.

  3. #233
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    If this had been part of QE, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

    However it was Obama himself, excusing the non recovery who said the main problem was automated tellers, that there was no unskilled jobs.

    wo he knew the need then. If he had done it then the graduates would be paying taxes today.

    The man is a very polished speaker, but his elevator doesn't go all the way to the top if you get my meaning.
    Well though I agree that Obama's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top, the problem isn't so much him but those who support his "ideas" and get "orgasmic" every time they hear the word "FREE". Like FREE Obamaphones which aren't free at all but cost the taxpayers billions a year. Or what about the way he promoted the "Affordable Healthcare Act" as FREE coverage or low cost coverage. His supporters ate it up and how's that worked out? Last year in his State of the Union he proposed expanding Free pre-schools and his supporters liked that too but the numbers show it would cost the taxpayers billions of dollars. And now his latest brain fart is Free 2 years of community college tuition. What next? a FREE Chevy Volt upon graduation?

  4. #234
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    It's not because more students today are attending college, I'm sorry to say. Ask profs what they're seeing in their classrooms today. They are unfamiliar with ordinary words such as "argument" and "controversy." (I am not making this up.)

    And it's not just the lack of critical thinking skills or the inability to comprehend what they read; too many students have zero intellectual curiosity. They aren't interested in actually learning, much less learning how to learn.

    Add to that the fact that already at least a fifth of college students cannot read cursive, meaning that unless their work is graded online, they cannot even understand what their profs' comments are on their work.
    I can't read cuneiform either. Cursive is a dead art, I can read it and barely write it. I haven't needed to since 5th grade other then to sign stuff. I was taught to write checks in school to, I only wrote them at the mason county dump because they only accept checks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  5. #235
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    If this had been part of QE, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

    However it was Obama himself, excusing the non recovery who said the main problem was automated tellers, that there was no unskilled jobs.

    wo he knew the need then. If he had done it then the graduates would be paying taxes today.

    The man is a very polished speaker, but his elevator doesn't go all the way to the top if you get my meaning.
    Well though I agree that Obama's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top, the problem isn't so much him but those who support his "ideas" and get "orgasmic" every time they hear the word "FREE". Like FREE Obamaphones which aren't free at all but cost the taxpayers billions a year. Or what about the way he promoted the "Affordable Healthcare Act" as FREE coverage or low cost coverage. His supporters ate it up and how's that worked out? Last year in his State of the Union he proposed expanding Free pre-schools and his supporters liked that too but the numbers show it would cost the taxpayers billions of dollars. And now his latest brain fart is Free 2 years of community college tuition. What next? a FREE Chevy Volt upon graduation?

  6. #236
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    or get rid of the inner city schools and get them into private/charter schools with good records to give them a better chance.
    you can dumb that much money into those schools but that is throwing more money after bad money.

    you need to get them out of that situation and into a better environment.
    And what happens when charter schools decide to throw out the problem kids where did they go? Private and charter schools have the advantage of being able to kick out people who are causing a problem, on the other hand with public schools the assumption is that you have a right to the education and the school can't really get rid of you and less you do something that endangers the other students of the staff like bringing a gun to school or selling drugs.

    Personally though I think the kids were making the most problem, should be sent to a military type of school
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  7. #237
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    While the ones who need help are left falling further and further behind.

    Kids with good grades do not pay much for community college. Most states have dual enrollment programs that allow HS students to attend CC at the same time as high school with the state picking up the tuition.

    Not including scholarships and work programs. Some communities HS graduation isn't even 50%. We need to fix that before creating a new entitlement. I'd rather pump 34b into inner city schools
    Sure telling people who don't think they will be able to college that they can go to college after all will do nothing to motivate them to do more academically

  8. #238
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Well though I agree that Obama's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top, the problem isn't so much him but those who support his "ideas" and get "orgasmic" every time they hear the word "FREE". Like FREE Obamaphones which aren't free at all but cost the taxpayers billions a year. Or what about the way he promoted the "Affordable Healthcare Act" as FREE coverage or low cost coverage. His supporters ate it up and how's that worked out? Last year in his State of the Union he proposed expanding Free pre-schools and his supporters liked that too but the numbers show it would cost the taxpayers billions of dollars. And now his latest brain fart is Free 2 years of community college tuition. What next? a FREE Chevy Volt upon graduation?
    Greetings, Vesper.

    Lord, don't give him any ideas! He would probably sell it as a patriotic thing - helping our besieged auto makers compete and all that!

    Right now, it's -2 actual temp, with a wind chill of -18. That equals "we stay in the house today" around here, except for the brief foray outside by the dog, who walks four steps, lifts his leg and pees against the handle of the shovel which is beside the door, then immediately wants back inside! It takes me longer than that just to get his coat on in the first place! :

  9. #239
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    And what happens when charter schools decide to throw out the problem kids where did they go? Private and charter schools have the advantage of being able to kick out people who are causing a problem, on the other hand with public schools the assumption is that you have a right to the education and the school can't really get rid of you and less you do something that endangers the other students of the staff like bringing a gun to school or selling drugs.

    Personally though I think the kids were making the most problem, should be sent to a military type of school
    public schools can do the same thing. they can kick out kids that are problems or causing major problems. that is why kids can be expelled.

    I agree there as well. if they are that much trouble they lack discipline and need a little bit.

  10. #240
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Sure telling people who don't think they will be able to college that they can go to college after all will do nothing to motivate them to do more academically
    Your attempt to be witty is unsuccessful as it is impossible to tell which point you're responding to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •