Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 604

Thread: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

  1. #521
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sure you would....What makes you think that people like me walk around "compelled to carry a lethal weapon"? Although I am a CCW holder, I do not carry everywhere I go...But one thing you have to understand is that although you may want to go through life "avoiding" things, that isn't for everybody, or really anybody...It can't be done successfully your entire life...See, there is this uncontrollable factor, called other people...Some are dangerous, some are crazy, and some just don't give a ****...So, if you want to give it a try, go ahead...This is a free country, and I don't look down on you for wanting to do so, but you seem to look down on those that don't think like you do...Sorry for that.
    I look down on those that violate the liberties of their fellow citizen.

    As for "avoiding" life, I spend my days in the public, surrounded by everything from millionaires to homeless. I have never felt the need or desire to arm myself against them.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  2. #522
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Ideally none. I see "justifiable homicide" as the failure to prevent escalation. If we're preventing the escalation, we don't have reasons to reach "kill or be killed" moments.
    It is impossible to prevent all escalation.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #523
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Through education and access to resources you can prevent losing virtually any foot. I believe the same can be argued for denying citizens due process.

    I'd argue that the person feeling compelled to carry a lethal weapon around lives in greater fear than the one who doesn't feel the need.
    Your argument is about as strong as a mouse. Hence why no nation has never, nor will ever, adopt your ideology.

  4. #524
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I look down on those that violate the liberties of their fellow citizen.

    As for "avoiding" life, I spend my days in the public, surrounded by everything from millionaires to homeless. I have never felt the need or desire to arm myself against them.
    You may look down on them, but you are failing to acknowledge that in the case of a confrontation, someone is violating someones rights...according to you, your solution is to run, but if the person seeking to violate your rights won't let you, then you are stuck, and I guess you're fine with having YOUR rights violated....That's fine. But, why would you think I should be ok with that?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #525
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    It is impossible to prevent all escalation.
    It's a matter of studying and applying understanding. We've limited the escalation of many things in society through methods such as building codes and medical research. We don't even appreciate that things used to escalate, because we've addressed them and prevent moments of tragedy through planning, testing, and inspection. There's no reason that we can't apply this towards human interactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    Your argument is about as strong as a mouse. Hence why no nation has never, nor will ever, adopt your ideology.
    It certainly is not in keeping with the violence prone nature of humans, I agree. That doesn't mean it's unreachable.
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You may look down on them, but you are failing to acknowledge that in the case of a confrontation, someone is violating someones rights...according to you, your solution is to run, but if the person seeking to violate your rights won't let you, then you are stuck, and I guess you're fine with having YOUR rights violated....That's fine. But, why would you think I should be ok with that?
    If someone wants to kill me, someone will kill me. I can't prevent it. A gun on my hip won't protect me, it doesn't make me bulletproof. Killing people won't make me bulletproof either.

  6. #526
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    If someone wants to kill me, someone will kill me. I can't prevent it. A gun on my hip won't protect me, it doesn't make me bulletproof. Killing people won't make me bulletproof either.
    And you think others should adopt this attitude why?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #527
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    1. Everything posted on this board amounts to the opinions of people with no real power. I'm just another voicing a concern from conflicts I perceive in our application of justice.

    2. I don't own a gun, so that's an unlikely event.
    1. and in some cases, that's a really good thing.

    2. Impossible, in fact. If you really were in a kill or be killed situation, which, as you said, is unlikely, then you would wind up dead.

    But, the OP was about cops who actually were in a kill or be killed situation. Were they unarmed, then they would have been dead also, and without a trial or having even been accused of a crime.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #528
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    It's a matter of studying and applying understanding. We've limited the escalation of many things in society through methods such as building codes and medical research. We don't even appreciate that things used to escalate, because we've addressed them and prevent moments of tragedy through planning, testing, and inspection. There's no reason that we can't apply this towards human interactions.

    It certainly is not in keeping with the violence prone nature of humans, I agree. That doesn't mean it's unreachable.

    If someone wants to kill me, someone will kill me. I can't prevent it. A gun on my hip won't protect me, it doesn't make me bulletproof. Killing people won't make me bulletproof either.
    It's 100% unreachable. No government is going to deny their citizens the right to kill an attacker who is killing them. It's quite frankly, the most hilariously insane theory I've heard in a while.

  9. #529
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And you think others should adopt this attitude why?
    Because it's in keeping with my reading of the Constitution and with a happier, more peaceful society in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    1. and in some cases, that's a really good thing.

    2. Impossible, in fact. If you really were in a kill or be killed situation, which, as you said, is unlikely, then you would wind up dead.

    But, the OP was about cops who actually were in a kill or be killed situation. Were they unarmed, then they would have been dead also, and without a trial or having even been accused of a crime.
    1. No argument. I'm not claiming to be immune from advocating bad policy either. None of us are anywhere near the technocrats I'd prefer running things.

    2. Virtually every car accident is preventable with sufficient implementation of defensive driving techniques. We accept them because it's too easy to chalk them up to fate, or the other guy when both drivers likely bare some responsibility. If we approached "self defense" Even though the guy on front of us slammed on their brakes unexpectedly, it's still our obligation to maintain a safe following distance.

    If we as individuals and a society approached self defense as more than simply carrying a last moment strategy on our hip this would be virtually impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    It's 100% unreachable. No government is going to deny their citizens the right to kill an attacker who is killing them. It's quite frankly, the most hilariously insane theory I've heard in a while.
    The government already denies your ability to kill every other moment of your life, this is simply a small boundary shift.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  10. #530
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Because it's in keeping with my reading of the Constitution and with a happier, more peaceful society in general.
    Too bad...We don't think like you, and don't want your way of doing things...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •