Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

  1. #51
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Because humans possess a special dignity that animals don't.
    What dignity is that? We eat, we ****, we murder, we have sex, we are nice to our friends, we curl up together for warmth. What special dignity do we have that animals don't?

    We are just another animal on this planet - albeit animals that have used our brains and opposable thumbs to dominate the other animals. We're still animals.

  2. #52
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Because humans possess a special dignity that animals don't.
    Not based on my lifetime of observations.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #53
    Professor
    Glowpun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    And bury her with it?
    In my home country in ancient times it was customary as was the custom with many other cultures.

    If pets are legally property, the owner of said property has the right to "dispose" of such property in any manner they wish. However, in some states it is illegal to kill pets.

    Should I predecease my pets I would want them to come with me into the afterlife.

  4. #54
    Advisor Brother AJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    560
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by Glowpun View Post
    In my home country in ancient times it was customary as was the custom with many other cultures.

    If pets are legally property, the owner of said property has the right to "dispose" of such property in any manner they wish. However, in some states it is illegal to kill pets.
    And it should be illegal everywhere.

    Should I predecease my pets I would want them to come with me into the afterlife.
    I think your pets would appreciate it more if you didn't force your religious beliefs on to them.

  5. #55
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by Glowpun View Post
    In my home country in ancient times it was customary as was the custom with many other cultures.
    We're not there.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #56
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Oh....she must have been a Viking.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #57
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Part of me empathizes with the woman, whose first choice was to have the dog taken to a no-kill animal shelter to be cared for the rest of its life. However, her estate didn't have enough money for that to happen.

    This made me think, what if my husband and I die and leave our three adult cats? We have no friends or family who will take them. The authorities will simply crate them up and send them to the pound, where they will shake with terror until they are finally dragged out of the cage by strangers and murdered, alone and unloved.

    I don't know. Even thinking about this has made me tear up. Our pets are so dear to us, and they are our responsibility. What happens when we are gone?
    Hi DiAnna, what you need to do is make sure there is something in your will to care for your cats. You can set aside a small sum (it doesn't have to be a lot) and also find a local no-kill shelter, and specifically name them in your will. They will take your kitties with the donation, and either hold on to them until they're adopted, or let them live in the shelter until they also go.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    What dignity is that? We eat, we ****, we murder, we have sex, we are nice to our friends, we curl up together for warmth. What special dignity do we have that animals don't?

    We are just another animal on this planet - albeit animals that have used our brains and opposable thumbs to dominate the other animals. We're still animals.
    It's the "albeit" that makes all the difference. When the other animals can join us in this discussion, I will then regard myself as "just another animal."

  9. #59
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    It's the "albeit" that makes all the difference. When the other animals can join us in this discussion, I will then regard myself as "just another animal."
    Can you join with the birds in flight and sing along with them?

    Can you communicate with lions in a herd on how to hunt the next zebra?

    Are you able to find your way back to your birthplace like salmon can, struggling up rivers after being away for a couple years?

    Animals all have their particular talents. We're still just animals.

    However, if you choose to consider yourself as something other than animal, that is of course up to you.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Deceased Woman Wants Dog Killed, Buried With Her

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Can you join with the birds in flight and sing along with them?

    Can you communicate with lions in a herd on how to hunt the next zebra?

    Are you able to find your way back to your birthplace like salmon can, struggling up rivers after being away for a couple years?

    Animals all have their particular talents. We're still just animals.

    However, if you choose to consider yourself as something other than animal, that is of course up to you.
    Exactly my point, Paddy. Because I am capable of advanced reasoning, I am able to consider who I am.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •