Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 439

Thread: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

  1. #1
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,695

    Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    This is just a horribly tragic story and the reason it's so tragic is because it was so preventable.

    I'm the VP of the local chapter of an organization that provides professional education for those in my career field. Every month our board meets to discuss the topics that we'll be covering in our seminars and inevitably we have a lot of interest in new topics and exciting topics and flashy topics. Hey, those topics put asses in the seats and that's part of our job. But there is another part of our job and that's to make sure that those who are member of our organization or attend our events are performing at the highest professional standards they can and in order to achieve that standard we also need to constantly reinforce the basics.

    I'm a tax and accounting guy. I can run through your financial data faster than you can run a comb through your hair and can not only spot an anomaly from a mile away but can usually tell you why it's out of whack half an hour before I hit my billing minimum. That being said, I'm also human and when I get too used to doing the same thing the same way all the time that's when I get dangerous. I suspect that's what happened in Hayden and why some 2 year old no longer has a mommy.

    Folks, if you're going to carry a firearm then you need to pay attention to the basics. It's how you protect others and yourself from tragedy caused by complacency. I'd like to use this thread to clarify and discuss the basics of daily carry and I'd like to hear, primarily, from those who do carry every day. I'd also like those who don't carry to ask questions so that we can address your concerns.

    For starters, when you carry you need to be in control of your weapon. That means you don't hand it to someone else or leave it on the toilet tank. You don't just dump it into your purse or your pocket. You keep that weapon in such a manner that you KNOW it's safe, secure and under your immediate control. The specifics of how you do that are often dependent on exactly what kind of weapon you're carrying but one of the basics is your holster. USE ONE!!

    Simply stuffing a pistol in your waistband or purse might look cool in the movies but it's stupid. Even a decent level I holster will provide more security than your waistband. As a minimum it should be enough to cover the trigger guard so that nothing can get stuck in there accidentally. It should also be made for the firearm you're using it with so that everything fits and stays secure.

    One other thing, once your weapon is in its holster and under your control DON'T **** WITH IT! There is no need to play pocket pool with your pistol. The pistol doesn't care and isn't going to feel neglected. Leave it alone unless you absolutely need to use it. If you have to take it off for some reason (entering an area where firearms are prohibited, for example) then take it off pistol and holster together. This is a good reason for those who carry IWB to use clip on holsters.

    This is just one suggestion. Please feel free to add more.

  2. #2
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,804

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    This is just a horribly tragic story and the reason it's so tragic is because it was so preventable.

    I'm the VP of the local chapter of an organization that provides professional education for those in my career field. Every month our board meets to discuss the topics that we'll be covering in our seminars and inevitably we have a lot of interest in new topics and exciting topics and flashy topics. Hey, those topics put asses in the seats and that's part of our job. But there is another part of our job and that's to make sure that those who are member of our organization or attend our events are performing at the highest professional standards they can and in order to achieve that standard we also need to constantly reinforce the basics.

    I'm a tax and accounting guy. I can run through your financial data faster than you can run a comb through your hair and can not only spot an anomaly from a mile away but can usually tell you why it's out of whack half an hour before I hit my billing minimum. That being said, I'm also human and when I get too used to doing the same thing the same way all the time that's when I get dangerous. I suspect that's what happened in Hayden and why some 2 year old no longer has a mommy.

    Folks, if you're going to carry a firearm then you need to pay attention to the basics. It's how you protect others and yourself from tragedy caused by complacency. I'd like to use this thread to clarify and discuss the basics of daily carry and I'd like to hear, primarily, from those who do carry every day. I'd also like those who don't carry to ask questions so that we can address your concerns.

    For starters, when you carry you need to be in control of your weapon. That means you don't hand it to someone else or leave it on the toilet tank. You don't just dump it into your purse or your pocket. You keep that weapon in such a manner that you KNOW it's safe, secure and under your immediate control. The specifics of how you do that are often dependent on exactly what kind of weapon you're carrying but one of the basics is your holster. USE ONE!!

    Simply stuffing a pistol in your waistband or purse might look cool in the movies but it's stupid. Even a decent level I holster will provide more security than your waistband. As a minimum it should be enough to cover the trigger guard so that nothing can get stuck in there accidentally. It should also be made for the firearm you're using it with so that everything fits and stays secure.

    One other thing, once your weapon is in its holster and under your control DON'T **** WITH IT! There is no need to play pocket pool with your pistol. The pistol doesn't care and isn't going to feel neglected. Leave it alone unless you absolutely need to use it. If you have to take it off for some reason (entering an area where firearms are prohibited, for example) then take it off pistol and holster together. This is a good reason for those who carry IWB to use clip on holsters.

    This is just one suggestion. Please feel free to add more.
    Absolutely rule number one!










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #3
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    I have been in that WalMart. It is 40 mins from my house.

    This is so awful. There were 3 other siblings who were probably older and they witnessed their mother being shot.

    It is another one of those accidents that occur in 2 seconds and will affect lives forever. Almost too much to handle.

  4. #4
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    This is crazy and why some people like me are nervous about owning a gun and having a gun around kids. My mom and dad had a gun in our house, and I grew up never knowing it. I never found the gun or knew where it was. It seems insanely irresponsible to me to keep a gun in your purse if you have kids. Anybody can reach in there, and little kids do that. When my niece was two, she'd pick up purses and sling them over her shoulder. OMG.

  5. #5
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    Terrible tragedy. I own 2 1911s and these guns have manual safeties on them but even then I dont chamber a round- Im not a cop so Im not expecting a quick draw and fire situation and I have trained myself doing the Isreali draw (which is racking the slide as you draw) so this means that the only possible way my son could accidentally fire this gun is that he needs to chamber a round before pulling the trigger, and he isnt strong enough to do that. Guns need to be treated carefully, especially when you have young children around- this tragedy could have easily been prevented.

  6. #6
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    This is awful, I am not against a person owning a gun for protection, but why don't use their heads. This little boy will go through life knowing he shot and killed his mother. This woman paid with her life for her stupidity.


  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    I don't understand not having the safety on when a gun is in the purse. ESPECIALLY with kids around. So many stories of guns getting dropped and firing, much less the many things that can go wrong with kids.

    On comments on the article on one site, several posters said not all guns have safeties. But if you are a parent - especially with young kids - how could you buy a gun without a safety?

    I feel very sorry for this family. And the op is right- it was so easily preventable.

    I suppose there are lots of parents carrying guns, shopping in WalMart, whose kids never fire their guns. But please - take all precautions when carrying such dangerous items.

  8. #8
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,941

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    I don't understand not having the safety on when a gun is in the purse. ESPECIALLY with kids around. So many stories of guns getting dropped and firing, much less the many things that can go wrong with kids.

    On comments on the article on one site, several posters said not all guns have safeties. But if you are a parent - especially with young kids - how could you buy a gun without a safety?

    I feel very sorry for this family. And the op is right- it was so easily preventable.

    I suppose there are lots of parents carrying guns, shopping in WalMart, whose kids never fire their guns. But please - take all precautions when carrying such dangerous items.
    Mechanical safeties are an academic discussion. Guns don't have them anymore because they do little to improve safety and take time to take off under stress when you need your gun.

    As far as guns firing when dropped, all modern handguns have internal safeties that keep the firing pin away from the cartridge until the trigger is pulled, modern handguns, like post 1965, should not just go off from being dropped
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  9. #9
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Mechanical safeties are an academic discussion. Guns don't have them anymore because they do little to improve safety and take time to take off under stress when you need your gun.

    As far as guns firing when dropped, all modern handguns have internal safeties that keep the firing pin away from the cartridge until the trigger is pulled, modern handguns, like post 1965, should not just go off from being dropped
    Although I prefer having manual safeties on my guns I agree that its debatable as to its effectiveness. I think the more important aspect is whether you chamber a round in a semi-auto or not. Personally I think if youre not a cop there's no reason to do so if you want to be really safe, especially if you have small kids.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: Toddler shoots and kills mother in Hayden Walmart

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Although I prefer having manual safeties on my guns I agree that its debatable as to its effectiveness. I think the more important aspect is whether you chamber a round in a semi-auto or not. Personally I think if youre not a cop there's no reason to do so if you want to be really safe, especially if you have small kids.
    It depends on what you're comfortable with. If you're carrying a Glock and can't keep your hands off the damned thing it's probably better to carry condition 3. Otherwise most pistols are perfectly safe to carry condition 1. WRT the kids....don't have the damned pistol where they can get their hands on it! If you're carrying somewhere that's not on your body then don't put the package down.

    I'm assuming that this woman had the gun in her purse and the purse in the shopping cart. If so that's wrong on a several levels but at the top of the list is that she wasn't in control of the weapon.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •