Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    I'm sticking with you on this one. If anyone knows about completely unsupported gibberish it's you.
    Are you scared of robots ending the human race? I'm not.

  2. #52
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Are you scared of robots ending the human race? I'm not.
    Honestly, it's not something I've ever thought about and probably never will. If it happens it won't be tomorrow. But, if we all have to continue to try to talk to computers when we call damn near any company from insurance to cable to pharmacies to county pet licensing offices I would imagine we will kill all the robots before the feckers have the ability to take over.

    How many times a week do each of us play "Guess why you called" with voice recognition software options?

    There is a point, and we will get there, where computer technology will be more of a pain in the ass to live with than without. It'll happen before the robots take over. In many ways, even now, computers make people less productive. I'm no luddite but I have lived in a world with much less computer technology than we have now and it was in retrospect a satisfying life in many ways.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #53
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking about his ideas on how the world will end, which is completely unsupported gibberish.

    Run! The robots are coming!
    I'm sorry, I cant imagine you properly understanding legitimate theories and ideas proposed by Hawking based on what I've seen of your grasp of other realities here on Earth, including history. You just lack credibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sorry, I cant imagine you properly understanding legitimate theories and ideas proposed by Hawking based on what I've seen of your grasp of other realities here on Earth, including history. You just lack credibility.
    Sure, sure, it's nice to know you have nothing to say.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sure, sure, it's nice to know you have nothing to say.
    It's a joke to see you knocking the smartest guy on the planet. Not much more to say than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's laughable that you think your opinion is more credible than the top scientists on the planet, including Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan (deceased). Because those people and organizations provided funding based on those scientific facts, opinions, and statistics.
    People get so upset when it is pointed out to them that their fantasies are just fantasies without any basis in face The fact is that we don't have any basis for any statement as to the likelihood of alien life. This is just a fact, it's not up for argument.

  7. #57
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    WASHINGTON (AP) Earth has a few more near-twin planets outside our solar system, tantalizing possibilities in the search for extraterrestrial life.Astronomers announced Tuesday that depending on definitions, they have confirmed three or four more planets that are about the same size as Earth and are in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold "Goldilocks Zone" for liquid water to form.
    These planets are likely to be rocky like Earth, and not gas giants or ice worlds. They get about the same heat from their star as we get from the sun, according to the latest results from NASA's planet hunting Kepler telescope.

    Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins
    Yeah, now send us more money!

  8. #58
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    People get so upset when it is pointed out to them that their fantasies are just fantasies without any basis in face The fact is that we don't have any basis for any statement as to the likelihood of alien life. This is just a fact, it's not up for argument.
    Not too familiar with statistics and scientific method are you? It's the same sort of theorization that leads to determining the likelihood of cancer in certain populations, for example.

    LOL at what is or is not 'up for argument.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Not too familiar with statistics and scientific method are you?

    LOL at what is or is not 'up for argument.'
    The Drake Equation is really just simple algebra. We can't determine the likelihood of alien life unit we know the variables.

    This response I am getting here is a great example of how emotional and irrational a person can get when it gets pointed out to them that their cherished fantasies are nothing more than fantasies. People love aliens, what can I say. "Lursa" is the name of one of the Klingon characters from Star Trek, if I recall correctly. Science fiction fandom is a powerful motivator for people.

    So I can see how a sci-fi fan might need to think that alien life must be out there. It's a great form of escapism from the actual world.

    Bottom line, though, is that you can't say that a large number of planets means there must be alien life on one of them until you know the likelihood of life developing on a given world, which we don't.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    The Drake Equation is really just simple algebra. We can't determine the likelihood of alien life unit we know the variables.

    This response I am getting here is a great example of how emotional and irrational a person can get when it gets pointed out to them that their cherished fantasies are nothing more than fantasies. People love aliens, what can I say. "Lursa" is the name of one of the Klingon characters from Star Trek, if I recall correctly. Science fiction fandom is a powerful motivator for people.

    So I can see how a sci-fi fan might need to think that alien life must be out there. It's a great form of escapism from the actual world.

    Bottom line, though, is that you can't say that a large number of planets means there must be alien life on one of them until you know the likelihood of life developing on a given world, which we don't.
    We know lots of the variables. You look silly.

    Like you would know more than the scientists who study the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •