Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #401
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    No, they are simply the legal arm of institutional discrimination.
    No, but there is a definition for hate speech and you have failed to show it fits within those guidelines. Clearly, a manager who claims a group of citizens acting within the law are equal to that of a pedophile is espousing hate.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #402
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,678

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    the city of atlanta is not responsible for federal eeoc regulations

    bzzt try again
    So they aren't responsible for their interpretation and enforcement of federal regulations?

    bzzt try again
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #403
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    strawman. a porno magazine is not protected by law. religious material can be more so if it was asked for. again he didn't hand it out to everyone just his friends at work.
    Legal porno magazines are uh, you know, legal. How are they not? But you admit handing out porno mags at work to people who you assume want them would likely screw up your career.

    Since a porno mag isn't protected by the law then well you can be fired.
    bringing a bible or other religious material is protected by the law.
    Now we are getting somewhere. What law says legal porno mags cannot be handed out at work to people you think want them? What law says religious material can be handed out at work to people you think want them? Look into that and get back to me.

    actually it is. he wrote the book for a bible study outside of work. someone heard about it went and bought a copy of it and then went to one of the openly gay council members and went look. the problem is the chapter in question is what the bible has to say about sexual morality. not just homosexual but all sexual morality. that includes hetrosexual morality as well.
    In the book based on Christian values, Cochran identifies himself as Atlanta’s fire chief and says his first priority as chief is to run the department “to cultivate its culture to the glory of God.”
    Cochran states in his book that he distributed at work that homosexuality as a “perversion” akin to bestiality and pederasty and also states that his first duty as chief is to change the fire department so that it glorifies God and in essence believes as the chief believes. That's wrong.

    yea I spent a few more minutes googling into it. there are plenty of facts out there.

    you don't care what it was about because OMG someone said they don't agree with homosexuality or homosexual marriage therefore they should have their lives destroyed.
    No, that is not true. Stop attributing things to me that I have not said!

    I think you should be fired for having a distain for religious view points. you are creating a hostile work environment for publicly announcing your disagreement with people with religious view points.

    see I can present the same argument that you do.
    My workplace has very specific policies related to workplace behavior. My workplace does not tolerate harassment based on religion, gender, race, sexual orientation or disability. You are free to believe anything you want but it is against policy for you to express those personal opinions at work. Employees are made aware of these policies when they become employed during their initial processing through human resources. They sign forms acknowledging this and are given a copy of this policy (and others). They are also informed as to the procedures for inquiring about a policy and/or a violation of a policy and/or how and to whom the violation is reported, and the procedures relating to how the complaint will be investigated.

    One day when you start work you'll likely have the experience when you go through human resources.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm confused by your post. I'm not placing burdens on anyone. And I believe this is taking away his right to free speech. No action was required on the part of the people who received a copy of his book. I'm not aware of something that prohibits us from writing about our religious (or in my case, lack of religious) views and sharing them with co-workers. It doesn't say in any article I've read that he expected something in return, or that he imposed his views on people, or that he demanded or expected behavioral changes from these people. So what I see is a man sharing his published religious views with other people. That is, IMO, his First Amendment right.
    I agree with you completely. And I suspect Jay Sekulow or some other top-notch First Amendment lawyer will want to go to bat for the fire chief on this. These issues showcase just how intolerant and undemocratic many people who like to call themselves "liberals" really are. Their beloved doctrine of political correctness, which was invented by communists, is specifically designed to suppress the freedom of speech. A homosexual who was a real liberal would be defending the chief's right to do what he did.

    It was less than forty years ago that Jewish lawyers fought all the way to the Supreme Court for the right of a group of Nazi goofballs to parade, in full regalia, including swaztikas, through a community they chose because many of the residents were Jews who had survived concentration camps. The freedom to say despicable things is more important than hurt feelings--even when the hurt is as severe as that. Today's ersatz liberals, who are really leftist radicals who resent this country and its Constitution, would be fighting to silence the Nazis.

  5. #405
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I agree with you completely. And I suspect Jay Sekulow or some other top-notch First Amendment lawyer will want to go to bat for the fire chief on this. These issues showcase just how intolerant and undemocratic many people who like to call themselves "liberals" really are. Their beloved doctrine of political correctness, which was invented by communists, is specifically designed to suppress the freedom of speech. A homosexual who was a real liberal would be defending the chief's right to do what he did.

    It was less than forty years ago that Jewish lawyers fought all the way to the Supreme Court for the right of a group of Nazi goofballs to parade, in full regalia, including swaztikas, through a community they chose because many of the residents were Jews who had survived concentration camps. The freedom to say despicable things is more important than hurt feelings--even when the hurt is as severe as that. Today's ersatz liberals, who are really leftist radicals who resent this country and its Constitution, would be fighting to silence the Nazis.
    How could you possibly not know that there are laws against discrimination in the work place? And if you do know about them, how could he possibly manage without discriminating when holding those types of views?

    Are you telling me you think a gay person would have a fair shake at a job in his fire house?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #406
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,678

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    No, but there is a definition for hate speech and you have failed to show it fits within those guidelines. Clearly, a manager who claims a group of citizens acting within the law are equal to that of a pedophile is espousing hate.

    "Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of hatred for some group, especially in circumstances in which the communication is likely to provoke violence. It is an incitement to hatred primarily against a group of persons defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the like. Hate speech can be any form of expression regarded as offensive to racial, ethnic and religious groups and other discrete minorities or to women."
    - (source)

    The chief was fired for his religious beliefs, stating that those with such beliefs should be fired, in fact SHOWING that those with such beliefs should be fired, is in fact hate speech.

    The problem with Hate Speech law, and why they will eventually be undone by saner future generations, is that they are themselves intolerant and can not be enforced without the use of base hypocrisy and more damaging than those who are being punished for their beliefs.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #407
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    You are trying to separate Government from laws and regulations. The laws and regulations ARE the Government and in this case the laws and regulations are demonstrably intolerant of certain religious views such that you can lose your job for expressing them.
    No religion in the workplace. None. Not yours, not mine, not anyone's. NONE. Problem solved. I would assume that that is the policy relating to employees for the City of Atlanta.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #408
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,678

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    No religion in the workplace. None. Not yours, not mine, not anyone's. NONE. Problem solved. I would assume that that is the policy relating to employees for the City of Atlanta.
    That is YOUR desire and YOUR belief. You are simply enforcing your desires on other people and pretending it is rational equality.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #409
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,678

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I wonder how people would feel if this same person was distributing satanic or kkk pamphlets. Would they still cry first amendment?
    100% YES. But then some people are simply more aware that infringement of First Amendment rights on anyone is infringement on First Amendment rights of everyone. Others are more self centered and choose to wait until they disagree with the government enforcers.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #410
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post

    "Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of hatred for some group, especially in circumstances in which the communication is likely to provoke violence. It is an incitement to hatred primarily against a group of persons defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the like. Hate speech can be any form of expression regarded as offensive to racial, ethnic and religious groups and other discrete minorities or to women."
    - (source)

    The chief was fired for his religious beliefs, stating that those with such beliefs should be fired, in fact SHOWING that those with such beliefs should be fired, is in fact hate speech.

    The problem with Hate Speech law, and why they will eventually be undone by saner future generations, is that they are themselves intolerant and can not be enforced without the use of base hypocrisy and more damaging than those who are being punished for their beliefs.
    They are pretty simple... really. Here you go:

    1) Is what you are talking about a group of people.
    2) Are you defining that group of people by something that is perfectly legal (such as homosexuality or color of skin)
    3) Are you talking negatively about that entire group of people?

    Ok, great job, you've just committed hate speech. If there is a group of people who are unhirable in your eyes... you don't get to ****ing manage people. I wouldn't talk about that **** at work, or you're going to get ****ing fired.

    Use your ****ing head.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •