Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 604

Thread: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    If the officer was overpowered and disarmed he was improperly prepared, trained, or supported. This improper training, preparation, or support contributed to escalating a simple arrest into a death.

    The officer wasn't prepared. A prepared officer wouldn't have allowed a deadly weapon into his attacker's hands, or been limited to deadly force to deal with an escalating conflict.
    Can you cite your sources for the absurd claim you just made? He didn't allow anything. If he DID allow it, then he would be dead. The best outcome happened. A murderous thug died, and an officer prevailed.

  2. #312
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    Can you cite your sources for the absurd claim you just made? He didn't allow anything. If he DID allow it, then he would be dead. The best outcome happened. A murderous thug died, and an officer prevailed.
    You're stuck on the procedures and narrative rather than examining whether those procedures are legitimate outside the context of this narrative.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  3. #313
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    If the officer was overpowered and disarmed he was improperly prepared, trained, or supported. This improper training, preparation, or support contributed to escalating a simple arrest into a death.
    That's just nonsense. If you are speaking of the Brown case, unpredictable things happen all the time in Urban America. Second guessing the event after the fact is for those who don't know squat. If you are talking about the man in this thread who tried to run over cops trying to effect a warrant then I would also say they acted exactly right.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #314
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    You're stuck on the procedures and narrative rather than examining whether those procedures are legitimate outside the context of this narrative.
    If the cop is in danger, and the suspect won't comply then yes, the procedure is correct.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #315
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I admittedly have unorthodox views on the legitimacy of self defense laws.

    I don't like either side of the officer/citizen equation being killed, however, being a civilian, I will side on the priorities of protecting civilians first. Officers are paid to protect and serve, citizens are unpaid for their risks in encountering law enforcement.

    I don't disagree that resisting arrest should be prosecuted. I disagree that resisting arrest should result in dead citizens.
    .

    So a post based on 'your feelings' and not dealing with the facts...life and death of cops and the public and the realities of self defense. So glad I bothered. /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Unarmed men shouldn't be able to disarm police officers. I expect law enforcement to be better trained than that.

    My sentence was a bit vaguely worded. I'm fine with supporting evidence, but feel it should be something a jury should review, rather than a police officer making a unilateral, irreversible decision about.
    Again, ignoring the reality that I presented....esp. in today's climate....that cop would have had his career destroyed and possibly ended up in jail had he even drawn his weapon. Surviving violence isnt a science. And sure...even cop's judgement can be faulty. Too bad Officer Herzog died because he gave someone the benefit of the doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    If a police officer is overpowered and has his weapon turned against him there are procedural issues that should be addressed.
    I hope that all the criminals know that you believe ambushes should be against the law. And more than one suspect attacking at once...that's also a bummer huh? That should also be against the law
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #318
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    If a police officer is overpowered and has his weapon turned against him there are procedural issues that should be addressed.
    There are. Once very specific. Suspects are ordered to get down on the ground and put their hands behind their heads.

    That's a procedure for EXACTLY that purpose. And you know what? Michael Brown didnt do that. So he remained a threat. One that had already attacked an armed officer. And he paid the price instead of the officer. (Who ended up paying a very high price for doing his job properly.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #319
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Larger men shouldn't have less ability to have a jury of their peers decide their fate than smaller men.

    I have very high expectations for what police should be able to do. Preventing a violent man from accessing a deadly weapon is one of them.
    "Disparity of force" is recognized by law, in the courts, in self defense cases.

    It can be size, weapons, age, mobility, etc. It absolutely plays into the level of a threat and response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #320
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post

    My sentence was a bit vaguely worded. I'm fine with supporting evidence, but feel it should be something a jury should review, rather than a police officer making a unilateral, irreversible decision about.
    The bold is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read regarding self-defense.

    ??? The cop makes a split decision to save a life...his own or the public. In those circumstances, NO ONE else can assess the actual threat in that instance. Gee whiz, I hope he lives to provide evidence in court! Those of us, cops or anyone else, can only PRAY PRAY PRAY that we have physical evidence to support our actions if we ever need to use lethal force. Because otherwise, just like the cop in Ferguson, we can end up screwed anyway. Legally or financially (the legal defense costs often cost people their houses).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •