Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Given our lingering colonial values, I hope we don't find ET anytime soon, unless they are equal to or greater than us. Humans are not mature enough as a species to treat other life with respect and care.



    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #22
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Are they like Mars or Venus?? Do they have a large moon to stabilize their atmosphere?? Does their solar system have enough gas giants to protect them from too many comets/asteroid impacts while allowing enough for water to accumulate??
    I'll go check. Be right back.

  3. #23
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Given our lingering colonial values, I hope we don't find ET anytime soon, unless they are equal to or greater than us. Humans are not mature enough as a species to treat other life with respect and care.
    And keep in mind what Stephen Hawking says when a more advanced culture comes calling. Ask the Native Americans what they think of Manifest Destiny.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I wonder what will happen when we eventually bump into another alien civilization. We're getting closer and closer every year to finding a planet with intelligent life on it. What happens when we do find them or they find us? It would put a lot of religions under scrutiny if they've never heard of any earthly gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Still no reason to believe life exists there.



    I don't think there's any reason to laugh at him for it, but you're right, Paleocon, that there is absolutely no reason to think that there is any other life in the universe. It is unscientific and purely wishful thinking.

    It is fallacious reasoning to think that vast number of planets means there is a high likelihood that one of them contains life, when we have no idea what the likelihood is that abiogenesis might occur on a given planet. It is equally possible that life on Earth is unique.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to laugh at him for it, but you're right, Paleocon, that there is absolutely no reason to think that there is any other life in the universe. It is unscientific and purely wishful thinking.

    It is fallacious reasoning to think that vast number of planets means there is a high likelihood that one of them contains life, when we have no idea what the likelihood is that abiogenesis might occur on a given planet. It is equally possible that life on Earth is unique.
    Odds say otherwise. Trillions of stars, billions of planets, the conditions for life are more than likely to occur on more than one little insignificant planet.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I wonder what will happen when we eventually bump into another alien civilization. We're getting closer and closer every year to finding a planet with intelligent life on it. What happens when we do find them or they find us? It would put a lot of religions under scrutiny if they've never heard of any earthly gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Odds say otherwise. Trillions of stars, billions of planets, the conditions for life are more than likely to occur on more than one little insignificant planet.
    That's the common misunderstanding that I'm talking about. There are billions of planets, but nobody knows how abiogenesis happened, but we have no reason that there is any likelihood that the chances of abiogenesis happening.

    The chances of abiogensis taking place on a given planet may be one in a million, or it may be one in a quadrillion. We just don't know.

    So it is highly unscientific and faulty reasoning to say, "Oh, there's a lot of planets, so it is highly likely some of them have life."

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    That's the common misunderstanding that I'm talking about. There are billions of planets, but nobody knows how abiogenesis happened, but we have no reason that there is any likelihood that the chances of abiogenesis happening.

    The chances of abiogensis taking place on a given planet may be one in a million, or it may be one in a quadrillion. We just don't know.

    So it is highly unscientific and faulty reasoning to say, "Oh, there's a lot of planets, so it is highly likely some of them have life."


    Panspermia.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #28
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Panspermia.
    Funny, I was just thinking that. If we do find extraterrestrial life, and especially if it's in the solar system, panspermia is probably the more likely explanation for it than a second instance of abiogenesis.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    As long as they have wifi, I'll pack my bags.
    I will pay for cab fare.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Astronomers to Earth: You've got some newly found near-twins

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    That's the common misunderstanding that I'm talking about. There are billions of planets, but nobody knows how abiogenesis happened, but we have no reason that there is any likelihood that the chances of abiogenesis happening.

    The chances of abiogensis taking place on a given planet may be one in a million, or it may be one in a quadrillion. We just don't know.

    So it is highly unscientific and faulty reasoning to say, "Oh, there's a lot of planets, so it is highly likely some of them have life."
    And yet many scientists do indeed believe it. And the funding for SETI is a pretty good indication that there's a solid foundation for their belief. (And SETI is a search for intelligent life, not just life.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •