Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 148 of 148

Thread: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And tell us how the current president respects his opposition. Also, what is contemptible about speaking the truth?
    Well early in his first term, he did try to reach out to them. And I don't recall him ever making a remark, that implies that his opponents were good for nothing moochers.

    There is nothing contemptible about the truth. However, sometimes the motivation for speaking the truth can be contempt.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I didnt see any 'contempt'. He was just stating the facts and the difficulties he had to over come. His assessment was correct.

    Telling the truth is quite different from 'contempt', though of course it was being sold that way.
    Perhaps he was calling it as he saw it. Perhaps he was saying it to appeal to a certain class of voters to make them feel better than others so that he could get their votes. Politicians do that type of thing. Regardless, I think it is likely that he told a partial truth only, not the whole truth. But as I said before, I don't recall EXACTLY what he said, and I am not going to look it up.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Perhaps he was calling it as he saw it. Perhaps he was saying it to appeal to a certain class of voters to make them feel better than others so that he could get their votes. Politicians do that type of thing. Regardless, I think it is likely that he told a partial truth only, not the whole truth. But as I said before, I don't recall EXACTLY what he said, and I am not going to look it up.
    This lesson is repeated so often in politics, by politicians and their handlers, that perception is reality. In this case your 'perception' is your 'truth'.

    Of course you don't recall what was said, few do, and have no interest in understanding what was said, few do that as well, yet you understand the meaning to be 'contempt', and you probably took your 'perception' to the voting booth.

  4. #144
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Really? Another Bush, possibly another Clinton? What has happened to this great nation? Is this the best out of all the people in this country we can do? Or are we just subjects to a ruling class elite who could give a **** about you or me?


    Sad reality is, there are those cheering for these royals and thier race for power.
    To be honest Rev, both have what it takes to be the president family heritage aside. Of course I would not vote for Hillary, as she is a little to far left for me. I would vote for Jeb Bush without a second thought though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This lesson is repeated so often in politics, by politicians and their handlers, that perception is reality. In this case your 'perception' is your 'truth'.

    Of course you don't recall what was said, few do, and have no interest in understanding what was said, few do that as well, yet you understand the meaning to be 'contempt', and you probably took your 'perception' to the voting booth.
    You are truthful that you say my perception is my truth. But I did admit truthfully that I do not remember exactly what was said. But I what I said in terms of the gist of it is fairly accurate. But since you want to discuss it. Let's indeed go and let everyone see what he said, EXACTLY. In his own words. Let's see if can find it, because I really don't want to be unfair to him.



    You know, I am going to give you some points for this. Although there may be a slight bit of contempt there, it is not what I thought. Good point! "A" for you brother! That's for pointing that out!

    That said however, I do not think that what he said was totally true. My understanding is that one can pay no income tax for many reasons. Not simply because they are poor and need government assistance. That is one thing. The next thing is that he is inaccurate to assume that those people who want they government to do something for them, necessarily like for it to be that way. Of course he did not say that. But he does seem to imply that. What if they have been recently laid off? Of course, if you didn't have any source of steady income coming in, you would want to get government assistance if you were legally entitled to it. There is nothing wrong with that. But the contempt is this. There is the subtle, though not openly stated idea that is put forward that somehow, requesting and expecting government assistance is contemptible. I do get that.

    That said, you point is well taken, and believe me, I appreciate you pointing that out because I did indeed distort it.

    Indeed, I cheerfully accept your criticism of me here.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You are truthful that you say my perception is my truth. But I did admit truthfully that I do not remember exactly what was said. But I what I said in terms of the gist of it is fairly accurate. But since you want to discuss it. Let's indeed go and let everyone see what he said, EXACTLY. In his own words. Let's see if can find it, because I really don't want to be unfair to him.



    You know, I am going to give you some points for this. Although there may be a slight bit of contempt there, it is not what I thought. Good point! "A" for you brother! That's for pointing that out!

    That said however, I do not think that what he said was totally true. My understanding is that one can pay no income tax for many reasons. Not simply because they are poor and need government assistance. That is one thing. The next thing is that he is inaccurate to assume that those people who want they government to do something for them, necessarily like for it to be that way. Of course he did not say that. But he does seem to imply that. What if they have been recently laid off? Of course, if you didn't have any source of steady income coming in, you would want to get government assistance if you were legally entitled to it. There is nothing wrong with that. But the contempt is this. There is the subtle, though not openly stated idea that is put forward that somehow, requesting and expecting government assistance is contemptible. I do get that.

    That said, you point is well taken, and believe me, I appreciate you pointing that out because I did indeed distort it.

    Indeed, I cheerfully accept your criticism of me here.
    That was very impressive, and thank you. But it was not my intention to be critical of you personally as you did nothing to offend. I was just making an observation about people in general, and we all do what you did. Cheers!

  7. #147
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    To be honest Rev, both have what it takes to be the president family heritage aside. Of course I would not vote for Hillary, as she is a little to far left for me. I would vote for Jeb Bush without a second thought though.



    I think almost no-one in washington has what it takes, but I digress.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #148
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: With eye on 2016, Jeb Bush resigns from all boards

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I think almost no-one in washington has what it takes, but I digress.
    See that is the problem... They have what it takes... They however choose to go down the path of evil, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •