Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #151
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,800

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What on Earth is with the hostile post and the shouting?
    Sorry, tres. I wasn't shouting. I was highlighting for emphasis. It was not my attention to shout at you.

    And where did he say he had any "business knowing about the sexual orientation of his employees or their family members"? Are you making things up now?
    He doesn't have any business knowing, that is my point in this instance. However, statistically we can assume that a percentage of people who work under his supervision are homosexual or have sons or daughters or family members who are homosexual. The point is he doesn't know. He did, however, hand out a book that he wrote stating his personal belief about his religion relating to homosexuality. There is no way his alleged actions could make those people feel comfortable about their sexual orientation or about their opinions about sexual orientation or their opinions about his specific religious beliefs. The should not be put in a position where they have their big boss saying in essence "what you do and what you belief is wrong". That is precisely what he is alleged to have done.

    And you say he has "no business knowing the religions of his employees". Sorry but there is no law that prohibits his employees from making their religious beliefs known to him or attending the same church as their supervisor.
    Agreed and there is no law requiring employees to inform their employers and supervisors of their religion. Therefore Cochran has no idea unless how many people he supervises are of a particular faith. That alone is a reason for him not to assume. People who aren't of his faith or are a less extreme member of his faith or are of no faith at all should not have to be concerned about how his feelings may effect their employment. Frankly and thankfully, most Christians and most people of other religions and most atheists don't feel compelled to tell their bosses or even their workmates about their religious beliefs. It's off putting at least and coming from a person with Cochran's background it can be a big red flag.

    And if you read about this story (which apparently you didn't) you will see that he gave that book to less than 5 people whose religious beliefs were the same as his. And he also gave a copy to the mayor a year ago, and the mayor said he would read it.
    So all the five people share his religion and share his views on his religion and share his views on homosexuality? You don't know. I don't know and neither does Cochran. He assumes. In his high position there he has to know that one hell of a lot of what he hears from people reporting to him is butt kissing.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #152
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    EVERYONE has opinions and the God given right as Americans to express those opinions even in written book form. Show me the Chief's employee file with actual discrimination evidence and/or evidence of a hostile work environment. If there is nothing there to support such claims then Mayor Mohammed Kasim Reed should be ashamed of himself for this decision.

  3. #153
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Because they're not really liberals, but the very opposite.
    “Liberals”, in the modern American sense, are very tolerant, as long as they agree with what it is that they are to tolerate. Not so much of opinions and beliefs that they find disagreeable.

    But when you think about it, this wrong-wing version of “tolerance” does seem to miss the whole point of tolerance, doesn't it?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #154
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    “Liberals”, in the modern American sense, are very tolerant, as long as they agree with what it is that they are to tolerate. Not so much of opinions and beliefs that they find disagreeable.

    But when you think about it, this wrong-wing version of “tolerance” does seem to miss the whole point of tolerance, doesn't it?
    We don't agree with public figures in positions of authority pushing their religion on subordinates. Sorry this bothers you so much.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Do I have this right? The guy was writing a book and asked some of his co-workers to read it? And because it was religious in nature and spoke ill of a protected liberal group of supposed victims the guy was fired? Is this sort of thing strictly prohibited in the Chiefs contract, or is the mayor just scared of the intolerant fascist homo activists raining down on him?

  6. #156
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    “Liberals”, in the modern American sense, are very tolerant, as long as they agree with what it is that they are to tolerate. Not so much of opinions and beliefs that they find disagreeable.

    But when you think about it, this wrong-wing version of “tolerance” does seem to miss the whole point of tolerance, doesn't it?
    If disagreeing with someone and saying so makes you intolerant, I guess there's a lot of intolerant people on this site. You included if that's your definition.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Yeah the publishers and distributors of the Gideon Bible should be in prison.

    Ever heard of the first amendment?
    nope they haven't.

  8. #158
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/us...iews.html?_r=0

    ATLANTA — Mayor Kasim Reed announced Tuesday that he had fired the chief of the city’s Fire Rescue Department, Kelvin Cochran, after Mr. Cochran gave workers a religious book he wrote containing passages that condemn homosexuality.

    Mr. Reed had suspended Mr. Cochran for a month without pay in November, opening an investigation into whether Mr. Cochran’s authorship and distribution of the book to workers violated the city’s nondiscrimination policies. That move sparked a debate about religious liberty and freedom of expression: Last month, the 1.4-million member Georgia Baptist Convention began an online petition that called for Mr. Cochran’s reinstatement and suggested his First Amendment rights had been violated.

    The matter also presents a challenge for Mr. Reed, a second-term Democrat who presides over a metropolis whose social mosaic is defined by strong expressions of Christianity and large and politically powerful gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual groups.

    snip...

    Homosexual Agenda strikes again
    They're out to get you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #159
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Like I said, he was fired for discrimination. Had what he wrote not mentioned homosexuality, he would not have been fired.
    What if he had someone under his command who was openly cheating on a spouse? It seems that Mr. Cochran's book also made mention of adultery along with homosexuality and quite a few other forms of sexual immorality. Would an adulterer among his subordinates have had valid cause to demand him to be fired, for having expressed disapproval of adultery?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We don't agree with public figures in positions of authority pushing their religion on subordinates.
    Do you have evidence that that is what he was doing here?

Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •