Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 604

Thread: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

  1. #281
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,767

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Ultimately the officer determined that he was the victim of attempted murder by an unarmed man. While there may be evidence to support that, I don't think that's a standard that lends itself towards justice.
    That is the basic standard for self defense for everyone, not just cops.

    And it's just a bonus (for the person being attacked) that there is evidence to support them.

    That's indeed the way it is supposed to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #282
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,767

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    A citizen entered into an encounter with a law enforcement officer unarmed and left dead from the officer's gun. We're quibbling over details but ultimately it leaves room for doubt over a number of issues. We can agree that this is the type of encounter that should never occur, right?
    Naked citizen entered into an encounter with a law enforcement officer. Law enforcement officer disarmed and left dead.

    Details? Yeah, cop made some mistakes. But it was a no-win situation for him. If he had even drawn his gun, he would have been crucified in the media. If he had shot to defend himself, he'd be on death row since apparently, there is no way that an unarmed person can pose a threat to an armed one

    2001 Bellevue, WA
    Officer Herzog
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #283
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,767

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Has anyone figured out why or explained how so many people can willfully ignore the fact that there is a very real and necessary reason that cops tell suspects to get down on the ground, hands behind their heads, before they approach them? I mean, why isnt the procedure just to walk up to them and handcuff them? @_@
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #284
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That is the basic standard for self defense for everyone, not just cops.

    And it's just a bonus (for the person being attacked) that there is evidence to support them.

    That's indeed the way it is supposed to work.
    I admittedly have unorthodox views on the legitimacy of self defense laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Naked citizen entered into an encounter with a law enforcement officer. Law enforcement officer disarmed and left dead.

    Details? Yeah, cop made some mistakes. But it was a no-win situation for him. If he had even drawn his gun, he would have been crucified in the media. If he had shot to defend himself, he'd be on death row since apparently, there is no way that an unarmed person can pose a threat to an armed one

    2001 Bellevue, WA
    Officer Herzog
    I don't like either side of the officer/citizen equation being killed, however, being a civilian, I will side on the priorities of protecting civilians first. Officers are paid to protect and serve, citizens are unpaid for their risks in encountering law enforcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Has anyone figured out why or explained how so many people can willfully ignore the fact that there is a very real and necessary reason that cops tell suspects to get down on the ground, hands behind their heads, before they approach them? I mean, why isnt the procedure just to walk up to them and handcuff them? @_@
    I don't disagree that resisting arrest should be prosecuted. I disagree that resisting arrest should result in dead citizens.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  5. #285
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    I have no problem with police using force when it is warranted. AKA surviving. I don't really know about you, but choking out a man who has his hands up saying he can't breathe is not exactly a survival instinct. To show that I am sympathetic to genuine police officers, I would support making the targeting police officers to kill or injure a hate crime. I think that it is imperative to keep our officers safe, at the same time though, it is also imperative that we do not turn to mob rule and choke out every other person that is stopped on the streets.
    Last edited by iacardsfan; 01-05-15 at 07:49 PM.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #286
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,342

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    In some ways, the statement of "you can succeed if you try hard enough" is utter bull****.

    Sure, if you try hard enough, you will probably succeed.

    But in some cases the obstacles you need to climb in order to succeed shouldn't be there in the first place.
    Perhaps, but even so, there's no excuse for not trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    A citizen entered into an encounter with a law enforcement officer unarmed and left dead from the officer's gun. We're quibbling over details but ultimately it leaves room for doubt over a number of issues. We can agree that this is the type of encounter that should never occur, right?
    Haha now you're just twisting the story. You're ignoring the entire plot. No, we do not agree at all. Brown was confronted for breaking the law. Brown attacked a police officer, tried to take his gun, STARTED the struggle in the policeman's car, and died. 100% legal. You can continue your "he was unarmed, hand's up don't shoot" lies all you like. This was an easy one for the grand jury. Thug tries to kill cop, thug dies. Easy peasy lemon squeezy :-)

  8. #288
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Ultimately the officer determined that he was the victim of attempted murder by an unarmed man. While there may be evidence to support that, I don't think that's a standard that lends itself towards justice.
    Why should justice not be based on supporting evidence?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #289
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    Haha now you're just twisting the story. You're ignoring the entire plot. No, we do not agree at all. Brown was confronted for breaking the law. Brown attacked a police officer, tried to take his gun, STARTED the struggle in the policeman's car, and died. 100% legal. You can continue your "he was unarmed, hand's up don't shoot" lies all you like. This was an easy one for the grand jury. Thug tries to kill cop, thug dies. Easy peasy lemon squeezy :-)
    Unarmed men shouldn't be able to disarm police officers. I expect law enforcement to be better trained than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Why should justice not be based on supporting evidence?
    My sentence was a bit vaguely worded. I'm fine with supporting evidence, but feel it should be something a jury should review, rather than a police officer making a unilateral, irreversible decision about.

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Man tries to run over Pa. police, shot dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Unarmed men shouldn't be able to disarm police officers. I expect law enforcement to be better trained than that.

    My sentence was a bit vaguely worded. I'm fine with supporting evidence, but feel it should be something a jury should review, rather than a police officer making a unilateral, irreversible decision about.
    You mean an unarmed man that's 4 inches taller and 80 pounds heavier, in a violent fit of rage?

    Lol, your argument is about as strong as a blade of grass.

Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •