Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 832

Thread: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

  1. #771
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I seem to be vulnerable to making that error while typing on a mobile phone.

    I expect police to control the situation when a group of people start to riot. However I have the expectation that police should not use force when it is not required.
    I would agree with you, but the standard of when force is percieved to be required is grey. Gotta judge police by the actions they take in response to the situation they saw compared with reality. That is to say, if what they percieve is reasonable given the reality and their action is justified in the situation they percieve, I'm ok with force. If their stated perception is ridiculously different from the reality of the situation, they either need serious help (in the case of a psychological condition), or to be punished (in the case of intentional use of unnecessary and harmful force). Either way, they should probably not be patrolling until it gets cleared up one way or the other.

  2. #772
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The dispatcher only conveyed the bolded above part to the responding officers. Even if you were told that it might be a toy gun do you gamble on that hunch being correct when the gun is pulled on you?
    If that's the case, that's a huge miscommunication, wouldn't you say?

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think your hope of the "good guy" being able to discern between a toy, and real gun in the heat of the moment when the subject is for whatever reason NOT complying with verbal order, is the result of watching too much TV crime drama. These cops are human beings that we task with impossible jobs, then we turn on a dime, and want their heads on a platter when after the fact it isn't crystal clear like we see on Law and Order....

    Also, you speak of a 12 year old like there has never been 12 year olds that would just as soon shoot you dead, and ride their bike away....Must be nice living in your easy viewed world.
    Where did I ****ing say they should have been able to discern between a toy gun? Jesus, you conservatives just throw straw man after straw man, and then pat each other on the back when you knock them down.

    Great job at arguing with a ****ing ghost, j-mac.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #773
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,966

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    it was a huge miscommunication error

    the 911 operator was told that the gun was "probably" a toy

    that information was never given to the patrol officers

    i dont know the procedure in place for such a thing

    it was a large part of the story for the first few days

    i have zero issue with the shooting....mostly because of that

    and even if they were told it "might be" a toy......from a distance it sure in the hell didnt look like one

    put yourself in those officer's shoes......as the kids starts to point that weapon at you

    what do you do?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #774
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    it was a huge miscommunication error

    the 911 operator was told that the gun was "probably" a toy

    that information was never given to the patrol officers

    i dont know the procedure in place for such a thing

    it was a large part of the story for the first few days

    i have zero issue with the shooting....mostly because of that

    and even if they were told it "might be" a toy......from a distance it sure in the hell didnt look like one

    put yourself in those officer's shoes......as the kids starts to point that weapon at you

    what do you do?
    So the police did nothing wrong when they barreled up on the boy and within seconds killed him?

    Why is it never the police who are at fault when a person of color is killed by them?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  5. #775
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,966

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    So the police did nothing wrong when they barreled up on the boy and within seconds killed him?

    Why is it never the police who are at fault when a person of color is killed by them?
    who said that?

    can you show me a quote on this thread where someone, anyone, has said that the police are perfect and never make mistakes?

    i would love to put you in that position.....just to see how you react.......

    someone points a weapon at YOU, and what....you just stand there waiting for them to pull the trigger?

    in this case.....i dont see an error....that is my position......i would have fired also

    and it wouldnt have freaking mattered if the kid was white, brown, black, yellow, or purple

    in my opinion the officer saw the weapon.....not the color of the skin

    but you can believe whatever you want......
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #776
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,597

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Is there no assessing before the toy gun is pulled? For instance, "hey we just got a call that a young kid is pointing a gun at people, though the caller said it could be a toy... maybe we should figure out if he has a real gun before we shoot him?" The video is insane. They know this kid might have a gun or a toy gun, so their genius ****ing plan is to park the car right in front of him, and if he makes a sudden movement to put him on blast?

    Can we be honest and just admit that wasn't handled as well as it could have been?
    What if, the assessment is confirmed, because someone got shot and killed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #777
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    So the police did nothing wrong when they barreled up on the boy and within seconds killed him?

    Why is it never the police who are at fault when a person of color is killed by them?
    Exactly. Why didn't they call from their car asking him to put the gun down? They could stay behind their car doors if they fear the gun is a real one. They didn't even try to negotiate or ask him to lower the gun.

    I agree part of that is the communications issue. But a 12 yr old boy is dead because he had a toy gun. Don't we want to examine why and fix whatever the problem(s) was/were?

    I just didn't think cops were in the habit of firing at 12 yr old boys without at least asking them to drop the gun and waiting a few seconds.

  8. #778
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Exactly. Why didn't they call from their car asking him to put the gun down? They could stay behind their car doors if they fear the gun is a real one. They didn't even try to negotiate or ask him to lower the gun.

    I agree part of that is the communications issue. But a 12 yr old boy is dead because he had a toy gun. Don't we want to examine why and fix whatever the problem(s) was/were?

    I just didn't think cops were in the habit of firing at 12 yr old boys without at least asking them to drop the gun and waiting a few seconds.
    Have you seen the John Crawford video? It's ****ing insane.

    You just see a guy being a guy in an aisle. Standing... standing... looking at ****. And then, he hits the floor from being shot. In an open carry state. With a toy gun.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #779
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Have you seen the John Crawford video? It's ****ing insane.

    You just see a guy being a guy in an aisle. Standing... standing... looking at ****. And then, he hits the floor from being shot. In an open carry state. With a toy gun.
    Exactly. What kind of training says to open fire in a store (with shoppers there) before even asking the guy to drop the gun?

  10. #780
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,329

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    This whole false narrative based on Police brutality and disproportionate enforcement is one big red herring.

    A diversion from the REAL issues that plague inner city areas.

    Generational poverty and dependance, black on black crime.

    Its all being ignored ( on purpose ) because you would need to criticize the policies that allowed these problems to grow in order to make things better.

    Progressive policies.

Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •