Page 37 of 72 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #361
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    so you are now saying he shouldn't be fired since the city is disparaging against his Christian religious views?
    seems to me you have an issue to resolve in your argument.
    lol, the city is not doing that, they are firing someone.

    seriously, how old are you? your lack of understanding of .. anything is seriously amusing.

  2. #362
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Right right right.

    So now will you address my original point...which had nothing to do with whether or not firing would be legitimate...and was questioning why you kept using a hypothetical that implied peers by using the term "co-worker" continually, instead of using one more relevant to the case that is supervisor and subordinate.

    I can't imagine in whatever job you work at that there is not some different levels, types, or strictness of rules regarding allowable actions in the case of a supervisor and a subordinate as opposed to two peers.
    So what you're saying is the termination was just because he was the boss? I don't know that. I've already said that. That would require me saying that I know for a fact I couldn't fire one of my team members for doing what the Atlanta FD chief did and giving the book to co-workers on my team, but that I could and would get fired for bringing in a book that I wrote and giving it to those same team members.

    I'm not sure what it is you don't get. I don't know the answer to the question.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #363
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,202

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    do a bit of research he condemned all sexual immorality. the pages in question where in a chapter what was dealing with what the bible said on sexual morality.
    he also mentioned that sex outside of marriage is wrong. maybe you should get all the facts instead of jumping to conclusions.
    You think that makes it better? So if I'm having sex with my girlfriend my boss gives me a book condemning me? I used homosexuality as one example. Thanks for clearing it up that his book condemned a much wider group.

    When you go to a workplace is it to:
    A) Work
    or
    B) To be condemned for your private life

    prove he did any of it. he handed the book out to personal friends that he worked with. he is allowed to do that.
    the thing is they have no proof.

    they committed religious discrimination and I hope they pay the price.
    Where are you getting that he only gave it to personal friends? The article said he gave it to workers.

    They actually didn't. The guy may get his job back but they won't pay any price.

    You seem to be making the same mistake people do when they argue something is protected by the 1st Amendment. The right to practice doesn't mean you have the right to jam it down everyone's throat in every situation.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #364
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Ive told multiple HR managers that they might as well be lawyers and get paid more for doing the same thing :P
    You got that right! HR people are not paid nearly enough for what they have to do. It's a nasty job and takes a special kind of person and that ain't me. I love that I have them to go to.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #365
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So what you're saying is the termination was just because he was the boss? I don't know that. I've already said that. That would require me saying that I know for a fact I couldn't fire one of my team members for doing what the Atlanta FD chief did and giving the book to co-workers on my team, but that I could and would get fired for bringing in a book that I wrote and giving it to those same team members.

    I'm not sure what it is you don't get. I don't know the answer to the question.
    In my last discrimination seminar (I thought it was a requirement all managers do this yearly, maybe thats just my company) it was drilled into my head that managers are under a lot more scrutiny due to the fact that they 1. represent the company to the rank and file and 2. can use the weight of the company in personal decisions.

  6. #366
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    1.)I already supported my argument and you have proven nothing wrong.

    2.) Fact the book he made was outside of work for a bible study at his church (protected)
    3.) the chapter in question deals with what the bible says on sexual immorality (protected)
    4.) he handed the book out to people that he had personal relationships with.
    5.) there is no evidence that he discriminated against anyone.
    6.) so yea those are the facts your opinion is irrelevant.
    7.) see I have already supported my argument plenty of times
    8.)you have yet to prove anything wrong.
    9.) you saying something is wrong doesn't make it so.
    1.) no you didnt has facts, multiple posts/posters, the article and law already proved.
    2.) not fired for that, fact
    3.) not fired for that
    4.) co workers part of which he was fired for
    5.) wasnt fired for discrimination
    6.) you havent posted any relevant facts and ive given you no opinions or mine
    7.) has it was just proven again you havent, all you did is state things that dont matter and he wasnt fired for . . all strawman
    8.) correct facts, law and the articles do though
    9.) agreed good thing thats not why your argument failed and cant be supported
    fact win again

    thank you for AGAIN proving you cant support you argument
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #367
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree with this concept. However, where does it stop?
    My take?

    On the city, state, or federal rules regarding groups granted civil protection against work place discrimination.

    Things like Race and Religion have long since been on the list.

    For many places now, Sexual Orientation is on that list.

    If somehow "Puppy Breeding Choice" becomes a protected status then you may have a leg to stand on for acting against someone who's doing actions, in the work place, that leads to a hostile/offensive work environment for people based on their Puppy Breeding Choice.

    EVERYTHING is a slippery slope. Every single law we have on the books, every single policy any company puts forward all of it; it's all a slippery slope. We decide "where it stops" continually as a society at all levels. Simply pointing to the slippery slope and saying "where does it stop" is never a good reason to NOT do something. If you can't put forward an argument as to why it SHOULD stop at a particular point, and all you have left is "where does it stop/slippery slope", that should be a good indication that the answer to "where it should stop" is "not here".

  8. #368
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    In my last discrimination seminar (I thought it was a requirement all managers do this yearly, maybe thats just my company) it was drilled into my head that managers are under a lot more scrutiny due to the fact that they 1. represent the company to the rank and file and 2. can use the weight of the company in personal decisions.
    No, we have to do the same annual crap. My team members have to do annual harassment training and sensitivity and all that too.

    To your point, that is true about managers but that isn't defined separately in the federal rules on employment.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #369
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Welp, this is part of it. Fire anyone that speaks poorly of gays.
    another failed strawman
    and no thats not the gay agenda

    again please tell us, using facts what is the gay agenda? thank you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #370
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    No, we have to do the same annual crap. My team members have to do annual harassment training and sensitivity and all that too.

    To your point, that is true about managers but that isn't defined separately in the federal rules on employment.
    In my training, state laws tend to be cited, but I don't remember what as I am usually trying to stay awake.

Page 37 of 72 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •