Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 284

Thread: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

  1. #191
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Because I have caused so much difficulty and fun for this thread, and others have already mentioned it... why should polygamy between consenting adults be outlawed? Far as I am concerned the "consenting adults" part means the government should have no say so in the boundaries of personal relationships.
    I don't know. Should it? Not at all relevant to the question of whether same-sex marriage should be outlawed, which is what this topic is about.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #192
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That's not what it means. The govt is involved *because* the threat of them enforcing consequences exists. That threat is tangible and is present in every contract.

    A contract would not be necessary otherwise. There would just be big lists of stuff for people to remember since it was a 'given' that they'd be fulfilled.
    A threat can always be tangible theoretically - this is not philosophy class - actual involvement only occurrs a I already stated now twice - your comments do not change that fact. Therefore, government is not involved unless an actual enforcement dispute is made by one or the other parties of the contract. Period.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #193
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    A threat can always be tangible theoretically - this is not philosophy class - actual involvement only occurrs a I already stated now twice - your comments do not change that fact. Therefore, government is not involved unless an actual enforcement dispute is made by one or the other parties of the contract. Period.
    Marriage contracts involve no government force unless a dispute arises. Yeah, I don't think that's ever been in question.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #194
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Marriage contracts involve no government force unless a dispute arises. Yeah, I don't think that's ever been in question.
    It's been difficult to get some posters to realize that.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #195
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It's been difficult to get some posters to realize that.
    Well, some people think the existence of a government is some horrible infringement of their liberty
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #196
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Well, some people think the existence of a government is some horrible infringement of their liberty
    Government is needed - the issue is how much and where should government exist.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #197
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Let me guess. Because he wanted to protect the "rights" of bigots and racists?
    No. He thought that in our system of government we should follow the law, the highest written form of which being the Constitution. Federalism is important. Goldwater was de-segregating in Arizona well before the national government decided to push that policy down.

  8. #198
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    This is not about state's rights, it's about basic human rights. The government can not play favorites, denying rights to "sinners" and granting rights to others. It is completely in the power of the federal government to step in. If Mississippi decided black people shouldn't vote, the feds would step in there as well.
    Amen you're right. Bring on the federalization of State decisions! No more shall States issue licenses! Hooray for Centralized Government!

  9. #199
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No. He thought that in our system of government we should follow the law, the highest written form of which being the Constitution. Federalism is important. Goldwater was de-segregating in Arizona well before the national government decided to push that policy down.
    So you think bigotry and racism are guaranteed under the Constitution? I'm afraid I have a higher opinion of this country and it's founders. They would be horrified to find that people like you are claiming that they wrote the document to protect discrimination by racist and bigots. That is disgusting and you should renounce your citizenship if you persist.

  10. #200
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: As gay marriages begin in Florida, Supreme Court is set to meet on issue

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So you think bigotry and racism are guaranteed under the Constitution?
    Yup. Not by a government, mind you. But individuals? Yeah. If you want to be idiotic and spiteful and full of bile, well, everyone has the right to distance themselves from you for that, and you have the right to be so. That's how come we allow people like Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farrakhan, or Al Sharpton to speak freely, it's why we allow groups like La Raza to push the racist platforms that they do. It's even whey we let people like you suggest that those with whom you disagree must over legal procedure and authorities must obviously be racist bigots, when that charge is so hilariously, blatantly, false. Because in this country, we do not limit your liberty merely because we find your exercise of it to be offensive.

    However, you are raising a strawman here. To argue that states have the right to decide to issue guidance to county clerks as pertaining to the issuance of licenses is an argument that is inherently bigoted is so an argument so devoid of self-awareness and critical thought that only a member of the modern authoritarian left could make it

    I'm afraid I have a higher opinion of this country and it's founders.
    Oh. Then you have no idea what you are talking about . This country and its' founders would have considered the centralization that we have now to be a ridiculous caricature of the anti-federalists worst claims. I would recommend to you the writings of Brutus and his respondents

    They would be horrified to find that people like you are claiming that they wrote the document to protect discrimination by racist and bigots. That is disgusting and you should renounce your citizenship if you persist.
    Thank you for demonstrating the tolerance of the modern left. Freedom is slavery. Enforced Unanimity is Diversity. Abuse of those who are different is tolerance.



    More generally, liberals have no more right to use the federal government to force states to expand their definition of marriage to include homosexual unions than conservatives have to use the federal government to force states to restrict their definition so as to exclude them.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-08-15 at 08:09 PM.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •