Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 284

Thread: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

  1. #201
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Gays have equal protections. Marriage is not a protection.
    Nope.....sorry.....try again. You are dead wrong and the courts are ruling against you right and left. Get used to it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #202
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    But there is no reason to be hateful about the push for change, I suspect that is the underline point being made. We tend to make matters like this far worse with militant attitudes about one another. Change in this regard is supposed to be about recognition of the minority no longer being subjected to the will of the majority using the government as the control mechanism. We can easily ruin that and get quite a backlash.
    I'm not hateful, but I'm not going to sit here and coddle people who want to use government force to push their religion on other people. This is a basic human rights issue. I talk to these bigots the same way I'd talk to someone who thinks that black people shouldn't have rights. These bigots deserve absolutely nothing less than derision and spite. I absolutely could not give less of a flying **** what their opinion is. They're entitled to have it, but they aren't entitled to violate another sovereign human being's rights over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Gays have equal protections. Marriage is not a protection.
    You're welcome to your bigoted opinion, but the supreme court has ruled 13 times that marriage is a fundamental human right. I'm not sure who told you that you do, but you don't have a right to force your religion on other people. Learning to respect the rights of others would be the christian thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,933

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    A threat can always be tangible theoretically - this is not philosophy class - actual involvement only occurrs a I already stated now twice - your comments do not change that fact. Therefore, government is not involved unless an actual enforcement dispute is made by one or the other parties of the contract. Period.
    Nope. Again: a contract only works because there is the threat of enforcement. If that is not present, there is no need for the contract, now is there? A contract without the ability to enforce it is a checklist. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #204
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Nope. Again: a contract only works because there is the threat of enforcement. If that is not present, there is no need for the contract, now is there? A contract without the ability to enforce it is a checklist. Period.
    You continue to be incorrect but no amount of facts I can provide seem to make a difference. Have a nice day.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #205
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Nope. Again: a contract only works because there is the threat of enforcement. If that is not present, there is no need for the contract, now is there? A contract without the ability to enforce it is a checklist. Period.
    100% correct
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #206
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,933

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You continue to be incorrect but no amount of facts I can provide seem to make a difference. Have a nice day.
    LOL

    You are still wrong. Just like there's no reason to have laws unless there is a penalty or consequence. Are you saying that the govt is not involved in laws either unless they are broken?

    Sorry, laws hold little power unless there is a govt entity to back up enforcement of consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #207
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    LOL

    You are still wrong.
    LOL Of course you'd say that.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #208
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,933

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    LOL Of course you'd say that.
    And of course you'd leave out the pertinent example where I demonstrated that you were wrong.

    That's pretty telling in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #209
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Government is needed - the issue is how much and where should government exist.
    And most people want the government involved in marriage which is why most people get married legally before they die at least once (even if that isn't always successful) and the majority of those who aren't married would like to eventually be married.

    I have yet to see any legitimate argument on how privatizing marriage, completely removing government recognition in any way benefits the majority of couples at all, or even society.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #210
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And most people want the government involved in marriage which is why most people get married legally before they die at least once (even if that isn't always successful) and the majority of those who aren't married would like to eventually be married.

    I have yet to see any legitimate argument on how privatizing marriage, completely removing government recognition in any way benefits the majority of couples at all, or even society.
    Most people can't find Spain on a map either - so a popularity contest really isn't a good measure or good argument. I admit, as long as I've been alive government has been in the marriage business but personally, I see it as a money making function. They really don't have to be in it - but it's a nice hook for them to keep track of people, things, etc. I can go either way on it and my tendency would be the status quo but if there's an opportunity to privatize and cut government down to size, I usually take a good hard look at it and try to see if it would work. I think it could work just as well or better than it does now as would most of government functions with a few exceptions.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •