Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 256

Thread: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

  1. #211
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    https://trends.collegeboard.org/site...debt-brief.pdf

    A few years ago the average cost was apparently around $2700/yr, but that doesn't include books and fees or living expenses. It's probably higher now, and certainly higher in some areas. Not everyone get's a pell grant either.

    But you are right, it's not a huge sum. In my state, we have a state lottery scholarship, three different levels of awards, depending on ones hs grades and SAT score. The top level scholarship would cover the full price of community college, plus books and fees, plus a chunk of spending money, but even the lowest level pays for most of our local community college. Students in the bottom half of their hs class don't get crap, but maybe it should be that way.
    Yeah, but if you are even remotely poor you can get massive subsidies already - right? I remember them saying at my community college to apply because if you're hair is blonde or red or brown you can probably get financial aid.

    I'm not arguing, I think cheap education is awesome, but I don't see it changing anything:

    1) It was already close to cheap/free for low-income people
    2) This society requires that a certain number of people be low-income no matter what.

    We can beat around the bush and pretend like we want to help everyone, but the fact is there has to be poor people for this society to function.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #212
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    the reason it sounds hokey is because people with IDS degrees are usually the ones who either couldn't make up their minds or bounced out of their degree too late to get the pre-req's in another discipline.
    Absolutely.

    I disagree with your proposal though. If someone wants to focus on a specific field, they should be able to do so without having to go get a masters just to do it.
    I never suggested that people shouldn't have a specific major, only that we should be more open to the merits and value for the IDS type degree as a foundation for further training and education.

    As for employers, I suspect that a great many are more worried about can they start today and do the job, than a degree, so work experience still matters too unless it is some government bureaucratic policy at play.
    Almost everyone that I have ever talked to, including people with technical degrees, have told me that they learned more on the job than in college. I don't know that anything can change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #213
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    I don't remember what I paid back in the 80's (actually, Uncle Sam paid for it), but now it's $84 a credit hour here in Phoenix.
    That's in-line with the average amount in the link I posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #214
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    ...
    but the fact is there has to be poor people for this society to function.
    Why? Is the creation of wealth zero sum?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #215
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,862

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    How about we reduce graduate loan interest rates and make efforts to cap tuition. I think people should have to invest in their education, if you hand it away for "free" it's undervalued. What they should do is ensure it's affordable for people and loans/tuition are low. Our education problem is that tuition has shot up far beyond the rate of inflation (and even economic growth) with student loan interest rates going up along with the answer to education being "throw more money into loans" with universities reacting as "there is more money available to us to charge in tuition."
    Exactly.

  6. #216
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Why? Is the creation of wealth zero sum?
    No, but the "doing" class is the class that gets paid the least. And until those jobs are automated, they will be required to be filled. Someone has to clean up our ****. Someone has to collect trash. Someone has to be a cashier. Someone has to dig ditches. Someone has to mop the floors.

    They are some of the most important jobs we have, but they are the easiest jobs so they can be filled by anyone and paid next to nothing.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #217
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If you go out and get a degree that you can't use to get a job, then yeah, you're worse off. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that having a bunch of debt from a useless degree isn't going to help you in your life.
    And, on average, do you think that's the case? Do you think more people are helped by or hurt by their degrees?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Wow, some websites. They sure are pushing hard to cut college costs. A quick, 2 minute glance, shows absolutely nothing that is actually being done. Mostly ways to help pay for the high cost of education, or guides to show who charges what.

    Show me something on the level of calling Apple in to scold them for paying their taxes or investigations into gas price increases.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #219
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    The underemployment rate for college graduates and community college graduates is higher than 15%%.

    Gallup Daily: U.S. Employment

    Who needs a high school diploma to wait tables, flip burgers and clean bathrooms, when the college degree has become the new high school diploma?
    That appears to be the general rates, without regard to educational attainment...

    The unemployment rate amongst college grads is currently 2.9%; amongst those with some college/associates degree its 4.9%... each are well below the national average of 6%...

    Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    Breaking News fresh off the presses! Not really sure how all this will work. I guess when it fails in the Congress he'll blame the Republicans...

    Obama: President Proposes 2 Free Years of Community College

    Does anyone have any thoughts as to how this can actually work?

    Because I'm not liking this idea:
    The community colleges will increase their GPA and/or test requirements.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •