Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    For silent prayer probably not. For yelling "we should get rid of every last damn Jew" certainly. That creates a hostile work environment. The fact is, as lot of rights are not given to employees. There are a lot of limitations on what is appropriate at the workplace. The Constitution protects you from the government as a citizen. The guy in the article worked for the government but it was an employer/employee relationship.
    Your claim about what the Constitution protects is not very accurate. I already mentioned here that firing government employees--in contrast to employees who work for private firms at will-- may involve several constitutional issues. These may include the First Amendment freedoms of speech and religion.

    I doubt your conclusion that the black employee in my hypothetical could "certainly" be fired for that statement. He might, or not, but it's far from certain that a single statement in private conversation by a government would do enough to create a hostile work environment to justify firing him.

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    The same should be applied to anyone who disparages any group, gays, christians, muslims, black people, white people, moonies, people who eat cheese, people with one bigger than another, blonds, etc.
    So fire everyone. Because we all have our own "isms" that we employee every day.

  3. #353
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree with this concept. However, where does it stop?

    I oppose puppy mills and back yard breeding with every fiber of my being. If someone who is my peer or even my superior wrote a book about the "Joys of breeding your bitch 4 times a year to produce pet store puppies", and it was published and he gave it to me and others, I'm not sure that would result in his termination. Nor do I think it should result in his termination. But it would make me hostile nonetheless. You can probably find something that creates a hostile environment for someone in every business and employer in this world if the definition is "bothers anyone who may have views or sympathies".
    Its why I am glad I did not go into HR and went into a technical field that did not require so much interpretation, that line is there, but I guess its like the SCOTUS's comments on porn, you cant define it, but you know it when you see it. I honestly wish there was a better answer.

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Welp, this is part of it. Fire anyone that speaks poorly of gays.
    Chick fila
    the CEO from CA that was fired for donating his personal money to something that he believed in.

    the list will continue to grow.
    you will see more and more stories like this because heaven forbid people have a difference of opinion to the thought police of this country.

  5. #355
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    But I've never had to confront it so I have no idea. I'm just saying IMO it isn't as cut and dry as I think some people assume it is.
    Right right right.

    So now will you address my original point...which had nothing to do with whether or not firing would be legitimate...and was questioning why you kept using a hypothetical that implied peers by using the term "co-worker" continually, instead of using one more relevant to the case that is supervisor and subordinate.

    I can't imagine in whatever job you work at that there is not some different levels, types, or strictness of rules regarding allowable actions in the case of a supervisor and a subordinate as opposed to two peers.

  6. #356
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    So fire everyone. Because we all have our own "isms" that we employee every day.
    or people can discuss the job at hand

  7. #357
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I had one lady who was a 55 year old disabled philipino woman. The amount of paperwork and time it took (it took over a year before the HR VP (yes it went up that far) would agree to it and they even had legal look at it)

    Even though she clearly did not understand and we could not successfully train her on the technical aspects of her job.
    Two things jump out at me: disabled, and 55 year old woman. The first makes it VERY hard to terminate. Disability is a broad thing too. I have a color blind employee. Yes, he is on our records as having a disability.

    I've only had to terminate 2 women in all my years as a manager, and both times took much longer than the men. I don't envy the people in HR as I think they are walking on eggshells constantly. The rules could fill up 8 floors of the Empire State Building if you printed them all out.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #358
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    The same should be applied to anyone who disparages any group, gays, christians, muslims, black people, white people, moonies, people who eat cheese, people with one bigger than another, blonds, etc.
    so you are now saying he shouldn't be fired since the city is disparaging against his Christian religious views?
    seems to me you have an issue to resolve in your argument.

  9. #359
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Finally. I was hoping someone other than myself saw this.

    Does anyone not think that is at the core of this?
    I absolutely think it's at the heart of it.

    If this was a private entity things become a lot more murky. The screams of "FIRST AMENDMENT! FIRST AMENDMENT" become much more eye roll worthy, as the first amendment doesn't protect you from non-government entities inflicting legal consequences against you for your words/religious beliefs. Because this is a government entity, and specifically because it's a religion fueled book, it does become a bit more wonky in terms of what is or isn't allowed.

  10. #360
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Two things jump out at me: disabled, and 55 year old woman. The first makes it VERY hard to terminate. Disability is a broad thing too. I have a color blind employee. Yes, he is on our records as having a disability.

    I've only had to terminate 2 women in all my years as a manager, and both times took much longer than the men. I don't envy the people in HR as I think they are walking on eggshells constantly. The rules could fill up 8 floors of the Empire State Building if you printed them all out.
    Ive told multiple HR managers that they might as well be lawyers and get paid more for doing the same thing :P

Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •