Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 254

Thread: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group [W:22, 100]

  1. #21
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,886

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Are the rights of European-Americans under attack? Are there a lot of groups like this?
    They could be?
    It's certainly not politically correct though.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Moderator's Warning:
    Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group [W:22, 100]This thread isn't about Tea Partiers, Kenyans, or any other such thing. I suggest posts going forward be CLEARLY linked to the topic if you want to stay in this thread

  3. #23
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,436

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    White supremacists. You can read, right?
    So what? Should any politician that has spoken in front of CAIR step down?

    Should Obama resign his presidency because he speaks to Sharpton?

    Theose people are voters and why shouldn't a politician speak to them?

    You have no idea what was spoken about and it was 12 years ago.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    My take....

    Is it a good look that he talked to that group? No, not at all. It's definitely not a good look for him, or for Republicans in general.

    That said...

    It was smart on his part to simply own up to the fact he spoke with them from the onset. He also claims that he had not looked significantly into what or who the group was before speaking at the meeting in question.

    While it's absolutely possible he's lying, there's little reason to just assume that he is. The meeting in question took place in 2002. The group was created only two years before that, and had gone by an entirely seperate name for it's first two years of life (NO FEAR). All reports from seem to indicate that Scalises statements and discussions at said meeting were about rather benign, standard, Republican talking points regarding welfare programs and things like affirmative action. While people may have varying views on those, and people may like to assume they're Professor X and can read peoples minds, there's nothing inherently racist or vile in terms of having views that affirmative action is not a good program or that we need to cut back on federal welfare spending. Nothing that's been reported seems to suggest this politician was actually articulating or arguing for inherently white supremicist/white nationalist policy/stances/statements. Nor does he have any seeming history of racially questionable statements or actions, outside of the standard pathetic attempts by some hyper partisan liberals to label basic Republican policy beliefs as "racist". There also, at this point, doesn't seem to be some kind of ongoing involvement with this group outside of this particular event.

    So does this look bad? Yes. Would it be bad if he knew that this was a white nationalist or supremicist group and went to speak with them anyways? Yes. Would it have been bad if he tried to cover it up? Yes. If it comes out that he's had an ongoing working relationship with that group for multiple years would it be bad? Yes.

    But at this moment I'm not seeing anything to get horribly worked up about with where this story currently is. It was discovered he was at said event. He admitted he was at said event. He gave a plausible claim that he didn't realize the groups makeup and ultimately goals at the time; something that seems at least possible given various facts. Nothing he reported to have said or endorsed was inherently a racist or supremcisist/nationalist type of notion, and he's had no seeming continued consistent contact with the group.

    Does it look bad? Yes. Does it probably make it smarter politically to go for another whip at this time? Absolutely. But given all the facts that have came out thus far, to me this is kind of a shoulder shrug in terms of some kind of thing to get worked up about in terms of him personally, the party, or him being in congress.

  5. #25
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Are the rights of European-Americans under attack? Are there a lot of groups like this?
    European-American Unity and Rights Organization

    It's easy to see that connection now that you have the context, but without that context, it sounds like a pro-Euro/American unity group. You have to step back and look at this objectively and WITHOUT 20/20 hindsight to see that this is a name that could apply to a couple of different ideologies. It's easy to say "Well it's obvious that it's a WP group.", but that's because your frame of reference has been set. Without that reference to influence your view of the group, it could easily look like a center-left org. that wants to support Euro/American unity and create rights that would apply to either party. Now I think that Scalise (actually his staff) failed in not vetting the organization before he agreed to speak before them, but to think that he shouldn't have done so based on nothing more than their name is expecting too much.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I'm glad we agree. I don't like leftists either. I don;t think that GW is a racist, I just think he's stupid as hell. Obama is no peach either, but he's not a racist neither was he born in Kenya.
    I can agree with you. I acknowledge that Obama was not born in Kenya and that he is not racist.

    What I am opposed to is the contention that Scalise must be a racist because he has done "X" (address a heavily ethnocentric group). Obama has also done "X' though his apparent support of Munir Muhammad.

    What I do believe is that Scalise and Obama are sympathetic to a certain extent to the broader message presented by EURO and Nations of Islam. That is why a group like EURO with a strange name (European American....) and Munir's descendancy from the Nation of Islam movement did not raise any red flags for them.

    I can also acknowledge that there are far more right wing firebrand and rabble rousers in the USA than their leftist equiivelants. Radical leftists have not been able to replace themselves to a large degree. Aside from Earth First types, most leftist radicals, including Black Panthers and Nations of Islam activists are in their 60s.

  7. #27
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Your source is hyperbolic at best. Politicians meet all kinds of people. The problem this Republican has is he KNEW where he was speaking and to whom. It's not like some guy wanted to have his picture taken. The right-wing is full of that sort of crap and that's the biggest problem that the Republicans have.

    Here's more proof for 'ya: Tea Partiers Protest At White House: 'Hang The Lying Kenyan Traitor'
    You call TPM proof?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #28
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,680

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You call TPM proof?
    TPM is quite credible and often used as a resource in Journalism.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #29
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    European-American Unity and Rights Organization
    Now I think that Scalise (actually his staff) failed in not vetting the organization before he agreed to speak before them, but to think that he shouldn't have done so based on nothing more than their name is expecting too much.
    I disagree. The "European American rights component" should have been a red flag to Scalise that the group was strange. Duke also founded the National Association for the Advancement of White People.

    Speaking to a strange group (in this case, a white ethnocentric one) does not make him a racist- anymore than Obama befriending Nations of Islam types (black ethnocentrics) automatically makes him a racist.

  10. #30
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalise Allegedly Spoke with White Supremacy Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Didn't you know? Only white people can hate.


    Powerless people's racism has little effect on those that it is directed towards.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •