Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

  1. #41
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,433

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Strange that astronomers are fired up about looking for life around the galaxy. There is plenty of it around here.
    Because they are hoping for intelligent life.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #42
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And yet many scientists do indeed believe it.
    Yeah. That's pretty stupid of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And the funding for SETI is a pretty good indication that there's a solid foundation for their belief. (And SETI is a search for intelligent life, not just life.)
    No, that's a fallacious line of reasoning called argument by appeal to authority.

  3. #43
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    What makes you think they'd be any better?
    They might not be necessarily... but since that's unknown, I'm just judging my own species. We aren't mature enough.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    They might not be necessarily... but since that's unknown, I'm just judging my own species. We aren't mature enough.
    no some us are, why should those who are not be the ones to keep us trapped on this planet?

  5. #45
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    no some us are, why should those who are not be the ones to keep us trapped on this planet?
    Because we are a complex interdependent species, not just with members of our same species, but of the entire biosphere of this planet. If we're ****ing things up here we will definitely transplant our problems somewhere else.

    And btw, people who claim they are the most mature usually aren't.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Yeah. That's pretty stupid of them.



    No, that's a fallacious line of reasoning called argument by appeal to authority.
    It's laughable that you think your opinion is more credible than the top scientists on the planet, including Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan (deceased). Because those people and organizations provided funding based on those scientific facts, opinions, and statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's laughable that you think your opinion is more credible than the top scientists on the planet, including Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan (deceased). Because those people and organizations provided funding based on those scientific facts, opinions, and statistics.
    Stephen Hawkings is an attention whore that enjoys saying outrageous **** for attention.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Stephen Hawkings is an attention whore that enjoys saying outrageous **** for attention.
    Yeah. One misunderstood comment about Jesus and everybody gets their panties in a bunch. Boo hoo hoo if you werent bright enough to understand it.

    His reputation and research isnt based on public media....lol you've just been reading what little pap you thought you could understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yeah. One misunderstood comment about Jesus and everybody gets their panties in a bunch. Boo hoo hoo if you werent bright enough to understand it.

    His reputation and research isnt based on public media....lol you've just been reading what little pap you thought you could understand.
    I don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking about his ideas on how the world will end, which is completely unsupported gibberish.

    Run! The robots are coming!

  10. #50
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking about his ideas on how the world will end, which is completely unsupported gibberish.

    Run! The robots are coming!
    I'm sticking with you on this one. If anyone knows about completely unsupported gibberish it's you.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •