Page 58 of 84 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 832

Thread: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

  1. #571
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I don't even think you know what that means, because it literally makes no sense. You can't just go around throwing "race baiters" into every sentence and expect to sound smart.

    Answer the ****ing question. Is racism dead? If not, what occasion is it not "race baiting" to talk about race?
    'Racism' will never die because a percentage of individuals across the racial spectrum are and will be 'racist'. Now...if you want to talk about 'when' then probably 'when' would be when there are actual instances of racism to discuss. Mind you...once you open the door, it will have certain repercussions. for example...if you are wanting to duscuss institutionalized britality and assign that action to a group...say...'the cops', then you are also going to have a discussion about the brutality of 'the blacks'. Thats the bi-product of deciding to embrace bigotry against a group...you immediately put aside the details and start using the broad brush.

    But lets talk about the current thread and in fact the ongoing debate over 'the police' and brutality. Are you stating you want to discuss 'racism' because of these incidents? That means you have decided the incidents occured not because of police brutality but because of police racism...correct? So...

    -Mike Brown was a thug. The more we know about him, the more that has become obvious. Was Mike Brown shot because the cop was racist? Were black businesses looted and robbed and a town destroyed over a racist cop?
    -Eric Garner was a 31 time loser with charges including the same offense he was being accused of, assault, robbery, domestic violence, and resisting arrest. When the police attempted to arrest him he had a heart attack. He wasnt beated or shot. Were the cops that 'killed' Eric Garner racist?
    -In Berkely Mo...a man pulled a gun on a cop and as a result was shot dead. Was the cop that responded to having a gun pulled on him racist?

    3 direct incidents involving thugs and morons who happen to be black. Theres a common thread...so where the blacks 'racist'? Do you have a problem with the fact that a majority of crimes in this country are committed by an extreme minority of a minority? Should there be protests against 'the blacks' because of the actions of a minority of a minority group?

    I cant imagine anyone that is actually engaging their brain looking at those three cases and say that those men are dead because of racist cops. And yet...here we are.

  2. #572
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    How about a trial by jury? The grand jury is not a trial.

    i am all for it

    as long as those that want it, pay for it

    the DA used the grand jury to decide if there was a case "worth" prosecuting

    the response in both cases......no

    so....all of you that that a trial, just open your wallets

    hire your own special prosecutor.....your team of experts.....pay for the whole shebang

    be willing to shell out millions for exactly what you have now though.....

    an acquittal, or a hung jury..........

    hell then you can do it again just for ****s and grins

    how much are you willing to spend?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #573
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Want to post pictures and cartoons, we can do that, I'll post the jackbooted thug ones, and you post the others.

    Attachment 67177844
    You realize posting random picture of cops and assigning all cops the same characteristics and identity and then branding them all with a denigrating name is no different than saying all blacks are criminals because a percentage of them are, and then calling them all 'niggers'...right? Congratulations on your successful self-exposure as a bigot.

  4. #574
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,177

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Given that things like de facto segregation via horrible zoning and school funding still persist, I think it's time we live in the present.

    Largely minority areas are treated like dirt in the U.S., and it's high time we recognized that fact rather than scream "RACE BAITER" at the people who point that out.

    (not having a go at you, John, but it happens here a lot)
    Fair enough - I don't have the personal experience or history to dispute what you say.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #575
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    FunnyJunk, actually


    ....not that any of it is original content....
    What's the source?

    Perhaps someone could image search and find it.

  6. #576
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You got mad. You lost the game.

    Here's your consolation prize:

    NSFW


    That's who the Ferguson protesters are all about. That's who they're defending. That's who their marching for. That's the behavior they endorse, in addition to cop killing.
    Is that really a video of Mike Brown?

    Whoever it is...they sure are oppressing that poor black man.

  7. #577
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What's the source?

    Perhaps someone could image search and find it.
    You can. Just right-click and select "serch google for this immage".

  8. #578
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You can. Just right-click and select "serch google for this immage".
    Why not just tell us where you got it?

  9. #579
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I cant imagine anyone that is actually engaging their brain looking at those three cases and say that those men are dead because of racist cops. And yet...here we are. (trimmed quote as to not take up whole page quoting post)
    Thank you for the thought-out reply. I'm glad we have arrived here, because I agree in some ways with your post. Especially in these three cases, there is a valid reason for police involvement. Any time you are violent with a police officer, such as the case with Mike Brown and the recent case in Missouri, there is justification of a police officer involved shooting. Regarding the Garner case, I believe the case is a bit more complicated than that, but you could argue that racism didn't play a role.

    I understand that frustration: cops have to make tough decisions each day and it's sometimes unfair to put them under a microscope. What would you do if a giant guy was charging at you after punching you in the face a few times? I don't know. I get that.

    Where I diverge with you is that the riots/protests/unrest/anger comes from these cases. These cases are the figurative straws that have piled on over time, and are starting to really cause the camel's knees to buckle. Let's not also forget, during this same time period:

    -Tamir Rice was killed after apparently pointing a toy gun at passerbys.
    -John Crawford was killed while walking around a Walmart with a toy gun
    -Levar Jones was shot when an officer asked him for his ID and he went into the dash to get it.

    I'm sure there are others, but 5 of those incidents (Rice, Crawford, Jones, Brown, and Garner acquittal) happened within a short period of time. To me, the most unfortunate part of it all is that it is centered around Mike Brown - because the details in that case are shady at best, and there is a weak argument for police brutality or racism. However, when the story first came out, the details were insane - this ****ing guy was just walking down the road and he got shot after running away from a confrontation with the cops that he didn't start!

    Civil unrest doesn't occur because one guy got shot. It's an accumulation of feelings over the course of years. It is unfortunate that it was a case like the Mike Brown case that caused it to boil over, and not the Tamir Rice, John Crawford, or Levar Jones cases that directly ensued. But even though the unrest semi-centers around a dubious case, the numbers of deaths and arrests show where the cause is coming from:

    Trends in Mortality Due to Legal Intervention in the United States, 1979 Through 1997
    When mortality was stratified by race and sex (in legal police interventions), death rates of Black males on average were 4.7 times those of White males from 1979 to 1988 and averaged 3.2 times higher from 1988 to 1997 (ranges = 3.4–6.7 times and 2.6–5.0 times, respectively).
    Now the above statistic comes with the caveat that the death rate nearly matches the intervention rate of each:
    In support of this explanation, deaths due to legal intervention exhibit a distribution by race (63% White, 34% Black) similar to that of all US arrests (67% White, 31% Black).
    So blacks are slightly more likely to die during an intervention than whites, but what are the odds of police intervention?

    Racial gap in U.S. arrest rates: 'Staggering disparity'
    Blacks are more likely than others to be arrested in almost every city for almost every type of crime. Nationwide, black people are arrested at higher rates for crimes as serious as murder and assault, and as minor as loitering and marijuana possession.
    Arrest rates are lopsided almost everywhere. Only 173 of the 3,538 police departments USA TODAY examined arrested black people at a rate equal to or lower than other racial groups.
    So if rates of death during intervention are relatively equal across races, then perhaps the issue is just police intervention by race. Now, unless you truly think that black people are just breaking the law at ridiculously higher rates than all other races (in some areas up to 9x the arrest rates of others), then there must be some sort of profiling and institutional racism that is occurring. Personally, I think these statistics bode well for one major reason:

    It shows that this is an institutional problem - not a case-by-case "the officer is racist" problem.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 12-26-14 at 12:48 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #580
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Why not just tell us where you got it?
    I told you, FunnyJunk.

Page 58 of 84 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •