Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 63 of 63

Thread: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

  1. #61
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    We know lots of the variables. You look silly.

    Like you would know more than the scientists who study the universe.
    But there is an important variable that is missing, which is the likelihood of life arising on a given planet. Specifically, in the Drake Equation, this variable is "the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point." It is impossible to say what sort of odds there are that life will develop anywhere, no matter how many planets there are, until we know the odds of life developing. This is an exceedingly simple concept, but its distasteful consequences seem to be frequently ignored by sci-fi aficionados.

    I like Star Trek as much as the next guy, but I am not going to let that overwhelm my commitment to logic and sound reasoning.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    But there is an important variable that is missing, which is the likelihood of life arising on a given planet. Specifically, in the Drake Equation, this variable is "the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point." It is impossible to say what sort of odds there are that life will develop anywhere, no matter how many planets there are, until we know the odds of life developing. This is an exceedingly simple concept, but its distasteful consequences seem to be frequently ignored by sci-fi aficionados.

    I like Star Trek as much as the next guy, but I am not going to let that overwhelm my commitment to logic and sound reasoning.
    You have not put forth anything that demonstrates a grasp of logic or sound reasoning more than myself and certainly not the reputable scientists that have considered it and believe it is a definite possibility.

    You have only shown a close-minded, rather desperate grasp onto one theory. I prefer less limited thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You have not put forth anything that demonstrates a grasp of logic or sound reasoning more than myself and certainly not the reputable scientists that have considered it and believe it is a definite possibility.

    You have only shown a close-minded, rather desperate grasp onto one theory. I prefer less limited thinking.
    You're really describing yourself. I have been very clear and cogent, and have soundly made my point, whereas your counter-arguments have been uniformly fallacious.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •