Page 64 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 813

Thread: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol[W:649]

  1. #631
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I don't believe anything in the First Amendment requires any government to recognize any nonsense at all as a religion. The notion that we have to let every bunch of nuts that comes down the pike do whatever they please, in the name of tolerance, is crap. The fact is these nuts are hostile to Christianity and pull stunts like this one as part of a strategy of purging it from this country's public life through intimidation. They get some lawyer and threaten to sue if their demands are not met, and all too often, the locals lose their guts and give in to the threat, rather than spend the money to fight it out in court.

    The Supreme Court's decisions on religious displays in public places are complex and not particularly coherent, but they make clear that not every single group that claims to be religious has to be accommodated, in every situation. Pleasant Grove City, Utah, v. Summum, for example, a 2009 decision, concerned the right of the Summum religion to put up in a city park a monument containing the "Seven Aphorisms of Summum." The monument was to be similar physically to a monument containing the Ten Commandments that the Fraternal Order of Eagles had put up in the park several decades earlier.

    Pleasant Grove didn't want the damned thing in its park--and it got its way. The Court held that the city's decisions about which monuments to accept for display in the park were government speech, and as such not a First Amendment concern. The city was free to accept or reject a private monument for display as it pleased, as long as it could not reasonably be seen as endorsing a religion by accepting a particular monument.
    NO matter how many BS words you post, it won't change the fact that this woman damaged property that didn't belong to her which is vandalism

    You are supporting criminal behavior because you like the religion of the perpetrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #632
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    If you support the ACLU then you don't support the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. The second-most important individual right, the 2nd Amendment, has never, ever been defended by the ACLU. Radical Liberals and communists have no real tolerance for such rights.

    Let's see who is the most communist. How many of the 10 tenets of Communism do you support?

    I only support the idea of a Central Bank with a state currency.
    At this point, we are totally off-topic for the op.

    Here is ACLU's stance re 2nd amendment (which has plenty of groups to defend it, it doesn't need the ACLU, but here is their position):
    FAQs | ACLU of Ohio
    The ACLU has often been criticized for “ignoring the Second Amendment,” and refusing to fight for an individual’s right to own a gun or other weapons. The ACLU, however, has not ignored this issue. The national ACLU Board of Directors has in fact discussed the civil liberties aspects of the Second Amendment many times. We believe that the constitutional right to bear arms is primarily a collective one, intended mainly to protect the right of the states to maintain militias to assure their own freedom and security against the central government. In today’s world, that idea is somewhat anachronistic and in any case would require weapons much more powerful than handguns or hunting rifles. The ACLU therefore believes that the Second Amendment does not confer an unlimited right upon individuals to own guns or other weapons nor does it prohibit reasonable regulation of gun ownership, such as licensing and registration.
    They have, though, defended the free speech of 2nd amendment supporters -
    https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/acl...dment-advocate

    You are wrong, sir, to say that the ACLU and I do not support the constitution and bill of rights. Agreeing or disagreeing with some of the positions of communists doesn't make me a communist anymore than agreeing or disagreeing with some of the positions of the republican party makes me republican. (If you look at the mid-50s Republican plank, I actually agree with most of it. Yet I'm not a republican). But yes, I agree with a graduated income tax; that people should all work if they are able; that kids should have a free education and that we shouldn't allow child labor; and that "waste lands" should be rehabilitated and put to use - perhaps as parks, perhaps as farmland. Makes sense - if we have ruined the soil, we should repair it. And I am in favor of inheritance taxes. Call me whatever label you like; will have no impact on me because I value your opinion not at all at this point.

    And now I will no longer veer this far off-topic on this thread. I apologize to all I have offended by going off-topic.

  3. #633
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    And yet another display of tolerance...
    Not every act that every person engages in should be tolerated, just because they claim it is an expression of their religious beliefs. If, say at Christmas time, some cult that believes in torturing infants to death as a sacrifice to its god wants to put up a public display depicting one of its rituals, nothing requires the people who live there to allow it.

  4. #634
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,187

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So what are the Satanists celebrating during Christmas?
    Anything they damn well please...

  5. #635
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Not every act that every person engages in should be tolerated, just because they claim it is an expression of their religious beliefs. If, say at Christmas time, some cult that believes in torturing infants to death as a sacrifice to its god wants to put up a public display depicting one of its rituals, nothing requires the people who live there to allow it.
    Well duh.

    There are limitations to religious freedom. Your own religion disagreeing with someone else's religion isn't one of them.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  6. #636
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Not every act that every person engages in should be tolerated, just because they claim it is an expression of their religious beliefs. If, say at Christmas time, some cult that believes in torturing infants to death as a sacrifice to its god wants to put up a public display depicting one of its rituals, nothing requires the people who live there to allow it.
    I mean, if you're actually going to sacrifice an infant, sure. Did this display include the the sacrifice of infants?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #637
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    A) citation needed regarding 90% of ACLU cases "defending communists."

    B) You either didn't read or didn't comprehend the "association fallacy" link I included because your post is still limited to that.

    Association fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    C) the separation of church and state is hardly a "poor excuse" considering the wins the ACLU has made using it.
    I don't have a full week to go over the thousands of ACLU cases and postions of all the state ACLU chapters. However, given the full record of ACLU's major cases over the decades, the defense of communists into the 1950's was a major aim of the ACLU. Contrast that to the one famous case of them allowing the Nazis to march in Skokie.

    American Civil Liberties Union.

    The prime objectives of the ACLU are:

    Removing Christian faith from any government entity.

    Allowing free speech of individuals as long as they can in no way be linked to the above---so isn't really advocating freedom of speech.

    Promotion of homosexaulity---absoultely contraray to Biblical laws.

    https://www.aclu.org/aclu-defense-re...and-expression

    However, in addition to the 2nd Amendment, the ACLU has not given any attention to:

    VI Demanding a speedy trial---as the ACLU enjoys the current 15 year delay and endless appeals that most death row imates enjoy before they are executed.

    VIII By even thinking cruel and unusual punishment is anything other than what the Founders said it was in 1787.

    IX and X. With the ACLU not beliving that local and state governments are not offered the same protections as citizens.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  8. #638
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Anything they damn well please...
    Another absolutely scintillating contribution to this thread. Thank you so much.

  9. #639
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    yeah, i don't see the founders tearing up random stuff...

    they were more civilized than that lady
    I think Jefferson, Madison and Hamilton would have personally put tar and feathers on any Satanist putting up a satanic display on their city property.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  10. #640
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I don't have a full week to go over the thousands of ACLU cases and postions of all the state ACLU chapters. However, given the full record of ACLU's major cases over the decades, the defense of communists into the 1950's was a major aim of the ACLU. Contrast that to the one famous case of them allowing the Nazis to march in Skokie.

    American Civil Liberties Union.

    The prime objectives of the ACLU are:

    Removing Christian faith from any government entity.

    Allowing free speech of individuals as long as they can in no way be linked to the above---so isn't really advocating freedom of speech.

    Promotion of homosexaulity---absoultely contraray to Biblical laws.

    https://www.aclu.org/aclu-defense-re...and-expression

    However, in addition to the 2nd Amendment, the ACLU has not given any attention to:

    VI Demanding a speedy trial---as the ACLU enjoys the current 15 year delay and endless appeals that most death row imates enjoy before they are executed.

    VIII By even thinking cruel and unusual punishment is anything other than what the Founders said it was in 1787.

    IX and X. With the ACLU not beliving that local and state governments are not offered the same protections as citizens.
    If you're making up figures, we're going to have even more trouble having an adult conversation with you already making up definitions too.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

Page 64 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •