Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #121
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    If he distributed the book in a place and manner that was no way connected to his job, in a venue that did not require or imply compulsory attendance by any employee, I don't have a problem with that. If he did not speak publicly even in church(es) about his book or religion while in uniform, I don't have a problem with that.
    Of course you wouldn't have a problem with it if he spoke publicly in church about his book while not in uniform. I have no idea what that meant. And unless someone can demonstrate that he forced his book and/or religion on his subordinates against their will while in uniform, or can show that he in any way discriminated against people in that department, I can't support the idea of terminating him even though I personally find what he said reprehensible.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #122
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Problem is, NP, that he wrote (according to your reference):

    “Uncleanness – whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

    “Naked men refuse to give in, so they pursue sexual fulfillment through multiple partners, with the opposite sex, the same sex, and sex outside of marriage and many other vile, vulgar and inappropriate ways which defile their body – temple and dishonor God.”


    So this means that if there's an LGBT firefighter working underneath him, that firefighter would know that his boss thinks that he or she - as an LGBT - is right down there with pederasty, bestiality, et al. And you would know down deep in your gut what that means for your chances for advancement..
    If there was a fire chief who was a homosexual pervert, would you agree that having such a leader would similarly impose a hostile environment on any underlings who happened to adhere to any kind of moral standards, to the degree that their discomfort would constitute a legitimate reason for firing that leader?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #123
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Because you mentioned a number of people in your post. "Only a few."

    The number of times he did it doesn't matter. Who he did it to doesn't matter. He's a supervisor and a public servant, it's not appropriate.
    You focused on the wrong part of my post, but that's okay. We disagree.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #124
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    He belongs to a church that publicly expresses anti-gay sentiment. I wonder why that didn't make the work environment hostile.
    If he talked about what his church says to subordinates then it would but if not then what he does outside of work is no ones business. Handing the books out to subordinates is the issue I have with the whole thing.

  5. #125
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    If he talked about what his church says to subordinates then it would but if not then what he does outside of work is no ones business. Handing the books out to subordinates is the issue I have with the whole thing.
    Can you show me where it says that he was handing out these books to subordinates while they were at work?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #126
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Great job of spinning, this is about WAY more than simply "his Christian faith."
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #127
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    If there was a fire chief who was a homosexual pervert, would you agree that having such a leader would similarly impose a hostile environment on any underlings who happened to adhere to any kind of moral standards, to the degree that their discomfort would constitute a legitimate reason for firing that leader?
    If a fire chief who is a homosexual hits on his subordinates or continuously talks about his sex life then yes it would be inapropriate.

    Your point does make me start to think about if the violation rose to the level of fireing though. I hadnt considered that before and I dont think it does, in my opinion.

  8. #128
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Harassing his subordinates out of work makes it worse.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #129
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Can you show me where it says that he was handing out these books to subordinates while they were at work?
    I cant that is why I am saying if as opposed to just stating he did it. If he didnt do it then he did nothing wrong.

  10. #130
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Nothing wrong with what he said, Homosexuality is an evil perversion , on the same level as the others that he also mentioned. And whether you agree with this or not, he has as much right to say so as the sickest of perverts have to say otherwise.
    So if this is the case. Would you be okay with your local Police Department commissioner saying the same hate-filled rhetoric? The only exception to the Atlanta Fire Chief is that the Commissioner is a devout Muslim? Does the Muslim Police Commissioner have the same rights as the Christian Fire Chief?

Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •