Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #671
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Very good analogy. And actually could be close to what happened here. But that would also assume that pro-life people are part of a protected class and they aren't. The end result (hostile workplace) is the same, but the players aren't (protected versus unprotected class). I tried to do something similar a few times in this thread but I think this is a great analogy.
    Yes. But I do think there would be a ruckus if someone had a bumper sticker that maligned blacks. Same could be if someone had a really lewd bumper sticker.

    I wonder if anyone ever brought a formal complaint...or not formal...against those bull balls? I guess they call them Truck Nutz? lol

    Truck Nuts, Bumper Nuts, Hanging Truck Balls, Truck Nutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #672
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,005

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes. But I do think there would be a ruckus if someone had a bumper sticker that maligned blacks. Same could be if someone had a really lewd bumper sticker.

    I wonder if anyone ever brought a formal complaint...or not formal...against those bull balls, lol?
    That's because blacks are a protected class, and pro-lifers aren't.

    Bull's balls?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #673
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's because blacks are a protected class, and pro-lifers aren't.

    Bull's balls?
    Right, that's what I meant....just like political bumper stickers arent either...political affiliation isnt a protected class.

    But then you can also just get into the really offensive, sexually explicit, violence, etc....hence the bull balls, lol. They dont bother me tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #674
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,005

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Right, that's what I meant....just like political bumper stickers arent either...political affiliation isnt a protected class.

    But then you can also just get into the really offensive, sexually explicit, violence, etc....hence the bull balls, lol. They dont bother me tho.
    This is part of my issue with this whole "protected class" thing that I've been trying to articulate in this thread. I know why they exist, but it also selects winners.

    I can be an asshole to the people who work for me who I know are anti-gunners, and they can't cry "hostile workplace".
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #675
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's because blacks are a protected class, and pro-lifers aren't.
    It might depend on how much they link the discrimination to their religion, or present it as being on account of their religion.

    There are other grey areas as well. For example, discriminating against say white hill billies or ghetto blacks might not discrimiantion per se (technically, such discrimiantion would be against a social sub class, not a protected race), but alot of judges might not buy that reasoning.

    Or, "I dont discriminate against Jews"("racial" / religous group) just uhmm...."Zionists". (political group). Of course, just about any Jew can be described as a "zionist" to some degree.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 01-12-15 at 07:51 PM.

  6. #676
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    This is part of my issue with this whole "protected class" thing that I've been trying to articulate in this thread. I know why they exist, but it also selects winners.

    I can be an asshole to the people who work for me who I know are anti-gunners, and they can't cry "hostile workplace".
    Yes but discrimination (against protected classes) and creating of a hostile workplace are two different things. The discrimination can cause the latter but abuse of other kinds, including verbal and retaliatory, can cause a hostile workplace as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #677
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,005

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes but discrimination (against protected classes) and creating of a hostile workplace are two different things. The discrimination can cause the latter but abuse of other kinds, including verbal and retaliatory, can cause a hostile workplace as well.
    But in this case we were talking about the hostile work environment caused by him putting his views into a book about homosexuals. So far I've seen no evidence that he discriminated against anyone or the workplace was, in fact, hostile.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #678
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    But in this case we were talking about the hostile work environment caused by him putting his views into a book about homosexuals. So far I've seen no evidence that he discriminated against anyone or the workplace was, in fact, hostile.
    We're so far removed from the original post case that I'm not sure what we're talking about there anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #679
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,005

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    We're so far removed from the original post case that I'm not sure what we're talking about there anymore!
    Come to think of it, neither am I. I'm starting to think this thread belongs in the Conspiracy Theory section. Lotta suppositions on all of our parts.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #680
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's because blacks are a protected class
    That's a new one on me. I don't feel protected. But then, perhaps I am not black. lol

Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •