Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #191
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    There's no evidence that Mr. Cochrane “tried to impose his lifestyle or beliefs on his subordinates”. The argument is that simply because he made it known that he disapproves of a certain form of immorality, that his leadership would create a hostile work environment for perverts who hold to that form of immorality. That being the case, wouldn't a leader who lets it be known that he engages in a certain form of immorality also create a hostile environment for subordinates who hold to decent moral standards?
    So if your boss passed around a book condemning the Book of Mormon, you'd be fine with that? After all, he's not "trying to impose his beliefs," he's just saying yours are wrong. Haven't you heard of the First Amendment? How dare you be so intolerant?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #192
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,808

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Indeed, think of what it would mean if politicians were not allowed to freely hold, and express what beliefs they will, and to act in their duties according to their beliefs? The entire process of lawmaking really depends on the ability of lawmakers to discuss and debate their opinions freely, and to author and vote on legislation in accordance therewith.
    The public is not a subordinate of the politician. Your situation is not analogous.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #193
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    There's no evidence that Mr. Cochrane “tried to impose his lifestyle or beliefs on his subordinates”. The argument is that simply because he made it known that he disapproves of a certain form of immorality, that his leadership would create a hostile work environment for perverts who hold to that form of immorality. That being the case, wouldn't a leader who lets it be known that he engages in a certain form of immorality also create a hostile environment for subordinates who hold to decent moral standards?
    No, that is your strawman argument. We have a problem with him pushing his views on subordinates by giving out books to them.

  4. #194
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    A fire chief is a public servant and not a lawmaker.
    Nevertheless, he is a citizen of the United States, and therefore, every bit as entitled to his rights under the First Amendment as every other citizen. Nothing in the First Amendment allows the rights that it affirms to be denied as a condition of working for the government. Same as the rest of the Bill of Rights.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #195
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    If Kelvin Cochran had been passing out Korans these Baptists would have been demanding that he be fired.
    Possibly, and they would be just as wrong as the pervert lobby is for demanding that he be fired.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #196
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    They are different faces of the exact same evil. Why is one given the status of a politically-correct “protected class”, and the other not?
    Adultry harms the spouse that is being cheated on. Homosexuality harms no one and is only between the people who are in a relationship with each other.

  7. #197
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Except that you don't know what "intolerant" means. Disagreeing is not intolerance. That's just a lie you tell yourself so you have a name to call other people.
    Agreeing that someone should be fired from his job for expressing beliefs that you find disagreeable certainly constitutes intolerance.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #198
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,808

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Nevertheless, he is a citizen of the United States, and therefore, every bit as entitled to his rights under the First Amendment as every other citizen. Nothing in the First Amendment allows the rights that it affirms to be denied as a condition of working for the government. Same as the rest of the Bill of Rights.
    The first amendment actually does require that the government not push religion on people.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #199
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Agreeing that someone should be fired from his job for expressing beliefs that you find disagreeable certainly constitutes intolerance.
    Actually, I haven't said whether I agree with the decision or not. Don't let that stop you from tossing around the word 'intolerant." Did you just learn this word and are still trying to figure out how to use it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #200
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So if your boss passed around a book condemning the Book of Mormon, you'd be fine with that? After all, he's not "trying to impose his beliefs," he's just saying yours are wrong. Haven't you heard of the First Amendment? How dare you be so intolerant?
    I have no problem with the idea that there are people who do not agree with my religion. I have no problem with the idea that they may occasionally attempt to express their disagreement with me.

    I am secure in my beliefs, and do not feel harmed by the fact that not everyone else agrees with them.

    It is certainly better to allow others the right to express their beliefs, no matter how strongly they disagree with mine; than to accept the possibility that I might be denied the right to hold and express my own beliefs.

    Nothing in the First Amendment establishes, nor even implies, a right not to be exposed to beliefs and opinions that are in conflict with your own.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •