Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 169

Thread: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

  1. #1
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    The 13-year NATO combat mission in Afghanistan formally ended Sunday with a ceremonial retirement of its green flag and a pledge by top officials of the U.S.-led coalition to remain reliable partners in Afghanistan’s unfinished war against the Taliban and other militant groups.

    Campbell and other Western officials stressed that their chief function under the new mission, named Resolute Support, will be to advise, train and assist Afghan security forces. They said, however, that a separate “non-NATO” contingent of U.S. forces will participate in force protection, logistical support and counterterrorism activities.

    The Taliban responded to the transition event with glee. In a lengthy statement issued Sunday night by a Taliban spokesman, the insurgent group gloated at the final departure of a “haughty” superpower that “thought it had already won the war and that the Mujaheddin would never . . . think of putting up a fight.”
    NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends - The Washington Post

    While remaining NATO forces will have a formal mission of providing training and "assistance" to Afghan forces, a separate U.S. force will continue to provide security, logistical support, and engage in "counterterrorism."

    In other words a limited combat role for U.S. forces will continue. Five thousand Americans will remain with the NATO contingent of 12,000, while 5,500 U.S. troops will remain in the separate, combat role. In other words, no, the U.S. war in Afghanistan is not over.

  2. #2
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,818

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends - The Washington Post

    While remaining NATO forces will have a formal mission of providing training and "assistance" to Afghan forces, a separate U.S. force will continue to provide security, logistical support, and engage in "counterterrorism."

    In other words a limited combat role for U.S. forces will continue. Five thousand Americans will remain with the NATO contingent of 12,000, while 5,500 U.S. troops will remain in the separate, combat role. In other words, no, the U.S. war in Afghanistan is not over.
    About 12 years to late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends - The Washington Post

    While remaining NATO forces will have a formal mission of providing training and "assistance" to Afghan forces, a separate U.S. force will continue to provide security, logistical support, and engage in "counterterrorism."

    In other words a limited combat role for U.S. forces will continue. Five thousand Americans will remain with the NATO contingent of 12,000, while 5,500 U.S. troops will remain in the separate, combat role. In other words, no, the U.S. war in Afghanistan is not over.


    Heya AT. Did you see or hear BO's speech on Afghanistan. He claimed it as a success.

    While the Taliban laugh and talk about how BO negotiates to end the War they say isn't over.

    Our troops are going to be hard pressed having to watch out for the Taliban and with the re-emergence of AQ in Afghanistan.

  4. #4
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    About damn time. How about instead of leaving these troops behind to provide "training" and "assistance" we bring them home. Afghan will remain the graveyard of empires, and those empires include America.


  5. #5
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya AT. Did you see or hear BO's speech on Afghanistan. He claimed it as a success.

    While the Taliban laugh and talk about how BO negotiates to end the War they say isn't over.

    Our troops are going to be hard pressed having to watch out for the Taliban and with the re-emergence of AQ in Afghanistan.
    It's not a success, but it's not a utter failure either. It's a work in progress, and we are still there to transition, and provide support.

    The ANSF have been taking heavy losses ( 5000 this year + 3000 police), so these aren't a bunch of Iraqi cowards either.
    They've been able to hold or retake ground. The US keeping air support and MEDVACS is a big deal too.
    We are going true counter -terrorism now.

    While I would never have gone the "nation building route ( counter-insurgency) and would have gone counter-terrorism like we are doing now;Afghan society is much better then it was before.
    The army is cohesive, there are newspapers/women in Parliament, successful election, a unity gov't, etc.

    With Paki's determined offensive against the TTP Taliban in the Waziristans ,
    there is a chance here that Afghan will eventualy come out of the feudal warlord phase to some type of national gov't.
    Which I'd like to see both for international terrorism concerns, and for the much beleaguered Afghan people.

    The Pashtun nationalism though, and the Taliban make this far from over or a guarantee. Far from over, but far from a defeat either.

    Obama is spinning a "successful end "to the war" as his usual crap speak, and I've long since quit paying attention to him,
    but all in all the situation is much better now then it has been for a long time with the Paki cooperation, and the Afghan new unity gov't.

    Thank great Buddha Karzai is out of there....hope for the best expect the worse at this point , my friend
    Last edited by annata; 12-28-14 at 08:31 PM.
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  6. #6
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,818

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    It's not a success, but it's not a utter failure either. It's a work in progress, and we are still there to transition, and provide support.

    The ANSF have been taking heavy losses ( 5000 this year + 3000 police), so these aren't a bunch of Iraqi cowards either.
    They've been able to hold or retake ground. The US keeping air support and MEDVACS is a big deal too. We are going true counter -terrorism.

    While I would never have gone the "nation building route ( counter-insurgency) and would have gone counter-terrorism like we are doing now;
    Afghan society is much better. The army is cohesive, there areewspapers/women in Parliament.

    With Paki's determined offensive against the TTP Taliban in the Waziristans ,
    there is a chance here that Afghan will eventualy come out of the feudal warlord phase to some type of national gov't.
    Which I'd like to see both for international terrorism concerns, and for the much beleaguered Afghan people.

    The Pashtun nationalism though, and the Taliban make this far from over or a guarantee. Far from over, but far from a defeat either.

    Obama is spinning a "successful end "to the war" as his usual crap speak, and I've long since quit paying attention to him,
    but all in all the situation is much better now then it has been for a long time with the Paki cooperation, and the Afghan new unity gov't.
    Thank great Buddha Karzai is out of there....hope for the best expect the worse at this point , my friend
    Staying in AStan after the Taliban were toasted was and is a complete failure.
    How many killed.
    How many injured.
    How many tens of billions spent that supported corruption.
    After the Taliban were sent on there way, the coalition should have loaded up, got on a plane and left them to kill each other.
    Last edited by JANFU; 12-28-14 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  7. #7
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    AStan was and is a complete failure.
    How many killed.
    How many injured.
    How many tens of billions spent that supported corruption.
    After the Taliban were sent on there way, the coalition should have loaded up, got on a plane and left them to kill each other.
    2300 US.KIA

    Like I mentioned I wouldn't have gone the Bush route (nation building), but we did.

    Was it worth it? prolly not in the sense of trying to build that society, but it's far from a "complete failure".

    we've killed a lot of AQ types, it's not a breeding ground for international terrorism anymore ( although some Taliban have gone to Syria).

    I'm cautiously optimistic the place can come out of 30 years (Soviet occupation forward) of horrors to a slow transition to the modern world,
    even as a Sharia Muslim society. If it became even something like Pakistan, it would be at least a decent outcome

  8. #8
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,818

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    2300 US.KIA

    Like I mentioned I wouldn't have gone the Bush route (nation building), but we did.

    Was it worth it? prolly not in the sense of trying to build that society, but it's far from a "complete failure".

    we've killed a lot of AQ types, it's not a breeding ground for international terrorism anymore ( although some Taliban have gone to Syria).

    I'm cautiously optimistic the place can come out of 30 years (Soviet occupation forward) of horrors to a slow transition to the modern world,
    even as a Sharia Muslim society. If it became even something like Pakistan, it would be at least a decent outcome
    Pakistan supported the Taliban for years, during the war as well.
    After the fall of the Taliban, everyone should have ffd off at the high port
    They created a number of terrorist orgs. firstly for Kashmir and india that have come back to haunt them.
    Pakistan is completely dysfunctional and with nukes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  9. #9
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Pakistan supported the Taliban for years, during the war as well.
    After the fall of the Taliban, everyone should have ffd off at the high port
    They created a number of terrorist orgs. firstly for Kashmir and india that have come back to haunt them.
    Pakistan is completely dysfunctional and with nukes.
    ya. I know the ISI supported the Taliban in an attempt to keep hegemony over Afgh.
    The Pakistani Taliban were "bad," while others, whose forays across Pakistan's borders served the the military, were "good."

    You do know about the Peshawar shootings, as well as the Karachi airport bombing earlier this year? they are game changers.

    This means that the other ethnic groups (Punjabis, Sindis and Baluch) that jointly account for more than 80 percent of Pakistan’s population have begun to see the Taliban as a regional terrorist group, rather than a national Islamist movement
    ‘The last straw’ — Pakistan turns against terror | New York Post

  10. #10
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,818

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    ya. I know the ISI supported the Taliban in an attempt to keep hegemony over Afgh.
    The Pakistani Taliban were "bad," while others, whose forays across Pakistan's borders served the the military, were "good."

    You do know about the Peshawar shootings, as well as the Karachi airport bombing earlier this year? they are game changers.
    No they are not. Look to the Mumbai bombings/killings and the terrorist in Pakistani jail that was released then it was reversed around the same time as a the school murders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •