Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 813

Thread: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol[W:649]

  1. #371
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Taken with their other statements, it amounts to mockery. But thanks for at least admitting you were off base by referring to it as an alternative.

    These people aren't a church, they don't even worship satan. Their stated goal is to force the removal of all religious displays from public property.
    It is an interpretation, nothing more. It wasn't "way off base". You had not provided, and continue to not provide, evidence that this is mocking. I gave an alternative and asked if your perception is all that is necessary and off of that is it legitimate to infringe upon expression.

    Noticed you never addressed those.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #372
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    You seem to have a problem with freedom of religion....when it isn't your religion.

    How unamerican
    You seem to have a problem with reality. But you're in good company.

  3. #373
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It is an interpretation, nothing more. It wasn't "way off base". You had not provided, and continue to not provide, evidence that this is mocking. I gave an alternative and asked if your perception is all that is necessary and off of that is it legitimate to infringe upon expression.

    Noticed you never addressed those.
    If the stated purpose of TST is media attention, and removal of all religious displays from the public square, how is it not mockery?

  4. #374
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Taken with their other statements, it amounts to mockery. But thanks for at least admitting you were off base by referring to it as an alternative.

    These people aren't a church, they don't even worship satan. Their stated goal is to force the removal of all religious displays from public property.
    And if you oppose their freedom to put their beliefs on public property, then you believe in applying religious freedom selectively. You want the United States government to decide what counts as a religion and what doesn't. That's an awful lot of faith you have in the government.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #375
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    You seem to have a problem with reality. But you're in good company.
    No, are you for freedom of religion? Then you better be for freedom of ALL religions, or you are a hypocrite.

    You just want the rules to apply to the religion you agree with. That is unamerican.

    And it is cowardly.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  6. #376
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Hey Ikari, you sure you wanna stick to your position that Christian hatred is "exaggerated"?
    No one hates christian, but some of us think that their hateful compulsion to mock others with their religious displays is silly

    Why do christians hate other religions?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #377
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    No, are you for freedom of religion? Then you better be for freedom of ALL religions, or you are a hypocrite.

    You just want the rules to apply to the religion you agree with. That is unamerican.

    And it is cowardly.
    Where did I state I was not in favor of freedom for all religions? Quote?

  8. #378
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    If the stated purpose of TST is media attention, and removal of all religious displays from the public square, how is it not mockery?
    By being an expression to pull attention to the overall act of allowing religious display on public land, not necessarily mocking another religion in and of itself.

    You're the one who restricted it to only mockery, but that'sbjust your perception of this scenario, it may not be made to mock religion. Is that perception all that is necessary to legitimately infringe upon expression?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #379
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Where did I state I was not in favor of freedom for all religions? Quote?
    If you aren't, then quit whining about the satanic display.

    Either have all religions that want to display....or none.

    Very easy if you actually think about it.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #380
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Woman arrested after damaging Satanic display at Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    By being an expression to pull attention to the overall act of allowing religious display on public land, not necessarily mocking another religion in and of itself.

    You're the one who restricted it to only mockery, but that'sbjust your perception of this scenario, it may not be made to mock religion. Is that perception all that is necessary to legitimately infringe upon expression?
    So you at least entertain the possibility that it could be mockery. Fair enough, I disagree, but fair enough.

Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •