Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #141
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The claim to which I was responding is that for evil perverts to work under a leader who they know holds to decent moral standards would create a hostile environment for the perverts, and that their discomfort with such a leader is an excuse to fire that leader.

    If this is a valid argument, then I was asking if the converse would be true. Decent people with good moral standards, having to work under a leader that they know is a sick pervert; should their potential discomfort with such a situation be an equally valid reason to fire that leader?
    Restating the question trying to get a rise out of me because you called sick pervert doesnt change my answer. The existance of differeing views does not cause the hostile work enviroment; it is the stateing of those views by a supervisor that does. I would also say that the supervisor handing out literature saying why Christianity is wrong about homosexuality would be inapropriate as well.

  2. #142
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    One of the most bizarre creations of this nation's political wrong wing is the idea that the First Amendment allows, and even requires, the exact sort of suppression and censorship of religious beliefs that it was specifically intended to prohibit.
    Except that did not happen, his beliefs are not censored. The book is still around and so is his ability to write / speak more about it. He willingly signed an agreement with the city and it looks like he broke the agreement.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I've read a few links on this story and I think the termination of him was way out of line. I don't agree with anything he said or thinks, as I'm pro-gay rights and not the least bit religious personally, but I am failing to see where this is a fireable offense. I have subordinates who I happen to know voted as I did in the last elections (I never ask, they bring it up with me). I would without hesitation share a cartoon or funny slogan or even an attack article with them during the election cycle. It seems that I could get fired for doing that even though they engaged me and I know for a fact that they shared my beliefs. I'm just a little less inclined to scream for and applaud someone's livelihood getting taken away from them this readily. JMO.
    Anti-political lean is not analogous to anti-sexual orientation. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #144
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    One of the most bizarre creations of this nation's political wrong wing is the idea that the First Amendment allows, and even requires, the exact sort of suppression and censorship of religious beliefs that it was specifically intended to prohibit.
    An employer can give such stipulations if it wants and failure to adhere to said policies will get you fired... if a person does not like that they are free to get a job at a Hate Organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #145
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You think the right of Govt. officials to promote their religious views is in the 1st amendment? Quite the opposite.
    The First Amendment makes no distinction on who is allowed what rights on the basis of who their employers are.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #146
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,967
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    “Truth is ‘hate’ to those who hate the truth.”
    "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Everyone has the same rights to hold whatever beliefs and opinions they will, and to appropriately express these beliefs.
    You avoided the question. Do you believe the Muslim Police Commissioner has the same right to spread his hate speech among his employees as the Christian Fire Chief?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    It's funny how those of you on the far wrong, used to portray yourselves as the greatest champions of free speech, when the “free speech” in question consisted of obscenity, pornography, and other degrading, harmful speech; but when someone wants to express genuine opinions, in support of decent moral standards, your reaction is to call him “hateful” and call for him to be censored.
    It's funny how you can't argue against my position and resort to building yourself a sturdy straw man to beat up on. What the Police Chief did was spread hate speech through his work place through a book he wrote. (A book he allegedly handed out to coworkers.) You can cry "Free speech" all you like but don't be surprised that this book and its author has gotten the backlash it has gotten from the rest of the country. If he wants to spread his hate filled rantings about homosexuals he can do so without using his rank and status to push his Religious Dogma, and now thanks to his termination he can do that.

    But while we're at it, I am very much interested in how you broad stroke the entire LGBT community as evil and vile. Do Gay Firemen and women go to hell for simply being gay, or do they get a free pass because they are willing to put their asses on the line to save people regardless of their skin, creed, religious belieffs, etc?

  7. #147
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Just as you would be ok with radical Islam handing out Islamic garbage.
    Actually I am against it no matter the politics or religion espoused. Consistency NP, it is something you should try.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #148
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Keep saying that as they destroy our country.
    I am one of "they" though, so it is all good to me.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #149
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    based on the information within the linked cite, this appears to be an obvious instance of termination without justifiable cause
    that he is/was the fire chief does not deprive him of the right to free speech
    i do not agree with much of what he wrote, but he is entitled to say/print/publish/sing his personal views, no matter that those views might depart from mainstream beliefs
    what did he do in his professional capacity which deserved termination?
    nothing that i have read would rise to that level
    and if he did not commit a terminal offense then he should not be canned


    did y'all know that Obama's book, the audacity of hope was inspired by one of rev jeremiah wright's sermons? but rev wright also spoke this to his congregation, the one that included Obama:
    We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye... and now we are indignant, because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought back into our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost.
    Violence begets violence. Hatred begets hatred. And terrorism begets terrorism. A white ambassador said that, y'all. Not a black militant. Not a reverend who preaches about racism. An ambassador whose eyes are wide open and who is trying to get us to wake up and move away from this dangerous precipice upon which we are now poised. The ambassador said the people that we have wounded don't have the military capability we have. But they do have individuals who are willing to die and take thousands with them. And we need to come to grips with that.
    while i agree with wright in that regard, there were many who were incensed that Obama allowed himself to be subjected to such sermons
    and he then cowardly distanced himself from the minister who married him and baptised his children
    now, how many of you who believe the fire chief deserved to be fired for his (wrongheaded) views believe it was OK for Obama to remain present when such (legitimate) pronouncements by his pastor were being freely preached?

    free speech is precious
    we should not be firing people because they engage in free speech
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #150
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    There is no constitutional right to discriminate.
    That would be freedom of association, very strongly implied in the First Amendment, right along with the explicitly-affirmed freedoms of speech, the press, and religion.

    In any event, expressing opinions that certain blatantly immoral and perverted practices are immoral and perverted does not constitute discrimination. Discrimination would only apply if it could be shown that as a supervisor, he treated underlings more or less favorably on the basis of criteria that did not justify such treatment. Expressing an opinion doesn't meet this definition.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •