Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 106

Thread: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Not to be dense (okay, maybe a little dense) but NK has the internet capabilities of me in 1991. Do we actually know for a fact that NK was responsible for the Sony hack?
    You realize that NK is a Chinese sock, right? NK is China doing what China can't be seen doing right now.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Box office is one thing, so is international distribution.
    Yes, and Sony's profit from either is insignificant. Their profit comes from licensing deals. Get serious.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, and Sony's profit from either is insignificant. Their profit comes from licensing deals. Get serious.
    • Leading film markets worldwide by gross box office revenue 2013 | Statistic
    Im sorry, you are incorrect sony often makes more from the international market than they do in the US alone. But im sure you are privy to "facts" nobody else has, no doubt.

    The international movie market is huge to Sony, facts are stubborn things.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]


  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    • Leading film markets worldwide by gross box office revenue 2013 | Statistic
    Im sorry, you are incorrect sony often makes more from the international market than they do in the US alone. But im sure you are privy to "facts" nobody else has, no doubt.

    The international movie market is huge to Sony, facts are stubborn things.
    Yep, you still don't know what you're discussing and it's so painfully obvious. I guess you must feel bad about getting obliterated in that Cuba thread so you're now here pretending you actually have a clue how this business works. Sigh, alright:

    First fact: Sony's market share stands at 12% of actual box office returns: 2014 Market Share and Box Office Results by Movie Studio - in raw numbers, 1.2 billion
    Second fact: Sony/Columbia's current 2014 revenue is 78 billion dollars. • Sony: total revenue 2008-2014 | Statistic
    Third fact: This movie was estimated to bring in around 100 million. In short, it was going to bring in both production costs (44 million), marketing costs (estimated at 35 million) and just enough to turn a profit of a whopping 21 million dollars. Sony The Interview Loss - Business Insider

    By not going putting into theaters, Sony lost 0.0175% of Sony/Columbia's annual revenue and 0.0026% of its entire revenue. Big deal on a what if estimate that wasn't guaranteed and doesn't take into account the percentage taken in by theater chains.

    Now, with that said, Sony's revenue on licensing Seinfeld alone provides 1/4th of the total profit that The Interview was going to give back at the box office. That doesn't sound like a lot of money until you realize that this is for only 9 stations. In other words, by licensing just one show to 36 different stations, Sony already made what the The Interview was going to make from the box office of The Interview without even taking into account the percentage taken by theater chains. Now, if that doesn't tell you how irrelevant box office returns really are (mostly because of how many mouths eat before Sony actually gets a dollar), by not releasing this movie, they're losing out on:

    A) the millions of dollars which come as a result of syndication
    B) the millions which come from pay per view
    C) the millions which would have from streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.

    Do you realize why you're wrong to outright claim that Sony lost its profit? That's simply nonsensical. The majority of its profit actually comes from licensing these movies out to thousands of stations around the globe. Say it licensed this movie to a hundred stations (being conservative here) in the US for 20K over a 1 month period. That would put give Sony nearly $2,000,000 USD in profits or 10% of its estimated box office revenue. It wouldn't have to share in any way with theaters. Now, by not releasing the film, guess how much profit Sony makes?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

    As I said, Sony's revenue doesn't really come from box office returns. That's chump change as comedies are gigantic risks. It comes from licensing these movies ou However, if you think I'm wrong, we'll see by the end of the month when actual revenue for this movie comes back. I'm putting its revenue from this movie somewhere at 200 to 300 million mostly because I think what Sony is doing is testing PVOD's capacity to draw millions and avoid the risky loss that comes with normal openings. At worst, it breaks even and the movie makes the same it would have at theaters thereby not actually really losing any profit at all.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-25-14 at 05:01 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yep, you still don't know what you're discussing and it's so painfully obvious. I guess you must feel bad about getting obliterated in that Cuba thread so you're now here pretending you actually have a clue how this business works. Sigh, alright:

    First fact: Sony's market share stands at 12% of actual box office returns: 2014 Market Share and Box Office Results by Movie Studio - in raw numbers, 1.2 billion
    Second fact: Sony/Columbia's current 2014 revenue is 78 billion dollars. • Sony: total revenue 2008-2014 | Statistic
    Third fact: This movie was estimated to bring in around 100 million. In short, it was going to bring in both production costs (44 million), marketing costs (estimated at 35 million) and just enough to turn a profit of a whopping 21 million dollars. Sony The Interview Loss - Business Insider

    By not going putting into theaters, Sony lost 0.0175% of Sony/Columbia's annual revenue and 0.0026% of its entire revenue. Big deal on a what if estimate that wasn't guaranteed and doesn't take into account the percentage taken in by theater chains.

    Now, with that said, Sony's revenue on licensing Seinfeld alone provides 1/4th of the total profit that The Interview was going to give back at the box office. That doesn't sound like a lot of money until you realize that this is for only 9 stations. In other words, by licensing just one show to 36 different stations, Sony already made what the The Interview was going to make from the box office of The Interview without even taking into account the percentage taken by theater chains. Now, if that doesn't tell you how irrelevant box office returns really are (mostly because of how many mouths eat before Sony actually gets a dollar), by not releasing this movie, they're losing out on:

    A) the millions of dollars which come as a result of syndication
    B) the millions which come from pay per view
    C) the millions which would have from streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.

    Do you realize why you're wrong to outright claim that Sony lost its profit? That's simply nonsensical. The majority of its profit actually comes from licensing these movies out to thousands of stations around the globe. Say it licensed this movie to a hundred stations (being conservative here) in the US for 20K over a 1 month period. That would put give Sony nearly $2,000,000 USD in profits or 10% of its estimated box office revenue. It wouldn't have to share in any way with theaters. Now, by not releasing the film, guess how much profit Sony makes?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

    As I said, Sony's revenue doesn't really come from box office returns. That's chump change as comedies are gigantic risks. It comes from licensing these movies ou However, if you think I'm wrong, we'll see by the end of the month when actual revenue for this movie comes back. I'm putting its revenue from this movie somewhere at 200 to 300 million mostly because I think what Sony is doing is testing PVOD's capacity to draw millions and avoid the risky loss that comes with normal openings. At worst, it breaks even and the movie makes the same it would have at theaters thereby not actually really losing any profit at all.
    You said "Yes, and Sony's profit from either is insignificant. Their profit comes from licensing deals. Get serious.
    "
    My point was that sony has an international market, with this movie or not. Keep up the effort, though.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You said "Yes, and Sony's profit from either is insignificant.
    Lmao, yes, because profit from the box office is in fact insignificant. It's literally 1.5% of Sony's total revenue. This movie? It wouldn't even have broken the 0.003% mark. That you think Sony actually "lost its profit" because of it completely ignores where the profit for these movies come from.

    My point was that sony has an international market, with this movie or not.
    Already accounted for in the links provided. You're seriously out of your league here. That you seriously tried to pass off 10 billion in yearly box office revenues for an entire industry without actually bothering to look at how much the company in question makes is pretty laughable. Tell us again how Sony is shaking in its booties after losing an estimated 0.0026% as opposed to the millions in guaranteed revenue it will make from licensing?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-25-14 at 05:25 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Lmao, yes, because profit from the box office is in fact insignificant. It's literally 1.5% of Sony's total revenue. This movie? It wouldn't even have broken the 0.003% mark. That you think Sony actually "lost its profit" because of it completely ignores where the profit for these movies come from.



    Already accounted for in the links provided. You're seriously out of your league here. That you seriously tried to pass off 10 billion in yearly box office revenues for an entire industry without actually bothering to look at how much the company in question makes is pretty laughable. Tell us again how Sony is shaking in its booties after losing an estimated 0.0026% as opposed to the millions in guaranteed revenue it will make from licensing?
    More "insight" from the guys who always knows.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    More "insight" from the guys who always knows.
    Hey, some of us have spent most of our lives outside of a classroom. You should try it sometime, it's great for the knees.

    Merry Christmas!
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: “The Interview” now available on Google Play and YouTube Movies [W:66]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Hey, some of us have spent most of our lives outside of a classroom. You should try it sometime, it's great for the knees.

    Merry Christmas!
    Thats interesting because you think you have a grasp based on 4 minutes online, this isn't the first time you've demonstrated that. Have a happy Kwanza.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •