Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #131
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I cant that is why I am saying if as opposed to just stating he did it. If he didnt do it then he did nothing wrong.
    I've read a few links on this story and I think the termination of him was way out of line. I don't agree with anything he said or thinks, as I'm pro-gay rights and not the least bit religious personally, but I am failing to see where this is a fireable offense. I have subordinates who I happen to know voted as I did in the last elections (I never ask, they bring it up with me). I would without hesitation share a cartoon or funny slogan or even an attack article with them during the election cycle. It seems that I could get fired for doing that even though they engaged me and I know for a fact that they shared my beliefs. I'm just a little less inclined to scream for and applaud someone's livelihood getting taken away from them this readily. JMO.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #132
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    If a fire chief who is a homosexual hits on his subordinates or continuously talks about his sex life then yes it would be inapropriate [sic].

    Your point does make me start to think about if the violation rose to the level of fireing [sic] though. I hadnt [sic] considered that before and I dont [sic] think it does, in my opinion.
    The claim to which I was responding is that for evil perverts to work under a leader who they know holds to decent moral standards would create a hostile environment for the perverts, and that their discomfort with such a leader is an excuse to fire that leader.

    If this is a valid argument, then I was asking if the converse would be true. Decent people with good moral standards, having to work under a leader that they know is a sick pervert; should their potential discomfort with such a situation be an equally valid reason to fire that leader?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #133
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How can an inanimate object act in a human way? It can't. It can offer a discriminatory point of view, or carry a discriminatory message, but it can't discriminate itself.
    Your support would then be just as strong if Cochran had written a book on how to seduce 18 year old girls for fun? What if he had written a book about the joys of swinging and had handed the books out to female staff? You see where I am going.

    I'm not sure what the abuse of authority was. Maybe we have different definitions of that. To me it's using your power to take advantage of someone or abuse someone. Did the handful of people he gave that book to say he abused them?
    People who in some form or fashion represent a minority know all too well that power and authority can be used to abuse them. It is why they often don't feel comfortable reporting it or complaining or rocking the boat. As a white, straight, non-Christian, male who has been in a position of authority over supervisors and their employees I have seen and heard at levels and from people in positions that stunned me in a few instances.

    Just because someone is a Christian or a Hindu or a Buddhist do not make the mistake of assuming that that person would not abuse their authority over others who are do not hold the same religious beliefs.

    If I write a book on animal rights, and it gets published, and I send a free copy to the people who work for me, am I abusing my power?
    I don't know that nations go to war, that millions of people throughout history harm or kill or murder over animal rights.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #134
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This is outrageous and another affront to Christianity. So very sad.


    Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith | Fox News
    Sorry for the dupe.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #135
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    So if this is the case. Would you be okay with your local Police Department commissioner saying the same hate-filled rhetoric? The only exception to the Atlanta Fire Chief is that the Commissioner is a devout Muslim? Does the Muslim Police Commissioner have the same rights as the Christian Fire Chief?
    “Truth is ‘hate’ to those who hate the truth.”

    Everyone has the same rights to hold whatever beliefs and opinions they will, and to appropriately express these beliefs.

    It's funny how those of you on the far wrong, used to portray yourselves as the greatest champions of free speech, when the “free speech” in question consisted of obscenity, pornography, and other degrading, harmful speech; but when someone wants to express genuine opinions, in support of decent moral standards, your reaction is to call him “hateful” and call for him to be censored.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    "your boss can fire you at any time"
    True, as most states in the nation have an 'at will' employment policy. You work there at your will, and at the boss' will. Either can terminate employment at a moment's notice. It's not related to constitutional rights, as far as I understand.
    Government jobs are a little different. Dismissing people there may raise constitutional issues--in particular, procedural due process under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. The First Amendment freedoms of speech and religion may also be involved. The notion that the Establishment Clause was meant to prevent a local government official from bringing some pamphlets from his church to work, for anyone who was interested, because one sentence in the pamphlet mildly expressed the church's disapproval of buggery, is laughable. THAT constitutes impermissible promotion of a religious view by the state? Give me a G-- damned break. The Constitution does not require everyone to walk on eggshells. What's next--firing a cop for telling a blonde joke in the station house because blonde dispatcher Susie happened to overhear it, and being a delicate little flower, felt all icky and broke into tears?

  7. #137
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Moderator's Warning:
    Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay ViewsDupe threads merged
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #138
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you would be ok with a state employee handing out anti-Christian books to his employees? I bet not...
    Just as you would be ok with radical Islam handing out Islamic garbage.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #139
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    [Homosexual Agenda strikes again
    Nope. Common sense and decency WINS again.

    He is a fire fighter. Shut up with religion and hate speech and put out a fire. ****ing asshole. (the chief)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #140
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Government jobs are a little different. Dismissing people there may raise constitutional issues--in particular, procedural due process under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. The First Amendment freedoms of speech and religion may also be involved. The notion that the Establishment Clause was meant to prevent a local government official from bringing some pamphlets from his church to work, for anyone who was interested, because one sentence in the pamphlet mildly expressed the church's disapproval of buggery, is laughable. THAT constitutes impermissible promotion of a religious view by the state? Give me a G-- damned break. The Constitution does not require everyone to walk on eggshells. What's next--firing a cop for telling a blonde joke in the station house because blonde dispatcher Susie happened to overhear it, and being a delicate little flower, felt all icky and broke into tears?
    One of the most bizarre creations of this nation's political wrong wing is the idea that the First Amendment allows, and even requires, the exact sort of suppression and censorship of religious beliefs that it was specifically intended to prohibit.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •