Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 144

Thread: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

  1. #121
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    And those independent folks have much more credibility since they don't have a reputation of repeatedly lying like the US govt.
    And just how do you know this? I agree that the Director and Atty gen will lie at the drop of the political hat, but how do you know the independent researchers have more credibility?

  2. #122
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts


  3. #123
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Those experts don't speak on the FBI's behalf--the director and/or the attorney general does, and those (latter) people can easily lie.

    No, what we have are statements from the US govt's spokespeople vs. statements from independent computer security experts.

    And those independent folks have much more credibility since they don't have a reputation of repeatedly lying like the US govt.
    Those independent gurus also don't have the critical information they need to make a definitive determination. Everything I've read these outside guys are questioning the story based on the scant evidence they have, not explicitly claiming they have proof the official story is untrue. I'd imagine they're pressuring for more information to be released so that they can take a look for themselves.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    They don't. The conservative posters here have (predictably) been going on and on about how NK must have been responsible for the hack simply because the FBI told them so,

    in spite of the fact that experts in computer security have repeatedly denied that NK could be culprit.

    Hence, the conservative mindset: "I believe whatever the US govt. tells me--it's the Divine Truth, even if it contradicts the statements of experts."


    You must have missed what I had up then..

  5. #125
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,153

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    North Korea was NOT behind the Sony hack according to multiple security experts | Daily Mail Online



    If it was an inside job then it definitely would've been in the best interest of the FBI to blame it on a foreign enemy. If it was an inside job, what could this mean for internal security in the United States?

    I also find the Russia connection rather interesting.

    When it comes to internal security in the U.S... it means nothing what so ever. When it comes to the security that SONY implimented, it shows that Sony did not confirm to industry standards for Security. There are definite signs of it being an inside job. For example, the software the did the hack showed knowledge of of the data, since it hard coded paths, and passwords. Someone from outside the company would not be able to use hard coded paths/passwords without someone on the inside helping.

    Next, one of the accounts that was compromised that held the key to a lot of sensitive data had the password of 'password'. That would not pass any kind of reasonable internal audit if they ever had one. If SONY had a lick of common sense, and went to industry standard security protocols to secure the data, this would not have happened. Personally, I have to conclude not only SONY is at grave fault for this for having such shoddy security to begin with, but I have to question the competency of the FBI for making that conclusion based on the available evidence.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  6. #126
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,153

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You forgot the 5th and most important evidence that these "experts" are not really. Consider the source. The Daily Mail is full of hooey most of the time. I dismiss the whole thing as a publicity stunt.
    If it was just the Daily Mail, I would absolutely and utterly agree with you. However, a number of computer security sources agree with the daily mail, with information coming before the article in the Daily Mail. it isn't just the governments that could examine the malware, but anybody with access to a sample of it.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  7. #127
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,153

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    I heard a couple of people say it was an inside job for publicity. If that is the case, they should answer for the chaos they have created and the possible ripple effects it may cause.
    Whatever went on, it made us more aware of how vulnerable we really are.
    Considering the magnitude of the attack, and the information revealed, it wouldn't be for publicity. I would not trust any certificate, any data, or anything coming out of Sony, and it will take a great deal of effort to repair the trust. The reason it would be an inside job is that they do not treat their IT employees very well, low pay, poor benefits. It's pretty stupid to mistreat the employees who you give the 'keys to the kingdom' in i.t. that have potentially has access to all the data for running a business.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Sorry you're wrong.

    "The NSA is also charged with the protection of U.S. government communications and information systems against penetration and network warefare."

    National Security Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Actually I am right.. US Government, not the US. Two different things we are talking about here. NSA does **** all to protect US companies or even US citizens from hacking. In fact NSA hacks and tries to break encryption codes of US companies and US citizens.
    Last edited by austrianecon; 12-30-14 at 03:19 PM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    no, that's not how proxy servers work. I can easily identify individual users of one of my proxy servers.
    lol!!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: NK did not hack sony, according to security experts

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Hey you guys ever heard of the former Ft. Devens and know what was headquartered there? I bet not. I spent a few years there among some very bright people.
    United States Army Security Agency? Which merged with MI and became INSCOM in 1976?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •