Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 169

Thread: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    maybe. there are DVR's?
    I was posting in general terms MMC; I see little if any coverage of AfPak "now that combat missions are over" according to Obama
    Unless Americans or NATO troops are killed. Then it will headline. You don't believe the General thinking he can prevent ISIS from coming in, if the Taliban accepts the terms to it, do you?

    Already AQ is back in. The Taliban might just go for more the merrier.

  2. #142
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Unless Americans or NATO troops are killed. Then it will headline. You don't believe the General thinking he can prevent ISIS from coming in, if the Taliban accepts the terms to it, do you?

    Already AQ is back in. The Taliban might just go for more the merrier.
    I haven't seen that exact line of thought about ISIL.
    I do believe ISIL is more specific to the ME -Baghdadi's claim to the caliphate or not -Zawahiri's influence is still the general rule in AfPak.

    I'm assuming you mean if the Taliban accept a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan that would leaves ISIL as the new jihadist group capable.
    In general I think Iran's influence carries more weight, which is why AQ can regroup there, but not Sunni ISIL.

    It's very speculative though -the TTP Taliban are still the big players, with Pakistans overwhelming influence of Afghnistan

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    I haven't seen that exact line of thought about ISIL.
    I do believe ISIL is more specific to the ME -Baghdadi's claim to the caliphate or not -Zawahiri's influence is still the general rule in AfPak.

    I'm assuming you mean if the Taliban accept a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan that would leaves ISIL as the new jihadist group capable.
    In general I think Iran's influence carries more weight, which is why AQ can regroup there, but not Sunni ISIL.

    It's very speculative though -the TTP Taliban are still the big players, with Pakistans overwhelming influence of Afghnistan


    We already know some of the Taliban in Pakistan are aligning with them. But The Taliban have some in Afghanistan that say they will join, if they think ISIS is capable.



    Afghan Militants May Join ISIS Says Their Commander.....
    The link-up could pose a renewed threat to an already fragile Afghanistan.

    An Afghanistan-based militant group with links to the Taliban is considering aligning itself with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the BBC reports.

    Commander Mirwais of the Hezb-e-Islami, a group notorious for its brutality, called ISIS fighters “great mujahideen,” and told the BBC his group was waiting to see if ISIS met the requirements for a true Islamic caliphate. “We pray for them,” he said, “and if we don’t see a problem in the way they operate, we will join them.”.....snip~

    Afghan Militants Hezb-e-Islami May Join ISIS Says Their Commander

  4. #144
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Still havent seen anyone say what this amounts to. Did we 'win'? Are we 'surrendering'?

  5. #145
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Still havent seen anyone say what this amounts to. Did we 'win'? Are we 'surrendering'?
    "It ain't over till it's over." - Yogi Berra

  6. #146
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    We already know some of the Taliban in Pakistan are aligning with them. But The Taliban have some in Afghanistan that say they will join, if they think ISIS is capable.



    Afghan Militants May Join ISIS Says Their Commander.....
    The link-up could pose a renewed threat to an already fragile Afghanistan.

    An Afghanistan-based militant group with links to the Taliban is considering aligning itself with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the BBC reports.

    Commander Mirwais of the Hezb-e-Islami, a group notorious for its brutality, called ISIS fighters “great mujahideen,” and told the BBC his group was waiting to see if ISIS met the requirements for a true Islamic caliphate. “We pray for them,” he said, “and if we don’t see a problem in the way they operate, we will join them.”.....snip~

    Afghan Militants Hezb-e-Islami May Join ISIS Says Their Commander
    yes. i'm familiar with Taliban going to Syria, but not the other way around..

    On a side note I did see a claim by a Karzai aid that Mullah Omar was captured in Karachi, but that was never confirmed,
    so I never posted it. Mullah Omar is alive and in Karachi, claims Afghan spy chief

    Either way the Quetta Shura & Haqqani network are still the problem, still operating out of Pakistan
    despite the Pashawar school shootings Pakistan Taliban warlord behind Peshawar school massacre vows MORE children will be slaughtered - Mirror Online
    and the recent Paki crackdown since the Karachi airport bombing last year.

    Then there are the Waziristan & (FATA) tribals to pacify. so it's a long slog, but I'm thinking that Pakistan ethinic's are tired of this
    and see the TTP Taliban more of an insurgency than a Muslin national movement.

    I'm also thinking most of Afghanistan views them the same..so once again it's going to have to be dealt with as it plays out..
    Best I can analyze this

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Still havent seen anyone say what this amounts to. Did we 'win'? Are we 'surrendering'?
    Are we surrendering? What kind of question is that? We took over Afghanistan in 3 days after the invasion. Since then, we've just been clearing out small towns of extremism. We won the war within days of entering Afghanistan. We took over their government and sent all of their leaders running for the hills, who are now dead.

  8. #148
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    Are we surrendering? What kind of question is that? We took over Afghanistan in 3 days after the invasion. Since then, we've just been clearing out small towns of extremism. We won the war within days of entering Afghanistan. We took over their government and sent all of their leaders running for the hills, who are now dead.
    Its a very honest question. Your response is relatively the same position I have had in both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The 'war' ended very early on with complete military success (I was there for both of them). So what exactly is it that is ending? I think that needs to be defined. Are we terminating the 'war on terror' against fundamentalist extremists? Since we HAVE been fighting for 11 years, WHO have we been fighting, why, and what is our metric for success?

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    yes. i'm familiar with Taliban going to Syria, but not the other way around..

    On a side note I did see a claim by a Karzai aid that Mullah Omar was captured in Karachi, but that was never confirmed,
    so I never posted it. Mullah Omar is alive and in Karachi, claims Afghan spy chief


    Either way the Quetta Shura & Haqqani network are still the problem, still operating out of Pakistan
    despite the Pashawar school shootings Pakistan Taliban warlord behind Peshawar school massacre vows MORE children will be slaughtered - Mirror Online
    and the recent Paki crackdown since the Karachi airport bombing last year.

    Then there are the Waziristan & (FATA) tribals to pacify. so it's a long slog, but I'm thinking that Pakistan ethinic's are tired of this
    and see the TTP Taliban more of an insurgency than a Muslin national movement.

    I'm also thinking most of Afghanistan views them the same..so once again it's going to have to be dealt with as it plays out..
    Best I can analyze this

    One of the Fab Five.....back in town already, huh?

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Its a very honest question. Your response is relatively the same position I have had in both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The 'war' ended very early on with complete military success (I was there for both of them). So what exactly is it that is ending? I think that needs to be defined. Are we terminating the 'war on terror' against fundamentalist extremists? Since we HAVE been fighting for 11 years, WHO have we been fighting, why, and what is our metric for success?
    Sorry, I always get a little heated when I see that question.

    -I would say that we are ending our combat mission. It's now a tactical training operation rather than a war. It's time for the Afghans to fight their own extremism. However, I really don't see this working.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •