Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #701
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    'cept Whites.

    When was the last time a hate crime [formally charged] was committed against a White person?
    Ferguson
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #702
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [emphasis added by bubba]
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/op...ment.html?_r=0
    finally it appears we have identified why the fire chief was terminated: "dismissed Mr. Cochran for what he called poor judgment: specifically, for failing to get approval for the book’s publication, for commenting publicly on his suspension after being told not to, and for exposing the city to possible discrimination lawsuits"
    before i get into this let's also observe what the fire chief was NOT terminated for doing: "the investigation found no evidence that Mr. Cochran had mistreated gays or lesbians"
    this is a very important distinction. there is NO evidence that the fire chief acted in any discriminatory manner. however, he was fired because he could have exposed "the city to possible discrimination lawsuits". but we now know that he did not so so. once again, there is NO evidence that the fire chief discriminated against any of his staff. but he was terminated because he might. how just is that as a basis of termination?
    let's go to the issue that he failed to get approval for writing this book. the fire chief insists he cleared it with the ethics official and the ethics official does not say he did not. however, the mayor now objects insisting that the fire chief failed to seek and obtain the mayor's approval. now, why would the fire chief, after obtaining the OK from the designated ethics official, feel the need to pursue this matter at a higher level?
    and while the city of atlanta placed the fire chief on suspension it forbade him from commenting publicly about the matter. a matter he did discuss while in his church, while not having received any compensation from the city. so, it is OK to withhold one's salary but then tell them that they cannot discuss a matter that impacts them. and yet there are those who will still insist this is not a first amendment matter, where the city of atlanta believes it can deprive a citizen of free speech and then terminate him for exercising that right
    personally, i abhor the position the fire chief took in his book. but i similarly dislike those who tout their pro-life viewpoints to the detriment of personal choice. i don't like it when trim managers express a dissatisfaction with those who allow themselves to be out of shape. but this is not about what i or anyone else likes or dislikes about one's personal opinions. one's actual performance should be determinant about how the employee comported him/herself on the job. and as was shown above, in no way has the fire chief acted in a discriminatory fashion, despite what he has written
    here is the mayor's expectation: [this case is] about making sure that we have an environment in government where everyone, no matter who they love, can come to work from 8 to 5:30 and do their job and then go home without fear of being discriminated against
    and we find that NO one was actually discriminated against. that's the fact of the matter. but how realistic is the mayor in expecting no employee should be "without fear of being discriminated against". we cannot control an employee's fearfulness. the mayor's expressed expectation is an unreasonable one. one that should not result in the termination of a fire chief who, after investigation, was found to have not engaged in discrimination
    this is a bogus termination
    "Opening the city up to discrimination lawsuits." That's what several of us have been saying all along. It opens them up to liability when employees come with complaints about being fired or not promoted, etc because they are gay. Because right there, there is corroborating evidence of their complaints. Not proof, but evidence.

    And according to what was posted, employees complained about the book so it's likely they have reason to do so. There may be complaints already lodged against him that were not solid enough to act on (which we have also discussed at length here.)

    We still dont know that....it's very possible those complaints are confidential unless there is legal action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #703
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,161

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Ferguson
    Who was the White person the hate crime was committed against?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  4. #704
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No, actually not. As I told WHC, he decided to make his beliefs a work issue, and that's what's at heart here. Now, if you told me that one of his employees followed him after work to his church where they recited anti-gay statements, and then reported back to the Mayor's office thus getting the chief fired, then that would certainly be different (and would open an entirely separate can of worms best left for another thread*). But as the Chief he brought his beliefs into the workplace and made it a departmental issue. So, to recap...

    1. He was not fired for his beliefs, he was fired for making his beliefs a workplace issue.
    2. He was not arrested for stating his beliefs, thus his first amendment rights were not infringed.
    I doubt you have the vaguest idea whether his First Amendment rights were violated. If you think you do, please cite the case law that supports your claim.

    I detest even more that it must still be said. People who believe that free speech has no exceptions would probably be surprised to learn about laws against libel and slander. But then, you'll notice how often that speaking out against [fill in undesirable demographic here] is protected by the first amendment, yet criticizing that person's belief is suddenly no longer free speech, but rather "infringing on that person's freedom of speech." Convenient that, no?
    You're right that the First Amendment doesn't protect defamatory speech. Doesn't protect obscenity either, or "fighting words," or, as you suggest, speech that creates a clear and present danger of lawless action.

    But since when is criticizing a person's belief "suddenly no longer free speech?" What on earth are you talking about?

    Sexual orientation is protected under the EEOC. But since you brought it up, if the Chief had handed out books condemning black people or Jews this thread would have ended on page three.
    An administrative rule doesn't mean a damn thing if it violates something in the Constitution. And your hyperbole is pretty transparent. The speech quoted from the booklet did not even come close to "condemning" homosexuals as persons. It merely expressed a religious belief that homosexual acts were vulgar and unclean. Millions of Americans believe the same thing, and they should be able to express that view in passing at their workplace without fear of retaliation.

    a school teacher who made a pornography video on her own time, some parents found out about it (wonder how they did that?), and the teacher got fired.
    What of it? Teachers, especially ones involved with young children, have moral responsibilities that might not apply in other jobs. If she had casually joked to parents at a parent-teacher meeting about the bestiality parties she hosted at her house, should they just have shrugged it off because it took place on her own time? How about if she belonged to some cult that tortured small animals to death for fun on weekends? What if a third-grade teacher had mentioned having sex with young boys on his NAMBLA camping trips? What the hell says parents have to tolerate degenerates teaching their kids?
    i

  5. #705
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Who was the White person the hate crime was committed against?
    The officer.

    Perpetrated by much of society, esp. the media and black spokes people.

    He wasnt convicted but his life is ruined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #706
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,161

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The officer.

    Perpetrated by much of society, esp. the media and black spokes people.

    He wasnt convicted but his life is ruined.
    I agree but, the guilty will never be brought to justice.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  7. #707
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    "Opening the city up to discrimination lawsuits." That's what several of us have been saying all along. It opens them up to liability when employees come with complaints about being fired or not promoted, etc because they are gay. Because right there, there is corroborating evidence of their complaints. Not proof, but evidence.

    And according to what was posted, employees complained about the book so it's likely they have reason to do so. There may be complaints already lodged against him that were not solid enough to act on (which we have also discussed at length here.)

    We still dont know that....it's very possible those complaints are confidential unless there is legal action.
    yep
    once again its just common sense this guy was fired, i dont understand how the guy was THAT dumb
    anybody that would do this and not expect there to be consequences including being fired is an idiot
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #708
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    "Opening the city up to discrimination lawsuits." That's what several of us have been saying all along. It opens them up to liability when employees come with complaints about being fired or not promoted, etc because they are gay. Because right there, there is corroborating evidence of their complaints. Not proof, but evidence.
    i don't disagree with you one iota
    but here is the point
    you terminate someone for the wrong doing he actually committed
    NOT for that which he might commit

    And according to what was posted, employees complained about the book so it's likely they have reason to do so. There may be complaints already lodged against him that were not solid enough to act on (which we have also discussed at length here.)

    We still dont know that....it's very possible those complaints are confidential unless there is legal action.
    what that NYT board editorial tells us is that the investigation revealed NO instance of discrimination by the fire chief
    because he published his views, if he actually engages in discriminatory behavior - as you noted above - his own words will reveal that his discriminatory actions were consistent with his discriminatory views
    but we don't have that. there are no discriminatory actions
    because nothing other than his publication indicates a personal bias. one not evident in the work place. he has not acted on his personal bias
    it's a bogus termination
    i hope he takes it to the courts for a jury of his peers to decide whether this was a justifiable termination action
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #709
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i don't disagree with you one iota
    but here is the point
    you terminate someone for the wrong doing he actually committed
    NOT for that which he might commit

    Having worked for an HR dept, I can tell you that is wrong.

    For example: People can be fired for sexual harassment. Did they attack someone? Force themselves on someone? No, but the implied threat thru their words is actionable.

    People can also be fired for creating a 'hostile work environment.' In 'at will' work states, people can be fired for being assholes, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #710
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    An administrative rule doesn't mean a damn thing if it violates something in the Constitution. And your hyperbole is pretty transparent. The speech quoted from the booklet did not even come close to "condemning" homosexuals as persons. It merely expressed a religious belief that homosexual acts were vulgar and unclean. Millions of Americans believe the same thing, and they should be able to express that view in passing at their workplace without fear of retaliation.
    It looks to me like the main core of your issue is a beef with gays in general than about any supposed infringement of the first amendment. But understand that just because you happen to agree with a particular bigoted sentiment doesn't mean that creating a hostile workplace environment is acceptable. It just means that it's your accepted bigoted sentiment.

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •