Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 712

Thread: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

  1. #91
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    Fox News once again spins the story to fit their agenda of victimization. Not only did the Fire Chief in question hand this book out to his employees, the book itself equated homosexuality to pederasty and bestiality. Are you okay with a public official publishing and handing out a book with clear hateful remarks about a group of people? Either way, I won't lose any sleep over this guy.
    If he handed it out at work then that is a different story. Supervisors (especially in government jobs) shouldnt hand out religious material of any kind at their jobs.

  2. #92
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    You mean other than passing out books that discriminate?
    Can a book discriminate? I don't think it can. It's an inanimate object.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #93
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Why should someone lose their job over that? Would you support his firing if he passed out pro-gay marriage leaflets too? Or books by Richard Dawkins? Why are liberals so intolerant?
    As fire chief, Cochran crossed the line when he handed out the book to subordinates at work. His religious view - especially as a chief - are not to be imposed on the people who report to him. He was wrong to hand out religious material at work. NO CAN DO.

    I have no truck with someone in his position writing the book or any book. He has a right to do that. If, however, he presents his views and his book publicly in uniform at his church or other churches or groups he is in essence representing the city. If he hands out religious books at work or while in uniform he is representing the city. The City of Atlanta does not have any official religion.

    Further, the issue is a human resource matter and at this point the details are probably not yet available. At this point the mayor would likely be under legal advisement to discuss the matter in general terms. That is standard procedure.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #94
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Can a book discriminate? I don't think it can. It's an inanimate object.
    Yes, books can discriminate. More to the point power and authority can discriminate and Cochran's alleged behavior represents an abuse of authority.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  5. #95
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Can someone point out in the many links on this story from all media outlets where exactly this man was:

    Forcing religion on anyone?
    Advocating points of view while on the clock?
    Discriminating as the fire chief against anyone?

    I'm all for gay rights but I can't see anywhere in this link or others that he did something that warranted him being fired. I have employees who work for me. From everything I read he only gave less than 5 copies of this book to co-workers, and it doesn't say he gave them to anyone while he was "on the clock" and it also says he gave them to these people who are people with whom he has a relationship based on Christianity.

    I disagree with this man's message, but this is a violation of his First Amendment rights as far as I can see, and it certainly doesn't warrant his job termination. Sorry.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #96
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Yes, books can discriminate. More to the point power and authority can discriminate and Cochran's alleged behavior represents an abuse of authority.
    How can an inanimate object act in a human way? It can't. It can offer a discriminatory point of view, or carry a discriminatory message, but it can't discriminate itself.

    I'm not sure what the abuse of authority was. Maybe we have different definitions of that. To me it's using your power to take advantage of someone or abuse someone. Did the handful of people he gave that book to say he abused them?

    If I write a book on animal rights, and it gets published, and I send a free copy to the people who work for me, am I abusing my power?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #97
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This is outrageous and another affront to Christianity. So very sad.


    Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith | Fox News
    So you would be ok with a state employee handing out anti-Christian books to his employees? I bet not...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #98
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,956
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you would be ok with a state employee handing out anti-Christian books to his employees? I bet not...
    Or what if a State Employee handing out a Koran? Imagine the outrage.

  9. #99
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you would be ok with a state employee handing out anti-Christian books to his employees? I bet not...
    Anti-Christian books that the state employee wrote himself, and handed out to only a few people who he knew or believed shared the same views as he did? Why would that be a bad thing?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #100
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,160

    Re: Atlanta Ousts Fire Chief Who Has Antigay Views

    This ludicrous "How can an inanimate object do anything" question is itself inane. mate.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •