Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 832

Thread: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

  1. #201
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    People are jumping to conclusions (as usual). Some say the police officer was harassing a convenience store customer because he was shopping while black. Others say with certainty that the teen pointed a gun at the officer.

    We have a video (shot from a great distance and inconclusive in my opinion). I'll put sound to it; any of these three versions are perfectly possible and as of now we have no idea which one is true.

    Version 1: Teen comes out of the store talking to his friend: "I heard a voice telling me that cops are actually infiltrated aliens and they are out to kill all human beings. It is my duty to shoot them at first sight." Friend: "Man, I told you not to stop your antipsychotic medication. You need to go back to see your psychiatrist; you will get in trouble!" Cop comes out of his car and says "Good evening, nice young gentlemen. I saw you coming out of that store, and I'd like to ask you; do they sell donuts there?" Teen: "Get away, alien from outer space; you don't fool me; I'll kill you!" [Pulls gun, aims it at officer, gets shot, dies].

    Version 2: Teen comes out of the store talking to his friend: "You know, I hate the police in this area. They seem to be racially profiling people like us." Cop comes out of his car and says "Good evening, gentlemen. We received a report of some trouble in this area and I'm patrolling. I'd like you to please tell me your intentions and whereabouts." Teen: "You motherf...r pig, I bet you're about to shoot me like you did to the guy in Ferguson just because I'm black; only, you are gay and a coward so I dare you to do it to me; I know a pig and chicken like you doesn't have it in your guts, I dare you to do it." Teen points his arm to cop (no gun) and taunts cop aggressively. Cop loses control, gets angry, shoots teen.

    Version 3: Teen comes out of the store talking to his friend: "The weather is a bit cold tonight." Cop comes out of the car and says "That psychiatric medication I was taking is sh!t, I'm glad I tossed it in the garbage because now the voices in my head are telling me the truth that the two of you are infiltrated aliens I need to kill. Where are you going?" Teen says "Whoa, officer, calm down, I was just going to my cousin's home out there" (raises arm, no gun, points to the street where his cousin lives). Cop says "no, you are an outer space alien. There, I'll show you" (pulls gun, kills teen).

    --------

    OK, I'm exaggerating a bit the psychotic guy who quit his psychiatric medication and is seeing space aliens around which is not very likely, just for the sake of the argument, but what I'm saying is that anything could have happened, from the cop talking calmly to the teen and getting threatened with a gun for no reason, to an incident fueled by the race tensions in that area getting out of hand again, from the cop being deranged and acting with completely unjustified force.

    At this time we have no idea about what happened except that the police sustain that the teen pointed a gun at the cop, which may or may not be true (see post #66).

    All other assumptions are premature until more facts are known.

  2. #202
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun..... [W:22]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    There was nothing "routine" about my contact with the officer and he was definitely probing for potential criminal activity. Apparently the right call then would be to not answer his questions. Silly me, I actually wanted him to know that I wasn't a burglar and oddly, he didn't try to insist that I was one once I could answer his questions (and he finally allowed me to grab my ID). Clearly I was lucky to be dealing the last cop on earth that didn't just throw me on the ground and shoot me

    That's funny, the right to a jury trial is also in the Constitution but people still seem to only support that right as long as the jury comes back with a decision they agree with.
    It's your discretion, X Factor. You felt comfortable that it would work out. That's fine. No one is saying you can't answer questions, just that it's not a good blanket statement that you should always answer questions.

    Also, cmon with that grand jury statement. That's a straw man and you know it.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #203
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    If asking an officer "why am I being arrested" or "should I get a lawyer" escalates a situation, then the police have a problem and need to be re-trained. Thank you for unwittingly highlighting the problem of excessive force and please stay in Canada.
    If there were more irrational people, people spoiling for a fight, in America as your post seems to condone, I'd likely stay in Canada. I know, however, that the vast majority of people in America, at least the ones I've encountered, no matter their race or ethnicity, have been good, honest, open and welcoming people and a pleasure to be around. I will say, anecdotally, that several black Americans have complimented me at times on my manners and politeness when in conversation with them - this includes a host of service industry staff.

    Perhaps it's not this Canadian who's the problem but the giant chips on some people's shoulders.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Look, it's your discretion. But if you ever aren't sure, there is no harm in remaining silent and asking for a lawyer. In the case you mentioned, I would probably explain myself; but I don't have to and it should work out the same - just with a lot more hoops.

    The one thing you don't want to do is resist lawful question and arrests or pull a ****ing gun.
    Why? Who cares if the question is lawful? Why does that matter? Because they will arrest you if you don't play along? Is that it?

  5. #205
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The only reason you support the protesters is that you didn't take the time to read on the incident. The convenience store footage has been released and the guy did indeed pull a gun. It was an unregistered gun with the numbers filed off. This thug has a long record with the police.

    The protesters should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly to ensure that this sort of stupidity isn't passed down to future generations.
    I have to admit, your last line made me laugh - thanks!
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #206
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why? Who cares if the question is lawful? Why does that matter? Because they will arrest you if you don't play along? Is that it?
    If you are being detained lawfully, I don't think you should try to fight physically with people.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    If you are being detained lawfully, I don't think you should try to fight physically with people.
    They will fight me if I don't play along, so...

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Why would I resist arrest? If I was arrested for no reason and treated unjustly I would sue their ****ing balls off, though.
    Because jail is a terrible place you don't want to be.

  9. #209
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    They will fight me if I don't play along, so...
    Follow due process. Those are the rules we agreed to in the society (that you don't believe in) we live in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because jail is a terrible place you don't want to be.
    Agreed. I still wouldn't resist arrest personally - even if I felt it wasn't justified. I feel like that's where due process comes in and civil courts handle these types of situations best.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Police: Officer in Missouri shot, Killed man who Pulled Gun.....

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Follow due process. Those are the rules we agreed to in the society (that you don't believe in) we live in.
    Oh great, the we agreed to something argument.

Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •