Page 67 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 813

Thread: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol[W:649]

  1. #661
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Very few here are actually arguing for satanism, but rather the first amendment. You would likely get the same responses if it was a shrine to vishnu, buddha, thor, jesus, whoever as the primary problem is not religious, but vandalism.
    Yes. and everyone agrees that vandalism was uncalled for. There is no debate there. But as Satanism is the religion under discussion it can lead to some interesting debate. Satanism has always been opposed by Christians, with their recognition that evil exists in this world, so the confrontation between the two traditional antagonists can be quite interesting.

  2. #662
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes. and everyone agrees that vandalism was uncalled for. There is no debate there. But as Satanism is the religion under discussion it can lead to some interesting debate. Satanism has always been opposed by Christians, with their recognition that evil exists in this world, so the confrontation between the two traditional antagonists can be quite interesting.
    thats not a civil issue though, thats a cultural one and has no place in this context. In this context, religious displays are allowed at the state capital.

  3. #663
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    So anyone who hasn't filed a lawsuit on behalf of the 2nd amendment is a communist, according to your highly developed understanding of economic positions?
    I'm saying that any organization that openly lies to public saying they support the Constituion and the Bill of Rights---when they most certainly do not----are dishonest.

    An organization that was founded by communists, was found to be a pro-communist organization by the government, and spent decades defending communists and communist ideals---are most likely a communist front.

    Just as a lawyer for the mob will defend his mob bosses. They are rightly called "Mafia Lawyers."

    Communists don't hate guns, they want guns only in the hands of their own: government and police and revolutionaries.

    What's your position on gun control???
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  4. #664
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Religious freedom generally has to be in compliance with the law -- i.e. polygamy isn't available for Mormons even though it's historically associated with the church.
    Polygamy has become allowed because of Islam and other relaxations of the traditional marriage laws. All cultures must decide, or have it decided for them, what they want to keep and what they want to leave behind. We are seeing that flux across the Christian world today and, apart from some vague generalities, most have no idea what will replace these traditions.

  5. #665
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    thats not a civil issue though, thats a cultural one and has no place in this context. In this context, religious displays are allowed at the state capital.
    Do you want to limit the conversation only to whether the vandalism was right or wrong? If so the debate will die rather quickly because it seems everyone agrees it was wrong. Rather than kill it, why not just ignore it?

  6. #666
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you want to limit the conversation only to whether the vandalism was right or wrong? If so the debate will die rather quickly because it seems everyone agrees it was wrong. Rather than kill it, why not just ignore it?
    Multiple people on this thread have suggested that this woman not be punished for committing a crime, instead claiming that she should get a medal or just get off scott free by having a prosecutor ignore it

    So there is a debate even on that very basic subject.

  7. #667
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,175

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So you feel all beliefs are equal?
    Are they not? Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

  8. #668
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    At this point, we are totally off-topic for the op.

    Here is ACLU's stance re 2nd amendment (which has plenty of groups to defend it, it doesn't need the ACLU, but here is their position):
    FAQs | ACLU of Ohio


    They have, though, defended the free speech of 2nd amendment supporters -
    https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/acl...dment-advocate

    You are wrong, sir, to say that the ACLU and I do not support the constitution and bill of rights. Agreeing or disagreeing with some of the positions of communists doesn't make me a communist anymore than agreeing or disagreeing with some of the positions of the republican party makes me republican. (If you look at the mid-50s Republican plank, I actually agree with most of it. Yet I'm not a republican). But yes, I agree with a graduated income tax; that people should all work if they are able; that kids should have a free education and that we shouldn't allow child labor; and that "waste lands" should be rehabilitated and put to use - perhaps as parks, perhaps as farmland. Makes sense - if we have ruined the soil, we should repair it. And I am in favor of inheritance taxes. Call me whatever label you like; will have no impact on me because I value your opinion not at all at this point.

    And now I will no longer veer this far off-topic on this thread. I apologize to all I have offended by going off-topic.
    I've seen their statement. Typical leftist crap.

    I am correct that they have never lifted a finger to denfend the right itself. Talking about it in a ACLU pow-wow is not defending it in court. The ACLU will defend about anyone for "freedom of what they think freedom of speech is"---even the NRA. But of course they won't defend a government of the people, by the people and for the people to have religious displays.

    So at the very least you are only 1/2 communist (adding in central banking). I am fortunately only 1/10 communist at the most.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  9. #669
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I'm saying that any organization that openly lies to public saying they support the Constituion and the Bill of Rights---when they most certainly do not----are dishonest.

    An organization that was founded by communists, was found to be a pro-communist organization by the government, and spent decades defending communists and communist ideals---are most likely a communist front.

    Just as a lawyer for the mob will defend his mob bosses. They are rightly called "Mafia Lawyers."

    Communists don't hate guns, they want guns only in the hands of their own: government and police and revolutionaries.

    What's your position on gun control???
    Not actively supporting every nuance of the Bill of Rights makes a group a communist enterprise?

    You're recklessly throwing around "communist" in a discussion that still has nothing to do with economics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Polygamy has become allowed because of Islam and other relaxations of the traditional marriage laws. All cultures must decide, or have it decided for them, what they want to keep and what they want to leave behind. We are seeing that flux across the Christian world today and, apart from some vague generalities, most have no idea what will replace these traditions.
    Are you discussing US law or internationally? I'm going by US law, since that's where I live and am most familiar with. Polygamy is still not legal or recognized domestically.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  10. #670
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,337

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes. and everyone agrees that vandalism was uncalled for. There is no debate there. But as Satanism is the religion under discussion it can lead to some interesting debate. Satanism has always been opposed by Christians, with their recognition that evil exists in this world, so the confrontation between the two traditional antagonists can be quite interesting.
    So......don't be a satanist, all your problems are over.

    But they have the same right as other religions that are displaying things. If you let one religion display, you need to let all display, otherwise it isn't freedom of religion...is it?
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Page 67 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •