Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #421
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Unfortunately, our society has reached the point of granting immoral sexual perverts a much stronger “protected class” status than religious faith, such that hard violations of the rights of the latter are now often deemed acceptable and necessary, in order to protect the former from having their feelings hurt.
    Only fi you are Christian. if you are any other religion then they bow down and get out of the way for you.
    it is only if you are Christian do they actually get the pitchforks and torches down.

    I wouldn't go that far it does nothing to call people names and I don't do that. I respect the choices that they make even though I don't have to agree with it.
    this guy was fired for not reason that expressing a religious view point outside of work.

    there is no documentation anywhere that he discriminated against anyone.

  2. #422
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    They are, but the point remains government is not a singular monolithic entity that you portrayed it as.
    That was more your point than it was mine. You were the one who tried to foist responsibility off of the local authorities onto the big monolithic structure of federal regulation as if the city's hands were tied... being just a cog in said monolithic regulatory machine.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #423
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    No it isn't. That is not in any way a standard workplace policy. I have worked in state, local and federal government for 30 years and NEVER has what you stated been the policy of the workplace. If that is the policy in the city of Atlanta then it is both abnormal and illegal.

    Thing that gets me in all of this is the fact that any of these words are merely a mouse click away from ANYONE wanting them, public, private, it matters little, both spaces have the internet and MOST web filters do not subscribe to politically correct speech, so they don't work well.. Maybe we need more progressives to design software to keep us all safe from those pesky neoconservative liberty seekers..

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #424
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    You're comparing speech on a public sidewalk to speech of someone who hires/fires/manages for the government (or even in general). It's no the same. You can walk around in a thong on the sidewalk too, but I wouldn't try it at work.
    If your religion required you wear a thong then you'd have a case.

    Also you don't give up the right to first amendment protection of religious expression because you are a manager. Again, the SCOTUS is very clear on this in case law.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #425
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,461

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    There's no evidence that Mr. Cochrane “tried to impose his lifestyle or beliefs on his subordinates”. The argument is that simply because he made it known that he disapproves of a certain form of immorality, that his leadership would create a hostile work environment for perverts who hold to that form of immorality. That being the case, wouldn't a leader who lets it be known that he engages in a certain form of immorality also create a hostile environment for subordinates who hold to decent moral standards?
    If any captain had done the same in the Navy, he would be relieved of command. Why? Because if a captain published something like that, everyone in the command would soon know about it, every homosexual would be fear for his career if his sexual orientation were exposed, and every homophobe among the officers and senior enlisted would feel empowered to go after such people working for them.

    And YES, this retired Navy man can tell you it DOES work this way. It's not a PC thing, it's a LEADERSHIP thing.

    One just wonders what y'all would have been saying if he had been a Muslim and done the same thing. Actually, we don't have to wonder - we all know what the right-wing Islamophobes on DP would be saying...but since it was a right-wing evangelical, well, THAT means that Real 'Muricans must stand up for him!
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #426
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    [B]
    The chief was fired for his religious beliefs
    Well, that's rather in dispute.

    From what I've been able to gather it seems he was suspended after giving his subordinates a copy of a book containing some of his beliefs, and seemingly at least one of those employees went to his superiors to complain about him distributing his book to his subordinates. This suspension was seemingly to look into if there was a potential issue regarding the cities anti-discrimination laws.

    This was due to a passage in his book which suggested his first priority as the fire chief was "to cultivate its culture to the glory of God". When you then proceed to equate homosexuals...a protected status by Atlanta's anti-discrimination laws....to those who engage in pedorasty and beastiality (both illegal acts) after stating that your top priority on the job is to cultivate a culture that fits your religious views then it reasonably sets off alarms of potential anti-discrimination issues.

    He was reportedly fired for talking about an ongoing investigation while on suspension, publishing the book without authorization which supposedly is required by his employment contract (the former part of that he disputes), and because of the potential liability that the city of Atlanta would face keeping him employed in a supervisory role.

    Him remaining in any kind of supervisory position would be a gigantic "COME SUE US" sign for any homosexual employee who was unhappy with shifts/promotions/treatment or any homosexual applicant who was not offered a job....as they could point to this individuals book, his statements about homosexuality, his claim that his job as chief is to cultivate a culture pleasing to god, and alledge then that it was his efforts to create such a culture that led to their treatment.

  7. #427
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    If your religion required you wear a thong then you'd have a case.

    Also you don't give up the right to first amendment protection of religious expression because you are a manager. Again, the SCOTUS is very clear on this in case law.
    I don't think you could wear a thong to work, even if some random Bible passage said you should. Meanwhile, even the Pope has said: "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?”

    Are you so sure your religion requires you to hate homosexuals?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #428
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Thing that gets me in all of this is the fact that any of these words are merely a mouse click away from ANYONE wanting them, public, private, it matters little, both spaces have the internet and MOST web filters do not subscribe to politically correct speech, so they don't work well.. Maybe we need more progressives to design software to keep us all safe from those pesky neoconservative liberty seekers..

    Tim-
    The job I just left was in the Federal Government in Washington DC a block from the White House. Risky would have had a conniption if he witnessed their Christmas decoration competition, overlooking the White House Christmas tree, no less!
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #429
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    What law says religious material can be handed out at work to people you think want them? Look into that and get back to me.
    I already have religion is a protect class. you seem to be ignoring this fact.

    Cochran states in his book that he distributed at work that homosexuality as a “perversion” akin to bestiality and pederasty and also states that his first duty as chief is to change the fire department so that it glorifies God and in essence believes as the chief believes. That's wrong.
    yes that was in the book BECAUSE IT WAS A STUDY GUIDE FOR THE BIBLE. that is what the BIBLE SAYS. in a chapter about sexual morality. boy for someone that thinks he knows it all you know nothing.



    No, that is not true. Stop attributing things to me that I have not said!
    that is your view point. he spoke out against homosexuality and gay marriage while also speaking out against sex outside of marriage among other things. he should have his life ruined. because a few people get their panties in a bunch.


    My workplace has very specific policies related to workplace behavior. My workplace does not tolerate harassment based on religion, gender, race, sexual orientation or disability. You are free to believe anything you want but it is against policy for you to express those personal opinions at work. Employees are made aware of these policies when they become employed during their initial processing through human resources. They sign forms acknowledging this and are given a copy of this policy (and others). They are also informed as to the procedures for inquiring about a policy and/or a violation of a policy and/or how and to whom the violation is reported, and the procedures relating to how the complaint will be investigated.

    One day when you start work you'll likely have the experience when you go through human resources.
    I already have a job and trust me I see HR violations everywhere however guess what people I work with don't wear their friggen heart on their sleeve.
    PS by posting this on a forum you should be fired. you are disparaging against religious people and their view point.

    you should be fired and you should lose your job.

    he didn't express them at work he expressed them outside of work.
    what part of that don't you understand or don't comprehend?

    I guess the whole thing. the city violated his rights to express his religious views outside of work and fired him over it. I hope he sues.
    religious discrimination is against the law.

    Former Atlanta fire chief considers suing city over termination - LGBT Georgia | Gay Georgia | Gay Atlanta | LGBT Atlanta

    The book includes this passage: “Uncleanness—whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

    Cochran said the language he used was lifted directly from biblical text.

    “My intent was not to hurt anyone. I wrote straight from the words of the Bible,” he said.

    he has never had 1 complaint against him for discrimination even when he did work for the President. ooppsss left that one out didn't they.

  10. #430
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, that's rather in dispute.

    From what I've been able to gather it seems he was suspended after giving his subordinates a copy of a book containing some of his beliefs, and seemingly at least one of those employees went to his superiors to complain about him distributing his book to his subordinates. This suspension was seemingly to look into if there was a potential issue regarding the cities anti-discrimination laws.

    This was due to a passage in his book which suggested his first priority as the fire chief was "to cultivate its culture to the glory of God". When you then proceed to equate homosexuals...a protected status by Atlanta's anti-discrimination laws....to those who engage in pedorasty and beastiality (both illegal acts) after stating that your top priority on the job is to cultivate a culture that fits your religious views then it reasonably sets off alarms of potential anti-discrimination issues.

    He was reportedly fired for talking about an ongoing investigation while on suspension, publishing the book without authorization which supposedly is required by his employment contract (the former part of that he disputes), and because of the potential liability that the city of Atlanta would face keeping him employed in a supervisory role.

    Him remaining in any kind of supervisory position would be a gigantic "COME SUE US" sign for any homosexual employee who was unhappy with shifts/promotions/treatment or any homosexual applicant who was not offered a job....as they could point to this individuals book, his statements about homosexuality, his claim that his job as chief is to cultivate a culture pleasing to god, and alledge then that it was his efforts to create such a culture that led to their treatment.
    In the same way that the actions against the chief is a gigantic "COME SUE US" sign planted on the Chief's front lawn. As I pointed out earlier, the SCOTUS is pretty clear on when and where hate speech can be enforced, namely when violence against the target group is immanent. If the Chief fired a gay person for no actionable reason then they could indeed sue him for discrimination, but that would be a case for the courts. What the City of Atlanta has done is punish the Chief for a crime they think he might commit which is a violation of his first amendment freedoms.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •