Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 284

Thread: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

  1. #71
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Lots of things. But to just throw your hands up and call all "contracts, laws, protections" a means of "control" is just absurd.
    Ok, show me where government involvement in marriage is not about control.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....it would easily win on a national ballot. That aside, civil rights should never be put to a "popular vote"....this is one of the main reasons we have a Constitution.
    Please tell me how this is a "civil right". Just because you wanna, don't make it a right.

  3. #73
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'll be honest that I used to think this pretty much.

    But I do think that it's in society's best interests to have some contract that does cover all that marriage does for the protection of children, assets, inheritance, and many of the other things included in the marriage contract. With that said, it does not necessarily follow that the govt (state or fed) must offer benefits and tax options based on that contract.

    People in the US are free to live together in any combinations they choose. If they want the legal benefits and privileges that come with marriage then they can (and should be allowed to) marry.

    However I wouldnt care if people 'married' without a marriage license. That is a personal thing for every single couple. Perhaps all should just have to get the legal recognition thru the govt if that is what they desire? I dont care what you call it. Half of the objections to gay marriage is the use of the word 'marriage.' Stupid IMO.
    Just not sure I can go along with that under existing conditions where government gets to define and license marriage in a manner they want. That is how we got into this mess of marriage equality by government saying what does and does not qualify. Now I have little choice but to support marriage equality, but I'd rather just see government out of the mix entirely. It comes with too much control.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  4. #74
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Please tell me how this is a "civil right". Just because you wanna, don't make it a right.
    it is in fact a civil rights issue, the many court cases with judges rulings point that out oh wait i know its a conspiracy, a conspiracy with over like 40 judges now
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #75
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    , but I'd rather just see government out of the mix entirely.
    and how would you do that? what system would you put in place to do all the things a marriage contract does and do it without involving government?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    it is in fact a civil rights issue, the many court cases with judges rulings point that out oh wait i know its a conspiracy, a conspiracy with over like 40 judges now
    LOL, 40 judges appointed by whom and looking to extend their career more than hold up anything that looks like a Christian value.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You can have any view you want but forcing them on others is intolerant by definition. What views am I forcing on you?
    that everyone that doesn't agree with you is a bigot. you either agree with you or you are wrong.
    that is the view you are forcing on people whether you realize it or not.

    the view of I'm right and if you don't agree with my opinion then I will just yell and call you names as a point to try and demean you in front of other people.
    of course for you it went further than calling names and wished for people to die.

    yet you force no view on anyone evidently you don't realize what you do.

  8. #78
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    1.)LOL, 40 judges appointed by whom and looking to extend their career
    2.) more than hold up anything that looks like a Christian value.

    translation: you post was factually wrong and have nothing that support its claim
    1.) and there it is CONSPIRACY THEORY
    2.) christian values dont matter to peoples rights but thanks for pointing out that your views dont care about the constitution or peoples rights.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Marriage certainly does have a definition. It is a union between 2 people that love one another. Oh the horror.
    wait I thought you were for equal rights which is what polygamists will argue equal rights.
    now you are setting your own definitions of marriage why are you being so bigoted?

    (now we will see how you like having your own argument used against you).

  10. #80
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    wait I thought you were for equal rights which is what polygamists will argue equal rights.
    now you are setting your own definitions of marriage why are you being so bigoted?

    (now we will see how you like having your own argument used against you).
    thanks for proving to everybody how severely uneducated you are about this particular issue
    the argument you are trying to use is not the argument for gay marriage . . . your analogy and post completely fails and is not analogous.
    But for the record i completely support polygamist if they want to fight for a new right to marry. As long as it follows the current rules, consenting adults. They only have one hurdle and its probably easily fixed.

    theres no precedence set for the base contract. Like for example if its 1 woman and 3 men what happens if one of the men die? where do the kids and property go? how is it divided etc etc but the easy solution is a basic contract and then the rest is decided by the parties involved
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •