Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #631
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    So you are no longer free to say what you wish? He has no first amendment.
    Sure he does, and he exercised it just fine.

  2. #632
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,734

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Sure he does, and he exercised it just fine.
    How does he have his right if he is fired for using it? Shouldn't the city half to remain impartial on a view they don't like? Or do you think it is a good precedent to let people be fired for controversial views?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #633
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,484

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Sure he does, and he exercised it just fine.
    some people will continue to ignore this fact over and over again and instead repeat the lies "he was fired for writing a book" "he was fired for his religious views" "he was fired over his religion" etc etc all dishonest hyperpole
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  4. #634
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    43,220

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    some people will continue to ignore this fact over and over again and instead repeat the lies "he was fired for writing a book" "he was fired for his religious views" "he was fired over his religion" etc etc all dishonest hyperpole
    Well, the facts destroy their argument! What else do you expect them to do?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #635
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    How does he have his right if he is fired for using it?
    Was he arrested for his belief? If the answer to that is anything but "yes," then he exercised his constitutionally protected right to free speech. And even then there is precedent for being arrested for free speech anyway. You've been around here long enough to have heard the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example enough times to cry by now, I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Shouldn't the city half to remain impartial on a view they don't like?
    So the chief doesn't have to be impartial regarding his own beliefs, but everyone else has to remain impartial toward the chief's beliefs. Right-o.

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Or do you think it is a good precedent to let people be fired for controversial views?
    He was fired for creating a hostile work environment, and probably for reflecting badly on the image of diversity and tolerance the mayor was almost certainly interested in maintaining.

  6. #636
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-18 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) good thats step one, your second step will be to fix your issue now that you see it
    2.) please post the factual examples that prove your statement true . .
    3.) see #2
    4.) see #2
    5.) see #2
    6.) and facts proved you wrong along with the very definition of a straw man, remind us what you had on your side beseds "nu-huh"
    but i do agree you try was VERY entertaining, thank you
    7.) theres no reason too
    8.) see #2
    your post fails and fact win again

    so I'm still waiting for you to post one fact that proves your claim true . . . ONE . . not stuff you make up but actually facts, when you can do this please let us know
    failed insults wont change the fact that your claim was destroyed and proven wrong, its just a common move by those that have no logical, factual and honest path to take.

    so in your next post PLEASE fulfill this request . . thank you


    HAHA Translation: You lose!


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #637
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,484

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    HAHA Translation: You lose!


    Tim-
    another dodge, thats what i thought
    when push comes to shove all talk and no results because your posts got nothing
    maybe in your next post youll post ONE single fact that supports your failed and destroyed claims . . . . one
    but i bet you keep dodging and deflecting
    your posts fails and facts win again
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  8. #638
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,532

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    LOL! There's no way I'd read his book either. He has been quoted as saying in the book that he is (was) the fire chef for rescue (and something I can't recall) for the City of Atlanta and also that as the fire chief Cochran wrote that his "job description" is to "cultivate the department's culture for the glory of God," as well as to focus on the mission of saving lives and property.

    Here again his job has zip connection to his religion, but Cochran connected the two for some reason in his book. I suspect he used his title and connection as a way to lend credence to the author and thus the book.
    If this is true and he specifically mentioned his employer, then they had every right to fire him.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #639
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,532

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Was he arrested for his belief? If the answer to that is anything but "yes," then he exercised his constitutionally protected right to free speech. And even then there is precedent for being arrested for free speech anyway. You've been around here long enough to have heard the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example enough times to cry by now, I'm sure.



    So the chief doesn't have to be impartial regarding his own beliefs, but everyone else has to remain impartial toward the chief's beliefs. Right-o.



    He was fired for creating a hostile work environment, and probably for reflecting badly on the image of diversity and tolerance the mayor was almost certainly interested in maintaining.
    Actually, if you draw a line directly from your first point to your third point, then yes, you could make the argument that he was fired for his beliefs, so no, his right to free speech wasn't protected. You're right, you can't yell "fire" in a theater (I detest that overused phrase). But "hostile work environment" protection only extends to "protected classes". In other words, I could say knowing that my boss enjoys slaughtering baby sheep and cows results in an uncomfortable/hostile work environment for me, but I wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally with my HR department.

    Couldn't subordinates now technically make a case with HR that their manager attending or acting as an elder in a church that teaches the same things about the gay lifestyle that Cochran included in his book create a hostile/uncomfortable work environment for them?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #640
    Believer
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,488

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    I had a supervisor in Los Angeles who was openly lesbian, placed discreet, but still very noticable, "rainbow" themed decorations in her office and made it known that she was an atheist. In personal conversations to me, she let me know she had a dim view of the social role of orgainized religion- of any sort.

    Since by local standards, I was a very conservative Christian (active church goer), could I demand her removal based on the possibility that she might be hostile to me as an individual and then might seek to punish me for my views by hindering my advancement?

    Or, would I have needed to wait until she actually did something that I could prove?
    Excellent. My sentiments exactly.

    His firing was based on assumptions.
    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world." - Antonin Scalia

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •